Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing Poll

Winterizing Method  

101 members have voted

1. 1. How do you winterize your block after drain down? ?

2. 2. Bonus Question...when winterizing

• I store boat w/ FULL tank of gas (w/ stabilizer)
    • I use stabilizer, but store w/ tank as low as possible
    • I store w/ however much gas I ended season with

I thought it might be helpful to run this Poll...merely for Statistical Purposes.

There are plenty of other threads discussing the pros and cons of each method. It is probably best to try to leave the debating to the other threads. Thanks.

Edited by davemac

I just added another question...regarding fuel tank level for storage. If you already voted for Q1 only, I believe you'll have to "delete your vote", and then vote again for both Questions.

Results should be interesting if nothing else.

Feel free to "bump" this thread on occasion to get more of a voting pool.

Edited by davemac

I'm guessing "leave dry" is simply drain the block and no antifreeze ever added.

I would guess filling with antifreeze and then draining for storage falls under the antifreeze category.

Am I right?

I'm guessing "leave dry" is simply drain the block and no antifreeze ever added.

I would guess filling with antifreeze and then draining for storage falls under the antifreeze category.

Am I right?

That is the way I see it. All you would be doing it making sure anti-freeze is mixed with whatever water may be left. I would just keep the anti-freeze in so it can act as a semi lubricate too.

I changed my vote. I'm also interested in the results on the gas issue. That's a great question. I plan on storing mine full to mitigate water contamination due to condensation. Then, I'll siphon some of it off to use in the mower and weed whipper.

Mine has closed cooling, so neither applies there is no block drain down and is always filled with antifreeze.\

As for the rest of the cooling system, I plan to just flush it with cheapie antifreeze, just because it will be less work that draining everything. Fake-a-lake to a bucket of the RV stuff, shut motor off when it starts coming out the exhaust.

I changed my vote. I'm also interested in the results on the gas issue. That's a great question. I plan on storing mine full to mitigate water contamination due to condensation. Then, I'll siphon some of it off to use in the mower and weed whipper.

Water contamination due to condensation should not be a problem if you do not have an aluminum fuel tank. If you go with say 1/2 tank with Stable in the spring you can add fresh fuel to the old.

This is really simple people, for a fresh water cooling system, if you open up all the hoses, knock sensor and drain plug, nothing can crack or break because no pressure can build up. if you try to fill with antifreeze and there is still some water in the block it will dilute the antifreeze to the point where it will freeze and since you have closed the system back up, something will give. 16 years where the temp gets -20 and never a problem.

And to make matters worse, it the spring all that antifreeze goes back into the lake or spilled on the driveway.