Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel filter removal

BlitzedVLX

Hey guys, I have a question that I cannot seem to find the answer to. I am wanting to remove the fuel filter from my 08 VLX but I cannot get the silver clip ring off the fuel line. After reading through some winterization manuals I have come to the conclusion that this ring needs a special tool called a "Snap Ring Pliers" These pliers come with attachments in different sizes. Can someone please chime in as to the correct pliers for the job. I spotted these on ebay for $5 shipped but unsure if they will do the job.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260793803693?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

fuelpump2.jpg

I believe snap ring pliers are not what you are looking for. You can go to your local auto supply store and buy the little plastic pieces you "insert" into the end to release the fitting. just little round pieces of plastic that wraps around the fuel line and you push it back into that fitting to release it. you will be suprised at what a cheap little "tool" that it is. I have seen them come in a pack with a variety of sizes in it.

Most are reversible so they can either open or close when the handle is squeezed. Good luck with this! I did it last year and lost the snap ring into the bilge, then was somehow miraculously able to recover it only to have it fling off the pliers later into the street. It was dark by then and I was out of swear words, but I was able to find it and finish the job.

fuelpump2.jpg

How do you keep your engine/trans compartment that clean? I have a boat 2 years older than yours and has a lot of gunk in this area. Do you spend a lot of time cleaning the engine compartment? How many hours do you have?

Went into harbor freight and they had the same pliers as above for $3.99, however after close inspection of the diagram on the back I decided these were NOT the correct tool for the job. I spoke with a worker who said he knew what I was talking about and he said that I will just need to pull the ring apart and replace it with the ring that has the screw in it... I would love to see a pic of the pliers you guys are talking about.

The pic is not mine but my compartment is just as clean at 200hrs. Engine bay floor could definitely use some degreaser.

Don't quote me b/c I've never removed a fuel component in one of these newer high pressure systems but,

you do not remove the ring #1, you need to remove the snap ring in #2.

fuelpump2.jpg

I just replaced mine Saturday. U need to remove the snap ring and pull up on the assembly, orange hose and the elbow held in by the snap ring. Pull straight up since there is an o-ring there. The filter is right below that. Pull the filter out with a set of needle nose pliers and put the new one in with the opening/gasket facing up. (Match the orientation). Clean the o-ring and everything up, put it all back together. Took me all of 5 minutes. I am going to do this every winterization from now on. My Napa charged me less than $3 for the filter. Cheap insurance for clean fuel.

Great this is the info I needed, now I just need to find out what type I have.

According to the pdf on bakes it states "Gen 3 module uses a new Filter/Regulator and should not need to be changed on a regular, preventative basis." Does this means that the filter NEVER needs to be changed? Boat is at 200hrs.

Edited by BlitzedVLX

I used to change the fuel filter of my previous boat every year. For this one, Paul says it's good for 300 hours, so I decided to wait it out. Mine has 173 right now. I winterized it yesterday and doing a bounch of the maintenance today.

I've found those pliers and clamps at Home Depot for reasonable price while doing another project. Paul's instructions with illustrations (for guys like me) are excellent :rockon: