Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ETX/CAT in saltwater

filftwalton

I run 1/2 in fresh and 1/2 in salt water and am re-installing my OEM 2004 aluminum manifolds after a refurbish of the casting holes. But am looking down the line if I want to continue running aluminum manifolds. As the new ones are ETX/CAT am looking for experiences of running those in salt water. Problems? Life expectancy? Thanks

I run 1/2 in fresh and 1/2 in salt water and am re-installing my OEM 2004 aluminum manifolds after a refurbish of the casting holes. But am looking down the line if I want to continue running aluminum manifolds. As the new ones are ETX/CAT am looking for experiences of running those in salt water. Problems? Life expectancy? Thanks

Well... I think after you price out the project, you will stick with what you have.

• Cat Manifolds are about 1,000 a piece, and you will also need to replace the thermostat housing and re-plumb the motor as far as cooling goes.
  • Now you have to deal with a whole new ECM controller, wiring harness, etc to operate the 02 sensors so you don't fry your new catalyst.
  • Now you have to Change the dash computer / harness because the old system wont be able to talk to the new.

Its possible but i bet you would end up spending $5K in parts or more.

If you really want catalyst, i would recommend looking for a 2007+ Boat that is all set up with them

Hope this helps you out.

Paul

FWIW, our boat is used only in the ocean. Four summers so far out of the etx/cats and no issues. Hoping for a couple more summers out of them.

If you don't have a closed cooling system, I would be more concerned about the aluminum intake manifold on your engine than the exhaust manifolds. Make sure to flush your engine with fresh water after each use and check your oil for signs of water in the oil often.

If you don't have a closed cooling system, I would be more concerned about the aluminum intake manifold on your engine than the exhaust manifolds. Make sure to flush your engine with fresh water after each use and check your oil for signs of water in the oil often.

Have the half-loop system so ocean water still going through the exhaust manifolds. Dealer advised against full-loop at the time due to having issue of cats boiling coolant and it coming out expansion tank all over rear locker with boats they had come in with full-loop system. Not sure if this problem has been rectified at Indmar.

Have the half-loop system so ocean water still going through the exhaust manifolds. Dealer advised against full-loop at the time due to having issue of cats boiling coolant and it coming out expansion tank all over rear locker with boats they had come in with full-loop system. Not sure if this problem has been rectified at Indmar.

have a 340 monsoon with ETX/CAT and closed cooling system (salt water series engine ) after 300 hours on 08 vlx.

salt water goes only through manifolds and boat only used in salt water they still look like new and engine runs better each year !!

indmar rocks!!! but i do flush after every use !

It was rectified. We found that the systems could get air trapped in the top of the manifolds creating a hot spot boiling the coolant. Coolant caps got switched from a 14 to 16 lbs cap, and the systems were vacuumed filled to avoid any air from getting trapped in the system or heater. A vented elbow was also introduced at the top of the exhaust manifold to burp out any little bit of air that might get trapped in the cooling system.

Long story short, its all good!

-Paul

It was rectified. We found that the systems could get air trapped in the top of the manifolds creating a hot spot boiling the coolant. Coolant caps got switched from a 14 to 16 lbs cap, and the systems were vacuumed filled to avoid any air from getting trapped in the system or heater. A vented elbow was also introduced at the top of the exhaust manifold to burp out any little bit of air that might get trapped in the cooling system.

Long story short, its all good!

-Paul

Paul, when my manifolds need to be replaced is there anyway I would be able to upgrade the Monsoon 340 from a half loop system to the full loop system then? It would make sense to do that as then I shouldn't have to replace them ever again.

have a 340 monsoon with ETX/CAT and closed cooling system (salt water series engine ) after 300 hours on 08 vlx.

salt water goes only through manifolds and boat only used in salt water they still look like new and engine runs better each year !!

indmar rocks!!! but i do flush after every use !

After 4 summers on the ocean gotta say the Monsoon 340 runs great on ours too! I thought the salt water series engine didn't have the salt water going through the manifolds? I thought it was coolant? Really happy with how the boat is holding up. Besides some minor flaking of chrome here and there, which I hear some guys on fresh water complain about too, the boat looks great!

Malibu CC, we should start a saltwater thread!

Paul, when my manifolds need to be replaced is there anyway I would be able to upgrade the Monsoon 340 from a half loop system to the full loop system then? It would make sense to do that as then I shouldn't have to replace them ever again.

Possibly, it uses a different heat ex-changer for the half system vs. full so you would pretty much be starting over.My guess is this wont be something that you have to deal with for a long time.

After 4 summers on the ocean gotta say the Monsoon 340 runs great on ours too! I thought the salt water series engine didn't have the salt water going through the manifolds? I thought it was coolant? Really happy with how the boat is holding up. Besides some minor flaking of chrome here and there, which I hear some guys on fresh water complain about too, the boat looks great!

Malibu CC, we should start a saltwater thread!

A Salt Water International thread! We have about 30-40 Full Fresh water systems in our area, customers are really happy and for the most part its so nice you can hardly tell the boat goes in salt water now if they stay up on the maintenance / cleaning.

- Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I think after you price out the project, you will stick with what you have.

• Cat Manifolds are about 1,000 a piece, and you will also need to replace the thermostat housing and re-plumb the motor as far as cooling goes.
  • Now you have to deal with a whole new ECM controller, wiring harness, etc to operate the 02 sensors so you don't fry your new catalyst.
  • Now you have to Change the dash computer / harness because the old system wont be able to talk to the new.

Its possible but i bet you would end up spending $5K in parts or more.

If you really want catalyst, i would recommend looking for a 2007+ Boat that is all set up with them

Hope this helps you out.

Paul

Thanks for that perspective WOW - I had no idea. I have installed the 2004 OEM's and they are working great. I've got my lost horsepower back. Plan on running for another 3 years and inspect with a borescope. That will be at a total of about 8 years.