Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is the 410hp worth the extra $

Flamingturbo

The 410hp is an extra $8800 more than the STD 330hp and an extra $6338 more than the 350hp in Australia

What do you think, enough of a benefit to warrant the extra cost? Will be in a VLX used for a bit of everything, skiing, wake boarding, occasional barefoot, almost 100% fresh water use.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

I have never heard anyone say that their boat was over powered. :whistle:

That said the 350 will do everything you want, If I was ording and $$$ was not an issue I probably would go or the 410 Just because. Some will tell you that it will add to the resale value, this is true but only about half of the upfront cost. I would not let resale affect the decision. In the end it depends on what you want, if the cost will not make a difference on useing the bu and you want the extra power then go for it. But dont let the extra $8800 keep you off the water.

Have fun

It does depend on your use, if you plan on adding a lot of weight to the boat, then it has more value. In standard trim, if you are not looking for a lot of extra power, that is a pretty high price to pay for the extra horsepower that is not strictly needed for the activities planned. The torque number is more representative of what you will feel for most watersport activities other than a top speed run.

Thanks for the feedback, one of my concerns is that for the extra $ the 410hp doesn't really have that much extra torque over the 350hp, we won't be laoding the boat beyond std ballast so I thinke the 350 is the way to go and the extra $ can be put towards something else.

Thanks for the feedback, one of my concerns is that for the extra $ the 410hp doesn't really have that much extra torque over the 350hp, we won't be laoding the boat beyond std ballast so I thinke the 350 is the way to go and the extra $ can be put towards something else.

There's a reason the Monsoon has been around a very long time, I think you're making a wise decision especially based on your usage. 5-10 years from now when it's time to sell you can still say it has an upgraded engine, that information will still impress 95% of buyers.

I have the 410 and love the engine, it's only above 3000rpm or so that it has an advantage. Almost no dealer will recommend the 410 over the monsoon unless you are running very heavy weight. Those prices you quoted are significantly higher than here..... The 410 is 3k more than the monsoon, and the supercharged is 12k$ more than the mOnsoon...those prices are as if yesterday at a dealer....

Those prices are insane. You can buy a new crate motor for less! Normally I'd say go with the better motor and not rock a very outdated GEN-I SBC, but this is one case where price is just a little to much to justify it.

Those prices are insane. You can buy a new crate motor for less! Normally I'd say go with the better motor and not rock a very outdated GEN-I SBC, but this is one case where price is just a little to much to justify it.

:plus1: :plus1:

To be fair the additional cost ($8800) for the 410hp here in Aust also includes the closed cooling system which on its own is $3075. As much as I would like the 410, partly because it is newer technology It is hard to see enough of a benefit for the cost. Boat is ordered with a 350, due mid December.

Edited by Flamingturbo

The 410hp is an extra $8800 more than the STD 330hp and an extra $6338 more than the 350hp in Australia

What do you think, enough of a benefit to warrant the extra cost? Will be in a VLX used for a bit of everything, skiing, wake boarding, occasional barefoot, almost 100% fresh water use.

A buddy I ski with on the Clarence River NSW has the 350 Monsoon in a 2011 VTX. It has full stock ballast, wedge and an additional 1000kg of fat sacks when surfing. The 350 is enough even with 6 adults and 3 kids in the boat for any type of skiing. We did have 10 adults in it surfing the other week and wake was huge

We Australians get screwed by the prices of Malibu's and parts here. Hence why people are importing 2nd hand boats and ordering spares from the US. I was skiing behing a LXI yesterday that was a private import from a dealer on the US east coast. Probably someone on the here old boat???

Spend some $$ on some BLING for the boat .. eg Exile Hybrid system, a hydrofoil ( skyski ) and a ski holiday up the coast :thumbup:

Spend some $$ on some BLING for the boat .. eg Exile Hybrid system, a hydrofoil ( skyski ) and a ski holiday up the coast :thumbup:

Yep, planning on an Exile system from Killer Industries, just waiting for the new digital amps.

In a VLX, I would put a monsoon in it with out question.

-Paul

We have 2007 VLX with a wake prop and its very good even with full tanks and 10 people, though I think without the "tractor" prop and the monsoon it might be a bit slow.

Cheers

Stewart