Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3 Boom

SmoothWaterMan

Here it is folks, the boom to fit all G3 towers.

Beta version shown, meaning it was spray painted instead of anodized, and components were welded instead of milled. Outer section borrowed from Skylon for testing.

Test boat is a 2011 VTX. Filmed this morning in the cold....

Prices are being worked up, but there will likely be a price set for the first 5 orders, and then it will be revisited to see if that price can be kept for all production, or need to be raised.

Thanks,

Peter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIzXarf-ftk

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

That boom looks great and the barefooting too.

Is there anyone with this boom for a 2009 XS tower? I would be interested.

Nope, time to trade up Dave. :)

pb

Nice Peter, Did you design this boom ? I like how it all just comes apart no tools needed. Are you thinking about some kind of strap or leash to lessen the chance of dropping locking pins in water? It looks like a lot of thought went into the boom. Nice video it looks cold the trees have changes color that's why my boat is winterized already. Great job, this is why Malibu is the best. Paul

Paul G, the receiver simply gets sandwiched between the tower base and the deck, as you surmised correctly. The one shown is a welded assembly, the production unit will be milled, but mounted under the tower the same way. And I'm the fat guy in the middle, the one that pins and unpins the boom. :)

Apparently it's not clear by some comments I've gotten, that the support rod bracket has 3 height adjustment holes in it, although the rod may also get opposite threaded ends to one can just spin the rod. Due to the attachment point it doesn't take a lot of movement to move the boom a lot.

Paul K, lanyards were also suggested by a customer, so I'll look into that. In terms of weather, while the water is always warmer behind a Malibu, that air/temp gauge was lying. I felt it on the front and back of my head, and when I was floating in the lake waiting to capture the the fly-by video....

Why I don't do these things in July I'll never know.

Peter :)

Paul G, the receiver simply gets sandwiched between the tower base and the deck, as you surmised correctly. The one shown is a welded assembly, the production unit will be milled, but mounted under the tower the same way. And I'm the fat guy in the middle, the one that pins and unpins the boom. :)

Apparently it's not clear by some comments I've gotten, that the support rod bracket has 3 height adjustment holes in it, although the rod may also get opposite threaded ends to one can just spin the rod. Due to the attachment point it doesn't take a lot of movement to move the boom a lot.

Paul K, lanyards were also suggested by a customer, so I'll look into that. In terms of weather, while the water is always warmer behind a Malibu, that air/temp gauge was lying. I felt it on the front and back of my head, and when I was floating in the lake waiting to capture the the fly-by video....

Because your selling boats!!!!!!!!!!

Great job on the boom & demo video.

-Paul

Just shot a quick and dirty video for the Axis beta version late today, as it appears we're done for this year. Too many 27-30 degree nights and days only getting to 50.

Over the winter we should have both the G3 Sidewinder and the Axis Sidewinder available.

Thanks,

Peter

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

Nice Job Peter.

To simplify the setup process I'd go with the opposite threaded ends. The other thing would be to have the extension slide out, like the BI tower booms.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

No updates, sorry. Been evaluating a few directions we can take for production, distribution and sales. (Ranging from one at a time with surely a wait time, to stocking hundreds and wondering who to sell them all to) Production has been pushed off for a month as I will not offer this as a low quality item, which means I must be careful to align all aspects to control costs.

I have a growing list of names on a waiting list, so feel free to email me with name and boat model if you'd like to be added to the list.

Thanks,

Peter

• 9 months later...