Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-Drive Oil Strainer

I have seen a lot of info about pumping out fluids but does anyone out there clean the oil strainer in the v-drive like the manual says? Looking at the location it seems near imposible. Thanks

I did it on my 2004 LSV and it is a pain and if you aren't carefully you can make a mess quickly. The screen had 2 pieces of very small barely visible pieces debris in it. I did the removal at 300 hours and am close to 700 and will not do it again.

-Dave

Thanks Dave. My boat is a 2005 LSV that I bought about six months ago with only 45 hours on it. It now has about 60. Due to the age and not knowing for sure if it had been done before I decided to change the oil. I guess since the hours are very low I should not worry about the strainer. Thanks

RJ1, I had to check mine out of neccessity (leaking sump gasket) on my old boat (300 hours) and the inside looked like the day it came off the assembly line. IMHO unless you get water intrusion or find metal fragments during the seasonal fluid changes I really would't worry about cleaning the strainer. On the Walters V-drive it is really no big deal to accomplish, 4x 9/16 nuts and 1 line to disconnect. I wouldn't want to mess with it on my Ski-V, there is not enough room between the hull and the V-drive to slide a road kill chip munk under there. :biggrin:

Thanks WDR. I am not going to worry about it now but will probably take a look in a few years. There is not much room to get to mine either, it is pretty close to the gas tank.