Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing with X5???

RLPBL

Anyone towing with a 07' or newer BMW X5??? I know its not optimal but a buddy of mine tows his VTX with a Dodge Nitro and has never had any problems with it. I imagine its hard on the tranny etc but just curious if anybody is doing that????

Anyone towing with a 07' or newer BMW X5??? I know its not optimal but a buddy of mine tows his VTX with a Dodge Nitro and has never had any problems with it. I imagine its hard on the tranny etc but just curious if anybody is doing that????

I don't have any experience with the X5, but I used to tow my 07 VLX with a V6 explorer. It did okay, but I had a few scares when trying to stop suddenly... :unsure:

I have a buddy that tows his 05 VLX with an Acura MDX through the mountains of N. Carolina and says it does fine. Just my $0.02.

A friend tows his PS 214 with his 2012 X5, twin turbo. Says it did wonderful towing from Dallas to Table Rock Lake earlier this summer. Passing cars in the mountains with little effort. He says the 2012 is much better than the 2010 X5 with the smaller engine.

Read the owners manual and see what its rated for. If its within limits, go for it

:plus1: Remember to allow for gear and people on the weight numbers. :biggrin:

The German SUV's tow a lot better than most will give them credit for. Check the ratings and go from there. The power and brake size to weight ratios are oftentimes better than the "big" american SUV's

Handling and Brakes were the reason we switched to German Cars a while back.

The problem is once we bought one German car , then our Japanese ( Lexus LS 400 and Toyota Avalon at the time ) cars did not seem to handle adequately.

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed my LS 400's , and my wife's Avalons. Both are excellent long distance cruisers. Quiet, good music box, easy on fuel.

We have an E 350 Benz sedan now and even it has cross drilled disc brakes in a fairly large size.

You can look through the spokes on the 18 inch wheels and when it sat in the garage next to the Avalon the E 350 brakes looked huge.

Dennis has an X5 but prefers that I tow his PS 197 to Lake Billy with my Duramax , which we do.

I believe that an X5 would be a good tow rig as long as you are not trying to haul one of the huge wake boats.

I absolutely would not consider towing a boat without installing an auxilliary transmission cooler on any of these expensive SUV's.

The tranny cooler is cheap compared to the transmission rebuild in a German car.

My ML does a way better job than my Silverado ever did. Not quite an X5 and mine is unfairly an AMG which has monster brakes, but even in just the feel behind the rig its better.

As with any shorter wheelbase tow rig though take things slower in particular in corners and in the wind. Probably just as stable, but no interest in becoming a statistic here.

I local friend currently tows his VTX with a pretty new Tahoe LTZ, but used to tow with an X5. He says his old X5 towed better than the Tahoe, but he likes the extra space the Tahoe has.