Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is this and how do I get it off?!?!

Tacostik

I have this weird black discoloration on parts of my driver's seat. I have tried scrubbing w/ various spot removers but they did nothing. I am going to try leaving it in the sun this weekend, but I am fearful that won't do the trick either. I 303 my vinyl every three weeks. It isn't from the cover because the cover doesn't touch the seat. Any ideas on where it could be coming from and/or how to stop it?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/img0043om.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/192/img0044si.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/img0045du.jpg/

That's mold. Let the boat dry out before you cover it and put in some Dri-Z-Air (or similar) dehumidifiers.

EDIT: As far as getting rid of it...I have heard sunshine will bleach it back out but :dontknow: I have never had to deal with it so I can't say for sure.

Edited by NorCaliBu

It looks like mildew. Try a little mildew cleaner with a stiff bristle kitchen brush.

I'd be careful with stiff bristle kitchen brush ... otherwise good advice. Some people even think the Majic Eraser is too abrasive.

I had a few bouts of this during the summer from a combination of humidity, and covering the boat without it being completely dry. Magic eraser works 100% and then I follow up with a healthy wipe down using 303 Aerosace protectant.

Its mold/mildew... pretty common to see that in our boats up here in the Northwest if things get put away damp (which is almost always)

Moly/mildew is a plant so you need to kill it off, otherwise it can just keep coming back and multiply.

Use mold /mildew cleaner, it has a chlorine base to it that kills everything off. The worst thing you can do is wipe the vinyl down with a cloth or vinyl cleaner because it ends up leaving the roots of the mold/mildew growing in your vinyl which eventually makes it into the foam. Some people have had to deal with "pink spots" in their vinyl which is from mold growing behind the vinyl in the foam backing so your best to kill it as soon as possible.

Dehumidifiers make a huge difference in your boat over the winter. Even if its stored in the garage its a good idea to use one, keeps the boat smelling fresh and will pull out that moisture in the carpet and foam that you can never get out.

What you have going on is pretty minor, I've uncovered boats that are pitch black in mold and mildew fuzz before.

Hope this helps

Paul

Its mold/mildew... pretty common to see that in our boats up here in the Northwest if things get put away damp (which is almost always)

Moly/mildew is a plant so you need to kill it off, otherwise it can just keep coming back and multiply.

Use mold /mildew cleaner, it has a chlorine base to it that kills everything off. The worst thing you can do is wipe the vinyl down with a cloth or vinyl cleaner because it ends up leaving the roots of the mold/mildew growing in your vinyl which eventually makes it into the foam. Some people have had to deal with "pink spots" in their vinyl which is from mold growing behind the vinyl in the foam backing so your best to kill it as soon as possible.

Dehumidifiers make a huge difference in your boat over the winter. Even if its stored in the garage its a good idea to use one, keeps the boat smelling fresh and will pull out that moisture in the carpet and foam that you can never get out.

What you have going on is pretty minor, I've uncovered boats that are pitch black in mold and mildew fuzz before.

Hope this helps

Paul

Are there any dehumidification options that dont have an outlet? My boat is not stored at home :(

Are there any dehumidification options that dont have an outlet? My boat is not stored at home :(

http://www.damprid.com/

Another idea would be to look for a 12v automotive fan and put a stand alone battery in the boat ... maybe with a timer ... if one exist so you don't run the battery down too much.

http://www.damprid.com/

Another idea would be to look for a 12v automotive fan and put a stand alone battery in the boat ... maybe with a timer ... if one exist so you don't run the battery down too much.

Damprid won't work if its below freezing during the winter. The 12v fan wouldn't work either because the cold would just kill the battery. If you have no access, make sure you have a good amount of ventilation, but not too much where rodents can get inside and cause a real problem.

Damprid won't work if its below freezing during the winter. The 12v fan wouldn't work either because the cold would just kill the battery. If you have no access, make sure you have a good amount of ventilation, but not too much where rodents can get inside and cause a real problem.

If it's below freezing doubt much is going to work short of heat/sun. My suggestions were for a non-freezing fix ... not sure where the poster is located and/or his/her situation.

If it's below freezing doubt much is going to work short of heat/sun. My suggestions were for a non-freezing fix ... not sure where the poster is located and/or his/her situation.

I'm in FL so not too many freezing issues.