Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 Malibu Vride speedometer

wakesetter8796

I just got a 2008 Malibu Vride. :biggrin: The speedo wasn't functioning :( , so I got down and removed a rock from the little wheel under the boat. I took it out again this week, and it was 15 mph off. What should I do to make it work? Do I have to take it out of the water to do this, or is it any easy fix? Thanks in advance.

I just got a 2008 Malibu Vride. :biggrin: The speedo wasn't functioning :( , so I got down and removed a rock from the little wheel under the boat. I took it out again this week, and it was 15 mph off. What should I do to make it work? Do I have to take it out of the water to do this, or is it any easy fix? Thanks in advance.

there is a switch on the dash that is used to calibrate the speedo.

easiest to enlist the help of someone that owns a gps or navigation system.

just bring the boat to speed you will do most of your wet work and use the switch to raise or lower the indicated speed to match the gps.

Is it always off by exactly 15 mph? Like it doesn't register any speed until you hit 15 mph? Certainly try to calibrate first but maybe the wheel/assembly got damaged and is binding....?

I agree with the damage suggestion. I had this same problem. The spinning wheel has 3 "feet" on it and one of mine was broken off. The speed was off by about 10-15 mph. I think the replacement kit was about $20 from the dealer (I installed it myself).

and definitely take the paddlewheel out when towing and put the tow plug in.

Why would that be? If it's to keep it from spinning without the lube of the water it would be way easier to put a piece of masking tap over it.

and definitely take the paddlewheel out when towing and put the tow plug in.

Why would that be? If it's to keep it from spinning without the lube of the water it would be way easier to put a piece of masking tap over it.

Kinda like checking your muffler bearings every 100 hours....

I am just assuming a rock getting stuck in the paddlewheel and damaging it is more likely to happen during towing. Not sure how a rock would even get to a paddlewheel otherwise.

there is a switch on the dash that is used to calibrate the speedo.

easiest to enlist the help of someone that owns a gps or navigation system.

just bring the boat to speed you will do most of your wet work and use the switch to raise or lower the indicated speed to match the gps.

ya, we did that, and the speed is all the way up, but it is still off by 15.