Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

NO BRAKES!!

Vettesetter

is the brake fluid reservoir low when you are having the no brakes problem?

i'm guessing you would have mentioned low fluid and/or leaks after chasing all that you have.

disk or drum brakes on the rig?

will the pistons move when you compress the hitch/tongue?

is the brake fluid reservoir low when you are having the no brakes problem?

i'm guessing you would have mentioned low fluid and/or leaks after chasing all that you have.

disk or drum brakes on the rig?

will the pistons move when you compress the hitch/tongue?

No, the master cylinder is being topped up before it gets too low. It's a 2008 tandem axle disc brake (UFP) setup with an A-60 actuator. When I cycle the actuator piston the wheels can still be turned easily. No leaks that I can find.

By definition, you can't bleed the brakes and have no brakes. If you press on the piston, the pads should squeeze the rotor, if they don't, either your calipers are frozen or your piston is inop.

I had my actuator air locked earlier this year when I changed out the reverse solenoid. The cure was to raise the tongue as high as possible and stroke the plunger to burp the air out of the system. It did not pump it through the lines and back out the bleed valve but it just burped back through the reservoir at the tongue. Showed up as bubbles floating to the top of the reservoir while stroking the plunger. It seems that the solenoid is a booger to get bled.

By definition, you can't bleed the brakes and have no brakes. If you press on the piston, the pads should squeeze the rotor, if they don't, either your calipers are frozen or your piston is inop.

I've taken 2-3 ounces from each caliper twice, How do I check the piston?

Joe, my 2011 Extreme trailer had to be bled over and over! Not a few ounces either. More like a good liter or two. Same thing as Dalt had. They couldn't get it to bleed through the pistons.

Joe, my 2011 Extreme trailer had to be bled over and over! Not a few ounces either. More like a good liter or two. Same thing as Dalt had. They couldn't get it to bleed through the pistons.

OK, I'll go get some more fluid and try again. Thanks :biggrin:

Joe.....while your down to the parts store to get some more brake fluid....pick you up a MIGHTY-VAC tool. I use one for lots of jobs in the shop on bikes, boats and autos. It really does do a good job on brake bleeding.

MTY-MV8000.jpg

Try it! You'll Like It!

Beau:)

Joe.....while your down to the parts store to get some more brake fluid....pick you up a MIGHTY-VAC tool. I use one for lots of jobs in the shop on bikes, boats and autos. It really does do a good job on brake bleeding.

MTY-MV8000.jpg

Try it! You'll Like It!

Beau:)

Thanks Beau. I actually bought a similar tool. It still had a hard time drawing out the fluid so I attached my oil pump out bucket (12 volt) to the hose and it was a lot faster, plus I can fill the master while its pumping.

Are you sure your 12V pump isn't introducing air into the brake lines?

Here's how a bled the clutch on my BMW and it works awesome for brakes too. I use a clear tube on the oil can so I can watch the fluid being pumped into the bleeder nipple to ensure there is not air being pushed toward my master cylinder.