Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing Mistake

Hey guys,

So I ran my boat to temp, changed the oils, then drained the water before adding antifreeze to the water intake. By the time I had finished with the oils my boats engine temp had dropped to around 80 deg before I sucked in the antifreeze. Once the antifreeze had all been sucked in, I realized that when I drained the water I forgot about the large hose near the fly wheel of my engine.

My fear is that since I didnt have my engine to full temp that the antifreeze didnt make it past the thermstat, and that there may still be water in the large hose...

Anyone know if this will hurt anything if the block and everything else was drained? Im debating pulling off the hose now but I could use some advice before I end up losing all the antifreeze, if any made it past the thermostat that is.

As long as ALL water is drained from the block, manifolds, hoses, heater core, and shower (if you have them) you're good to go. Anitfreeze is something that gets debated on this forum alot. Some use it, some don"t. Over 20 years of boat ownership I have put my boat away with and without antifreeze and found it makes no difference at all.

I think I will follow matts lead and drain and fill with antifreeze. Then I will raise him by moving my boat into my dining room and installing a 5000w bilge heater. :rofl:

Edited by Bozboat

I think I will follow matts lead and drain and fill with antifreeze. Then I will raise him by moving my boat into my dining room and installing a 5000w bilge heater

Come on Bozboat, if it's worth doing it's worth doing right. We have added an additional 400sqft to our Master bedroom so the Bu can now sleep next to us all winter. I also had a custom electric blanket made to cover the dog house so the engine stays at a balmy 85 degrees all winter. I have installed an Angelcare baby monitor in the bilge that reports the temperature in the bilge wirelessly to my cell phone 24hrs a day. In the event of a power failure I have also installed an emergency vaporless propane heater in the bilge, but that only kicks on if the Angelcare monitor reports a temperature drop below 60 degrees (no need to get ridiculous).

Just have a little fun Matt :Tease3:

Now to answer the OP. If I was in your shoes I would at least drain the big hose, you'll probably sleep better. I am not an Antifreeze guy (10 yrs boating, no issues) so what you do about replacing the antifreeze you lose when draining the hose is a personal choice.

I think I will follow matts lead and drain and fill with antifreeze. Then I will raise him by moving my boat into my dining room and installing a 5000w bilge heater. :rofl:

When I win powerball I am going to have a giant bedroom added to my house with a giant bed. Im going to pull my boat off the trailer into the bed and cover it with a giant hand made quilt that I will get my mom to make.

:rofl:

I'm still trying find the "large hose near the fly wheel". Plenty of hoses by pulleys, but not a lot at that end of the engine. :crazy:

Should be the outlet hose of the engine's circulating pump...if you have one.

Steve B.

Should be the outlet hose of the engine's circulating pump...if you have one.

Steve B.

Does anyone have a step by step with pictures for winterizing a V drive? With heater and hot water hose? I am no mechanic but feel like this is within my limits. Just want to make sure I cover everything.

BVO

2007 VTX

You don't have to add antifreeze, it's optional.

An not a good idea and could actually cause harm. And a waste and bad for the lake when you let it all back out. Check the manual, nowhere does it say to do this.

I drain all the water. Then run the boat recirculating the antifreeze catching it in a Rubbermaid tote. I change oil restart and fog.

With non rv coolant from the picture? Ouch... If true that is illegal is most places. Come spring a lot of that ends up in your lake.

With non rv coolant from the picture? Ouch... If true that is illegal is most places. Come spring a lot of that ends up in your lake.

No it is no-tox antifreeze. and I have a drain kit on engine and manifolds,with clear tubing. In the spring I stick tubing out drain plug hole into a 5gallon pail.See bellow pic. PS I run at home before I put it the lake come spring.

post-3740-052415600 1319488562_thumb.jpg

Edited by pkenney