Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VSR (Voltage Sensing Relay) pro or con?

C4shFlo

I have been inquiring about adding a VSR with a local upgrade shop and they told me they usually remove those because they don't trust them, they can't take the amps and generally don't isolate batteries properly. Does anyone agree, have any feelings or experiences?

They work way better than my absentminded use of a perko. My experience is very good with the blue sea add a battery. Note that I don't think they will work on gel-cell batteries that hold a charge above the combined voltage threshold, but for sealed lead acid batteries it works well.

Well, voltage sensing solenoids are widely misunderstood even by many marine dealer or mobile-electronics/audio people.

A VSR/VSS/VCR, etc. will absolutely do the job exactly as designed. There are functional limitations based on having an extremely powerful audio system combined with extreme usage (as in playing the system inordinately loud for an inordinate period) and combined with having too much battery reserves in a depleted state. There are remedies in the form of a supplemental manual switch for over-the-top situations. Different levels of audio systems may require a modification or two of the basic scheme. One size does not fit all.

If someone doesn't understand all the situational behaviors of this device then stay away from using it or find a shop with more experience and understanding in this area.

If they (local shop or dealer) say VSS's do not work, listen to them, as they are probably right in that VSS's do not work for them.

In general, a VSS will protect your alternator from an excessive or abrupt current draw and can be a matter of great convenience. It may even be safer than forgetting to use a manual switch correctly. A VSS will increase your dependency on AC shore charging but that is for the best anyway for maximum battery life and performance.

David

Earmark Marine

• 2 weeks later...

If a VSR is the same as an ACR... IE Automatic Charging Relay... yes they will work as designed and work perfectly, I had one in my last boat and I loved it, I want one in this boat.

IE: when the engine is running, all batteries are being charged... when you cut the engines off, the "starter" battery is isolated so blasting a stereo wont drain it. All happens automatically, no need to flip any switches.... Nothing to reember, and you get max charging on all your batteries because you never have to remember to flip your perko to charge.

This is a link to the one I used, I also had a switch where you could "force" it to isolate even while engine runs, and "combine all" when engines off if you found your self in a scenario where your starter battery was dead.

Hellroaring ACR

I had the 150amp model and it worked fine, on this boat i'd likely use the 300amp model. The only other thing i'd add is, ensure everything is fused properly... I believe ABYC calls for a fuse within 6" of the source if not otherwise fused...I believe most newer Malibu's have a 150amp master breaker...but check on that....I've seen guys wire this type of stuff in, heavy guage wire without fuses...very very dangerous. :no:

4715705269_7046e70d00.jpg