Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hard Core Slalom Boats

kbtheboz

I dont get why skiers dislike wakeboarding so much. Why do skiers resent the fact that wakeboarding is becoming more popular than skiing. I dont want to get into the argument of which one is harder or more challenging, both are difficult and easy depending on what you are trying to do. I quit skiing because it is boring to me, you cut left and then you cut right and then you cut back left. The only progression is shortening the rope. With wakeboarding there are several different directions I can go, I can work on inverts, spins, grabs, adding style to simple tricks, the possibilities are endless. Its not that I am rebelling against old timers, I respect a good slalom run as much as the next guy, its just that wakeboarding is more fun to me. One thing we all can agree on though, is tubers ruin glass for all of us. Just making a joke family guys with rugrats, I realize I dont own the water. By the way, we will be picking up our 06 vlx in april, looking forward to joining the malibu family.

It's not so much the dislike of boarders but just rude boaters. If a slalom skier is being disrepectful I'd say the samething as if it was a boarder. A tuber well that's a hole other issue.. Crazy.gif

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aneal000

• 88Skier

• WakeGirl

• djustice

I agree with JD - it's how they drive. On the lake I used to attend several times a week, we would go early morning. 9 times out of 10 if there was another boat skiing, we could share the water and both be happy. 9 times out of 10 if another boat was wakeboarding - they would screw up the water beyond repair.

I think that it's not only a lack of boater education possessed by the average wakeboarder, but also a lack of respect by the average wakeboarder (which appears to be about 18 years old). They just dont care about others.

I know this is a generalization, and I know that most of the people on this site (boarders and skiers) are respectful, but that isn't true for the population in general.

GT, aren't #1 and 2 great! I am convinced that they are, in fact, the same everywhere.

I do think, though, that more people will have an open mind about how to drive once they own their boats for a while. How often does a rookie golfer understand proper gold etiquette? They don't, but eventually, they will pick it up...the reason they don't have it yet isn't because they "rebelling", it's cuz they just don't know any better. With time, more wakeboarders and younger drivers will learn. The problem still is, however, that more and more new boat owners are hitting the water all the time. I am still amazed that without any training at all, you can go down, buy a boat and trailer, and have full right to use the highways, lakes and ramps with the new boat, without ANY CLUE how to do it. It's a recipe for accidents, not to mention bad ski water!

I can get along with 1,2 & 3 as long as they don't hit the lake before 10:00 am. Nothing worse than having the whole lake to yourself early in the morning and then hearing the whine of a jetski coming toward you.

I can get along with 1,2 & 3 as long as they don't hit the lake before 10:00 am. Nothing worse than having the whole lake to yourself early in the morning and then hearing the whine of a jetski coming toward you.

Or the sound of an IO pulling twin tubers through the course as you turn around for your second pass.:Doh:

GT: I've come across to four that you listed plus one more rare breed. The just plain good boater that is considerate of there fellow boaters no mater what they are doing.

I want to learn to board, I really want to learn to wakeskate, the problem is I can't seem to find anyone around here who can do this and act like an adult. There is just too much baggage associated with the wake sports. Will one of you responsible boarders take me where the adults board, because it sure isn't here?

Anytime your in St. Louis I can hook you up. I'll show you both responsible boarders and how to ride sideways.

That's the kind of attitude that ticks me off. Why is it that you think you own the lake? You just said your basically fine as long as no one else is there. It sounds more like you just want to b!tC# and everyone is an easy target. Go buy 100 acres, build your own lake and then complain when someone messes up your water. Until then, your going to have to deal with other people just like everyone else does. And for the record I get bummed out every time I have the lake to myself and some slalom skier shows up driving down the middle of the lake. It ruins my glass - the glass and butter I love to wakeboard on.

I want to learn to board, I really want to learn to wakeskate, the problem is I can't seem to find anyone around here who can do this and act like an adult. There is just too much baggage associated with the wake sports. Will one of you responsible boarders take me where the adults board, because it sure isn't here?

Anytime your in St. Louis I can hook you up. I'll show you both responsible boarders and how to ride sideways.

