Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

slime

tvano

the big reason that i use store bought slime is that it is eco friendly.

imho dumping dish detergent into the pond can't be good for my kids kids.

i like the store bought slime because it is

1. easy to wash out
  2. is eco friendly
  3. rig friendly.

i don't like that the store bought slime is

1. not always slippery enough for easy entry and
  2. costs much more (by the gallon) than beer. guess i only use a couple of gallons a year though.

i've tried:

1. shaving creme (corroding containers are not good for the rig)
  2. ky gel (let's be nice)
  3. dilute dish detergent (not eco friendly, doesn't wash out swell)
  4. bar soap (not eco friendly, doesn't wash out swell)
  5. shampoo (not eco friendly, doesn't wash out swell)

twenty questions:

how does slick willie work?

found any great source by the gallon?

brand preference? (Lava Lube, Newt Juice, Moose Juice, Babe's Boot Butter, Loogie Boot Lube, other)

We used Ivory liquid soap our first season.

It is eco friendly - 99.9% biodegradable (Ask your local ranger, it's what they recommend. ) Washed out well, was VERY inexpensive. Only issue was the container. Wacky shape didn't sit in a cup holder and always ended up kicking around the boat. Not 'in it's place.'

Friend of mine had the gallon jug with the 5' extension and squirt end. I really liked the ease of use of the squirt end. I ended up buying a gallon of New Juice (only becuase it was the brand the dealer was selling) and th 5' extension and the squirt end. I poured out 1/2 of the Newt Juice and kept it in a zip lock for later use. And diluted the remaining New Juice in the gallon jug with water.

It's worked great. Over 100 hours and we still haven't gone through the first gallon/dilution.

For the ease of use I'd do it again. Don't know what we'll fill it up with when the time comes, it still has 1/2 a jug full left.

Edited by chathamsolutions

Oh ya, and we haven't seen any bad results on the rubber from using Ivory - though all the pro shop guys told us we would. Bogus propaganda they were fed from all the Newt Juice/ Slime reps I guess.

I've always used Palmolive and been happy with it. i've never liked any of the $10/tube 10oz. stuff from the dealerships.

I am waiting for my new Watson boots to come in so pretty soon I will not have to worry about it any more Biggrin.gif

Edited by Greg_S

Don't need it any more with my hardshells (fluid motion 66s) Yahoo.gif

Have used a little bit of everything, but usually a spray bottle with a mix of soap (insert bio friendly type here) and water. Dr Bonners peppermint soap (you can find it at trader joes) works good, smells good and is environmentally friendly. You can get it at trader joes and a little goes a long way.

http://www.drbronner.com/soaps.html

Edited by Addictedto6

I do the newt juice gallon with the sprayer and keep it in the trunk of the 'bu. It is by far the best set up regardless of the lube brand or type...

I think KY or some of those other "personal lubricants" :lol: they sell now would probably work well. At one point, IIRC, someone was using equine lubricant becuase a gallon was SUPER cheap. Of course, they all have to be eco-friendly :)

Eco-friendly dish soap is pretty easy to find these days since lots of people have become so obsessed with saving the environment - thats fine with me if it keeps our lakes and waterways free of the nastiness!

JZ

The best I've found, by far, in terms of slickness and easily rinsed out is laundry detergent. I buy the cheapest stuff I can find (usually on sale for $1 per gallon at the grocery store) and fill up a shampoo bottle with it. Not sure what it is doing to the water, but it can't be doing THAT much more damage to the environment as this gets rinsed down the drain by millions of households every day, and the stuff is so slippery that you really only use a blob about the size of a quarter. No prob with the rubber bindings.

We use Moose Juice and have been happy with it. It only takes a couple of squirts and the bottle fits in a cup holder. We use about two bottles, 30.00 dollars worth, a year and think it is worth the convenience. It washes off quick and doesn't leave any residue, not like the dish soap we have had to use in a pinch.

We've used J&J Baby shampoo for a couple of years now. I stopped using slime altogether since none of it that I've used seems to wash out well enough for my tastes. One thing that I have tried in the past that works pretty well & is eco friendly is aloe vera gel.

I personally use Newt Juice - haven't gone through enough of it (~gal/yr) to find that cost savings is a major deciding factor... works fine for me

I know Michael works his own goo .... I mean hehe.. he Crazy.gif ... sorry - ok.. composure.. He dilutes conditioner.. that seemed to work well too, and it made my ankle hair very soft and manageable

I personally use Newt Juice - haven't gone through enough of it (~gal/yr) to find that cost savings is a major deciding factor... works fine for me

I know Michael works his own goo .... I mean hehe.. he Crazy.gif ... sorry - ok.. composure.. He dilutes conditioner.. that seemed to work well too, and it made my ankle hair very soft and manageable

ROFL.gifROFL.gif

We use Newt Juice as well.

I do the newt juice gallon with the sprayer and keep it in the trunk of the 'bu. It is by far the best set up regardless of the lube brand or type...

JZ

I'm going with the Gal spray this yr because I used so much last yr with all the new people on the boat. I all mix it 50/50 with water like chathamsolutions

Ivory dish soap in a spray bottle diluted. There is always a bottle to use for replenishment in the galley of the houseboat. Biggrin.gif

I know Michael...dilutes conditioner.. that seemed to work well too, and it made my ankle hair very soft and manageable

Kirkland (Costco) brand "Naturals" conditioner mixed 1 part conditioner to 3 parts water. Suave Naturals works well too. Particularly nice if you like to style your ankle hair like Troy does. Crazy.gif

The Guy that started that Toe Jam stuff is from Austin, I think. It is good slim but the inventor used to walk around at some of the events and eat the stuff...saying it's all natural. Crazy.gif