Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

evolution cover color

foiler1

The BU was just pickled and condomed for the winter.After a couple years of struggling with water pooling on my stock malibu cover and wet seats i am ready to pull the triger on a cover and i will go with an evolution cover. My dilemma is what color to go with. i am trying to keep the interior cool and dry when covered. Is there a big differance inside with a black or grey cover? chime in,let me know what everyone has and thinks.Thanks

Joe

I've never seen a light colored Evo cover. :unsure:

I have owned other brands that were light colored though. And the difference I notice with my black one is that the bugs can't live underneath it. IF they can get in there, their dead. But the fact that a cover below the rubrail, and covers all the vents keeping them out definitely helps too.

topics like "drain or anitfreeze" or "89 octane" or the dreaded "best tow vehicle thread" generate lots of discussion from all sides,

but the love for the Evolution Cover seems universal here.

topics like "drain or anitfreeze" or "89 octane" or the dreaded "best tow vehicle thread" generate lots of discussion from all sides,

LOL.gif Isn't that the truth!

Anyone know if a Evolution made for a 09 VTX wit the Illusion XS will fit on a 2012 VTX?

It should fit, mine did when I did the xs tower to g3 swap. Like a glove.

Hey Joe,

Please verify w/ Corey, but I believe he told me that 90% of the covers he sells are black. I've had mine for a few years now and am pleased with it.

I did make a suggestion to him (not sure if it was acted upon) that he consider using a colored felt piece on the underside of the bow nose cap. This would speed up the covering process, by saving time wrestling w/ the cover to determine which end is which.

Aside from the tower measurements (if you have one)....don't forget to let him know if you need any flaps/cutouts for cleats, or even the gas cap if you choose.

-your neighbor a few miles to the north

Edited by davemac

Anyone know if a Evolution made for a 09 VTX wit the Illusion XS will fit on a 2012 VTX?

Not really. It can be modified a little to fit. The tower bases are quite a bit different in size and the tower is in a different location.

Not really. It can be modified a little to fit. The tower bases are quite a bit different in size and the tower is in a different location.

You sure Trent? The new tower design base is the same size as it can be directly bolted into place of the XS. I beleive 06 replaced his XS with the new style tower and used his same tarp. I bet however that the new tower is mounted in a different loction on the new boats. How much modifications did it take to get yours to fit? If the tower is mounted further forward I think mine may fit as there is a good 6" of room it can go forward.

Hey Joe,

Please verify w/ Corey, but I believe he told me that 90% of the covers he sells are black. I've had mine for a few years now and am pleased with it.

I did make a suggestion to him (not sure if it was acted upon) that he consider using a colored felt piece on the underside of the bow nose cap. This would speed up the covering process, by saving time wrestling w/ the cover to determine which end is which.

Aside from the tower measurements (if you have one)....don't forget to let him know if you need any flaps/cutouts for cleats, or even the gas cap if you choose.

I requested that on mine and love it. I hated not knowing which end of my old cover was which. Makes life a lot easier! Thumbup.gif

Hey Joe,

Davemac....I believe he took your consideration, he is building mine within the next few weeks with a different nose cap color on the underside.

And that Chee is the go-to for new vinyl :biggrin:

Davemac....I believe he took your consideration, he is building mine within the next few weeks with a different nose cap color on the underside.

Yes he did, even made mine blue to match the boat (even though you can't see it when its on). It also gives the nose a little more rigidity so you can toss it over the edge without having to remove or crawl over the center bow cushion.

Edited by Ndawg12

You sure Trent? The new tower design base is the same size as it can be directly bolted into place of the XS. I beleive 06 replaced his XS with the new style tower and used his same tarp. I bet however that the new tower is mounted in a different loction on the new boats. How much modifications did it take to get yours to fit? If the tower is mounted further forward I think mine may fit as there is a good 6" of room it can go forward.

Rob, my cover is at the shop in Edmonton. I never did get the cover modified. It fit well enough to keep it dry and clean. Measure the distance from your windshield to the leading edge of the tower and I can let you know if it would fit. I have to order a new cover this winter for the 2012.

Ok another Evo cover question: when you guys tow with the Evo, do you loosen it some so it vacuums tight and sucks in, or keep it "bounce a baseball off it" tight at highway speeds?

I leave mine tight while towing. Works great. If you loosen it I would guess the rub rail hooks would pull loose.

Hey Joe,

High Dave,

Cory is going to send me a color chart to pic from. I was worried about black and excessive heat but he told me they did a test and was only a 5 degree diffeance between black and grey. i am going with the Bu in black look. because of the way i roll off the cover and toss on the dock, i don't see how finding the front would be a problem. i never thought about the cutouts for the cleats and gas though. I also want the bow to be reenforced tough because of the rope from thw whips rubbing it.

- your neighbor a few miles to the south