That's the kind of attitude that ticks me off. Why is it that you think you own the lake? You just said your basically fine as long as no one else is there. It sounds more like you just want to b!tC# and everyone is an easy target. Go buy 100 acres, build your own lake and then complain when someone messes up your water. Until then, your going to have to deal with other people just like everyone else does. And for the record I get bummed out every time I have the lake to myself and some slalom skier shows up driving down the middle of the lake. It ruins my glass - the glass and butter I love to wakeboard on.

I said I'm fine as long as inconsiderate people are not there before 10 am. Fortunately, in my world they don't usually come out until after 10. Another annoying group would be those people with the big ocean size boats being out early tearing it up.

That's a deal. How's June? I gotta drive right through there on my way back from Altus.

Let me check my calander, yep I'll still be here in June!

Another annoying group would be those people with the big ocean size boats being out early tearing it up.

No need to continue stereotyping, we already know you are not happy unless you have the lake to yourself.

OK, Don't we all want the lake to ourselves!!!! I think that is just natural. By the way, I love to be out before 10 tearing it up. That is the only time to foot or ski in relative peace. Is the 247 an ocean size boat? I hope not because we don't have an ocean. I think that the real point is being a courteous boater/skier/boarder so that we can all share. I personally think that if we try to educate the uneducated things will improve. If people refuse to become educated,(that is why I bought a 247) just run them over. Crazy.gifCrazy.gifCrazy.gif

Just kiddin actually but we can all make a difference.

Is the 247 an ocean size boat?

No, I was refering to those 35' Silvertons. Biggrin.gif

I find the people that get up early have the same motivations and are considerate.

JohnDoe, I am still trying to figure out how my attitude belittles what skiers are trying to do. I do believe I said I respect a good slalom run as much as the next guy, its just that I get more satisfaction from stomping a new trick than I do taking an extra foot off the line. Luckily where I boat, Tennessee river south of Paris Landing and I-40 bridge, you can almost always find calm water unless its a busy saturday or holiday. If we come across another skier of boarder we just cruise down the river a little farther until we are alone. During the week(if there isnt much wind) its miles and miles of butter. I guess thats why I dont understand the conflict, because we rarely have one. I really do feel sorry for those of you who are limited to small overcrowed lakes, we rarely make a turn during somebodies set, FYI the river where we are is about 500 yards wide, flat sandy beaches to dissipate the rollers, and goes for as long as you like in either direction. Barges are about the only thing that screws up the water for any amount of time.

I am still trying to figure out how my attitude belittles what skiers are trying to do.
I quit skiing because it is boring..., you cut left and then you cut right and then you cut back left. The only progression is shortening the rope....Its not that I am rebelling against old timers...

Really? You can't figure it out? Crazy.gif

I would venture to guess that you've never skied a course.

I enjoy (and am pretty good at) wakeboarding, wakeskating, wakesurfing,...but for pure adrenaline there is nothing like running a slalom course (except maybe a LL BF run on pure glass). If your focus is fun, the wake sports are easier to learn and therefore (for a lot of people) more fun. I don't have the time or energy to get into the skiing vs wakeboarding argument again Biggrin.gif but I honestly believe (having participated in both disciplines for years) that slalom skiing takes more physical strength than wakeboarding.

Edited by NorCaliBu

Let's be honest well all feel that way. Biggrin.gif

I think the issue regarding driving skills is valid and not strictly limited to wakeboarders. For the most part I think it is a knowledge issue. Some people don't know what you are doing in a slalom course and why the flat water matters. I have found if you approach people politely and ask them to respect the water they generally will.

I approached 3 people last year about this. One was a bass fisherman that I asked to move away from one of our turn balls and another was a wakeboarder who I asked if they could go to the other end of the lake. In both of these cases there were no problems. The third is a knucklehead that pulls mostly water skiers that nearly ran over my daughter while she was skiing behind my boat. When I approached him he basically told me to F off. Apparently I am not the only person to try and talk to this guy.

I guess the moral of this story is a little polite education can go a long way and that some people are just idiots. Don't just assume people are dopes without trying to educate them first.

