Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does this sound like the starter is bad

On Sunday I was going to pull the boat off the lift and winterize and stow for the season. Boat wouldn't start, 2008 23 LSV. It would crank fine for two to three seconds and then would stop cranking for one second and then crack for two or three more seconds, pause....Could never get it to fire, boat started fine on Thursday. I assume it isn't a battery issue as it was turning over fine until the pauses would come. Does this sound like a bad starter?

Check the wiring connections at the starter itself. I have seen a few loose connections at the solenoid cause the same type of issues.

Will do...I was trying to crank it for 10 minutes so I would think if it was the battery it would have died completely and not been able to turn over at all. I will check the connection and cross my fingers...Dealer is 50 miles away so I hate to tow it if possible...What should the voltage read going to the starter?

Will do...I was trying to crank it for 10 minutes so I would think if it was the battery it would have died completely and not been able to turn over at all. I will check the connection and cross my fingers...Dealer is 50 miles away so I hate to tow it if possible...What should the voltage read going to the starter?

Agreed. That doesn't sound like a battery if you had the starter coming and going for 10 minutes. The battery should read around 12.5V when idle and charged, slightly less while cranking. Solenoid could be intermittently opening while cranking.

hope it wasn't 10 continuous minutes of crank or you may need a new starter.

they just are not built for that kind of duty cycle.

much too hot.

hope it wasn't 10 continuous minutes of crank or you may need a new starter.

they just are not built for that kind of duty cycle.

much too hot.

Not only that, but wherever that loose connection is would become VERY hot. I learned that the hard way in college with beater cars. Hot enough that you will melt insulation off of the wiring, so do a good inspection on all your wires too. If it's on the battery, hot enough to melt the plastic and loosen the battery post internally.