Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's Next...on draining on '05 VLX / 340 Monsoon?

I live in WV, on the Ohio river, and we are having our first shot of low temps in the 30's this week, and I want to drain all the raw water to avoid any possibility of a cracked block or other problems, should the temps get below freezing for a night or two. Not looking to do full winterization yet, just what to do when putting the boat up after every cold water session we have.

This is our first boat, so I know these are dumb questions, but I've never winterized any boat before. I'd like some feedback on what precautions I should take, if I want to push back my full winterization and keep boating for a few weeks. I have a 2005 VLX with the 340 Monsoon, and would like to know how many plugs to drain, and where there are located. And should I try to keep the gas tank full as possible on the cold nights. The ten day forecast here shows nights getting to 34 and 35, so it's not predicted to go below freezing, but I don't want to take any chances.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

kayakwv

***SEE UPDATE on POST #8 Below***

Drained both sides of block an exhaust hose....What's next?

Edited by kayakwv

If you aren't ready to winterize and have power where the boat is stored, take a hanging work light and put it inside the motor box. The heat from the bulb will be enough to keep anything from freezing.

Early and late in the season when there is a risk of freezing I drain the block and exhaust manifolds.

I also flush the heater and shower using a variation of the winterization modification described on this forum (its really slick!)

Most nights this is all probably overkill but it provides peace of mind.

I also flush the heater and shower using a variation of the winterization modification described on this forum (its really slick!)

Just completed my full winterization, but would like more details on your heater/shower flush modification.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

I do not have a heater or shower on my boat. I opened up the dividers to get a good look at the engine area, and want to make sure I drain all the important areas. I plan on having the dealer do their standard full winterization in a few weeks, but want to make sure I drain the block/manifolds/ etc., after each session until then.

thanks

Just completed my full winterization, but would like more details on your heater/shower flush modification.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

No heater or shower you should be safe to simply drain the block on both sides and the exahust manifolds. Look for a post by Pistol Pete....he has a link to a great winterization document that will explain this all in detail.

As for details on the heater shower flush modification check out the Resources / DIY section under winterization modification.

Good luck

Ok, it's not freezing here yet, but I wanted to get the procedure down because we are starting to have nights dip into the thirtys, so here's what I've done so far:

1. I removed the plug from the starboard side engine block and drained;

2. Removed the knock sensor from the port side and drained the port side block;

3. Uncoupled the garden style hose fitting by the exhaust manifold;

So what's my next step?

I haven't drained anything near the V-drive/transmission. Is it a threaded plug, or do I just undo the hose?

Haven't removed or checked the impeller, and it looks like it's in a really tight place in the rear of the block.

Big Question: When I take boat out again next week, can I start and run the boat with dry lines and block; without putting water back in for the impeller to be primed? Will there be any problem with airlock for the impeller to pull water from the intake?

Thanks for any input. Just a new boat owner wanting to avoid any surprises or catastrophic mistakes.

kayakwv