Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Antifreeze Question- keep in or drain?

PTM

You are going to get both answers here. It might be more beneficial (and less contentious) to set this thread up as a "poll".

BTW, I store my block dry...but do run antifreeze through, and leave it in, my heater core. I'm fortunate to have local, indoor storage for my boat. It sits on a concrete floor, minimal temp/humidity swings, and (unlike outside) indoor temp is unlikely to drop below 40F

Edited by davemac

There is a school of thought that storing dry could allow corrosion and build-up to occur due to the effect of exposure to air. Storing with antifreeze in the block will keep the surface wet along with the benefits of the lubricity of antifreeze. I have not actually heard of any issues storing dry, but a risk is that water is left somewhere (most likely the heater core) and causes the dreaded free cracking problem. I always add antifreeze to the heater since it is virtually impossible to totally drain it unless you remove it and tip on its end.

Not to hijack, but trying to learn..... If stored indoors and above freezing.....why do i want to put antifreeze in the system? Thanks

If this was directed at my post... my indoor storage is unlikely to get below 40 degrees. However, it is not unusual to have power outages that can last a week or more around here (after winter ice or wind storms). Thus, I am not taking any chances.

Aside from my "dry" winterization process, I try to blow all the water through the heater line (using short bursts w/ my compressor...so as not to damage the core). As not all of the water comes out, I then use a funnel and run the pink RV antifreeze (-50F I believe) to replace/ dilute any remaining water. It usually takes about 1/2 gallon, and I give a couple more bursts with the compressor until the pink stuff starts coming out the return hose.

Woodski's above post provides the answer as to why some choose to fill the block w/ antifreeze.

If this was directed at my post... my indoor storage is unlikely to get below 40 degrees. However, it is not unusual to have power outages that can last a week or more around here (after winter ice or wind storms). Thus, I am not taking any chances.

Aside from my "dry" winterization process, I try to blow all the water through the heater line (using short bursts w/ my compressor...so as not to damage the core). As not all of the water comes out, I then use a funnel and run the pink RV antifreeze (-50F I believe) to replace/ dilute any remaining water. It usually takes about 1/2 gallon, and I give a couple more bursts with the compressor until the pink stuff starts coming out the return hose.

Woodski's above post provides the answer as to why some choose to fill the block w/ antifreeze.

This is the way to go, Heated indoor storage can have problems of it's own. Power outages or just plan furnace/heat plant failure. winterize your boat properly and sleep easy at night.

I am an antifreeze in guy. I like seals wet along with any gaskets. I have had my boat in a warm garage every year but am going to put it in my unheated garage this year. As all have said you just don't know if you could have a heat or power issue.

I see people say they see the pink RV antifreeze freeze It does get more like a mush but must not expand. I keep bottles on the shelf at my cabin up north and never had one brake or show any expansion. I have seen temps down in -40.

I do not use the pink stuff, I use the more expensive antifreeze which says its for the engine, I also keep the engine in the garage between 40-50 degrees never went below 40 last year, but like dave l'm not taking any chances, never had any problems with any boats I have own!

I've done both. Last 5 years I've drained the engine and had no problems. I don't like the idea of antifreeze in the lake, and Indmar sends them out of the factory dry (after testing). If it's good for them, it's good for me.

For heater and shower I use antifreeze. This year I took off the shower head and hooked up a 5/8'' barbed fitting to the hose. Hooked that up to one of the heater hoses, routed the other heater hose in a white bucket from the hardware store, stuck the cold and hot shower supply hoses in the antifreeze container, started the shower pump and opened the valves slowly. When I got the antifreeze coming out of the heater hose in the bucket, both shower and heater were winterized. Our garbage facility took both oil and antifreeze for free (our taxes really) and I threw the bucket away. No mess and in the spring I'll repeat with water.