Edited by Chef23

I don't see why skiers don't like boarders and why boarders don't like skiers? Its a pretty stupid argument either way I think. It reminds me of a really cheasy disney made for TV movie about snow skiers and snow boarders sharing the same mountain. I have had just as many skiers be inconsiderate as boarders, and skiers be as nice as many boarders. I think it has nothing to do with what sport they enjoy, but all do to with their personality and respect/lack of respect for others. When I used to jet ski I prided mysef on not being like all the others, I made a point of when I rode to not be like everyone else so that people would know that some jet skiers do actually obey the rules and arn't totally annoying.

Everyone likes smooth water and no one likes sharing the lake with a bunch of others, but if you can't enjoy your day at the lake because there are skiers there or boarders there or even jet skis, then just go home. If you want the lake all to your self, get your lazy butt up in the eary AM and get on the water, get your sets in, and go home!!! We routinley go out at 7 at night, take a few runs and get off the water by 8 when there is no one else around. Sure it is colder out side, but its the price we pay for good water.

I have only had one experiance with a true jack a$$ on the water and he just happened to be a skier (big deal.) We were boarding on a certian section of the river with no other boats and this guy cruises up to us why I am pulling my brother boarding and starts waving at us. I stop for him cause he is really close to us and because I thought he might need help. He just wanted to know when we were leaving because he said the rest of the river was rough and "Us skiers like smooth water" WTF??? I told him that we had lots more boarding to do and that I didn't appreciate him getting so close to me when I was towing someone. He then had the nerve to ask if would take some extra time inbetween riders so they could ski. At this point I told my brother he was done wake boarding and I handed him the surf board and we loaded up the sacks Biggrin.gif

The point of this story isn't that he was a skier who hated boarders, its just the he was a jerk with no respect for others. He very well could have been a wakeboarder, fisherman, sky skier, tuber, whatever....

Yes I have skied a course, and when I got back in the boat I told my buddies man did you just see me ski around those buoys, wasn't that exciting. The fact is no, it wasn't exciting, it was boring. Skiing is one dimensional and thats why you never see it on TV anymore, because something more interesting has come along and replaced it. I will agree that getting up on one ski and cutting is harder to learn than getting up on a wakeboard, but you can't compare the two beyond that. The only thing they have in common beyond that is they are both pulled behind boats. I have been on several wakeboarding and ski forums and very rarely do you see wakeboarders belittle skiers but skiers for some reason seem to want to attack wakeboarders. That was the original reason for my first post. I just dont understand why skiers get so defensive of there sport. It seems like skiers are jealous of wakeboarding's popularity and feel like people dont realize how hard their sport is to master. I know skiing is difficult and that it takes days and days of practice just to get decent at it, but that doesnt change the fact that it is a boring sport. Most people I know see skiers as stuck-up yuppies that think they are better than everyone and by participating in this forum you have done nothing but reassure that notion.

...by participating in this forum you have done nothing but reassure that notion.

Just so we're clear...I didn't just show up as a new member in a forum and start attacking members and insulting their choice of water sport. If anything...you are perpetuating all of the negative stereotypes normally associated with wakeboarders. Good job Thumbup.gif Oh, and welcome to the site. :lol:

I agree with you jetskipro550. There are alot of a-holes out there, whether they are on the freeway flipping you off, on the mountain, on the lake, wakeboarding, skiing, surfing, whatever. If you really must have pristine conditions then get up early, get your sets in and get off the lake before the wallies arrive at noon.

Everyone wants to have a good time on the water. Respect other people's choice for what they enjoy doing...even if it's tubing. They have just as much right to be there as us wakeboarders, skiers and surfers. When the wallies arrive, throw your anchor, turn up the tunes, pop a cold beer, enjoy the time with your family and friends and relax from a hard week at work. Some of my favorite days on the water were simply hanging out on the boat doing absolutely nothing.

Yes I have skied a course, and when I got back in the boat I told my buddies man did you just see me ski around those buoys, wasn't that exciting. The fact is no, it wasn't exciting, it was boring. Skiing is one dimensional and thats why you never see it on TV anymore, because something more interesting has come along and replaced it. I will agree that getting up on one ski and cutting is harder to learn than getting up on a wakeboard, but you can't compare the two beyond that. The only thing they have in common beyond that is they are both pulled behind boats. I have been on several wakeboarding and ski forums and very rarely do you see wakeboarders belittle skiers but skiers for some reason seem to want to attack wakeboarders. That was the original reason for my first post. I just dont understand why skiers get so defensive of there sport. It seems like skiers are jealous of wakeboarding's popularity and feel like people dont realize how hard their sport is to master. I know skiing is difficult and that it takes days and days of practice just to get decent at it, but that doesnt change the fact that it is a boring sport. Most people I know see skiers as stuck-up yuppies that think they are better than everyone and by participating in this forum you have done nothing but reassure that notion.

I like this guy. His comments are actually pretty logical, but I'm guessing the hatred the slalom skiers possess at this point won't allow them to see that.

Hang around for a while and you'll see that just isn't true here. Do we joke w/ one another about slalom vs wb sure but that's all it is. Do I prefer slalom, yes, but I'll extend the same courtesy to a WB or fisherman as I would anyone else. Both sports are tough to learn and excel at and getting into a discussion about which is better or more intense is a waste of time as each of us have our own opinions about each sport. Respect for the fellow boater is key.

Edited by Malibudude

Michael, take a deep breath, maybe a couple of them. Biggrin.gif

First of all, welcome to the site.

What you stated there may be the reality for you & those that you know, but you need to realize that this is your opinion even though you state it as a fact that applies to everyone. There are a lot of skiers here that take offense to that merely because of the way that it's stated, nothing more. (Saying that you & your friends look at skiers as "stuck up yuppies" certainly doesn't help either.) Take a look at this poll. While it's hardly scientific, it does show how we have an incredible cross section of skiers here. Myself, I'm a boarder, but when I watch someone (anyone) running the course & as long as I have a little background on the skier (personal bests & such), then I get a rush watching them stretch to get better, to push themselves. Anyway, in my own rambling way, I'm just pointing out that this is highly subjective & a matter of opinion, saying that one is boring & another is more interesting.

As to the point of one group being more rude than another, in all my years of boating I've never seen any group prove to have a monopoly on either rudeness or manners. YMMV of course.

Edited by WakeGirl

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa Hold on there Cowboy, you have it all wrong, the reason skiers belittle wakeboarders is because everyone knows that wakeboarders are ALL long haired, dope smokin', pill poppin', heavy metal rockin', lazy good for nothin', water trashin' pinkos! Tongue.gif

Nah, just kidding, but really there are Many water sport activies that are enhanced by our beloved Malibu product. It kind of reminds me of a song... the one from the musical Oklahoma

Territory folks should stick together,

Territory folks should all be pals.

Cowboys dance with farmer's daughters,

Farmers dance with the ranchers' gals.

Well maybe that's not such a good idea either, if you recall that ended with quite a brawl. Crazy.gif

Now what you Really ought to do is leave all that help on the dock and try Barefoot!!! Yahoo.gif

Edited by Texasguy
Most people I know see skiers as stuck-up yuppies that think they are better than everyone and by participating in this forum you have done nothing but reassure that notion.

Wow!!!!......if only your crew would see me as a stuck up yuppie I would be moving up in the world.

Most people in my area see me as white trash redneck. Biggrin.gif

djustice, though I'm sure you're right about discussions on other forums, you might be a bit new here to begin lecturing us mean-spirited and boring stuckup yuppie skiers. Hang around awhile and you'll find a lot of differences from the other boards you been frequenting, most for the better we hope. Generally it is always light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek, friendly banter whether it board vs ski, teak vs fiberglass, Ford vs Chevy...whatever. When you see people with hundreds of posts, and probably hundreds more on the previous MBO, realize that there may be some history there that you are missing, so don't jump to conclusions. I, as a slalom skier, welcome you to the site.

BTW, Tony, do you really think the slalom skiers here possess alot of pent up hatred?...seems rather strong and I certainly apologize if I or any others have come across that way on this forum. I guess we've hit another topic too sensitive to joke about?

Edited by HRemington