Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Acid wash or Not ?

So my main 2 issues are my boat sits in the water all season and has a layer of crap on the bottom that wont come off without the acid wash according to a few people. The second problem is the "faded" / "oxidized" finish. I dont know if it is from oxidation or faded color but I want to restore that new look. If I have it acid washed is that going to hurt the finish ? What is the best way to bring back that shine and reflection with deep color ? Also is it true that if i have it acid washed that the trailer bunks will get damaged if not protected ?

thanks,

Claudio

Before I got the new VTX I had an LSV and no lift. I took the boat out every 3 weeks for a bottom wash and to allow the gel coat to dry (prevent blistering). By the end of the year the boat always had a coating of green-brown stuff which only came off with acid.

Did the acid wash every year and it did not cause any problem. You will want to keep the trailer very wet all the time and do a section at a time, rinsing heavily at each step to keep the trailer from getting damaged. Make sure you are well covered and pay special attention to your face and eyes. These acids in the commercial "on and off" solutions are quite strong and deserve a great deal of respect.

Make VERY sure to do this in sections and do not let the stuff sit on there for extended time periods. I met someone who did real damage to his hull by putting the acid on and then going in for a "quick" lunch. Very bad idea.

I did not use the acid directly on the running gear but some would tend to get on it each time without doing any damage. I always applied wax shortly after the acid wash as well.

While I hated doing the acid wash, the boat always looked like new afterwards.

I can't give you personal experience with acid wash. However my Wakesetter is in the water all season and if left alone grows a film. A couple of times during the season I'll pull on my mask and grab a brush and get busy scrubbing underwater. While wet and fresh growth, it comes right off with little/minimal effort. Easier if you can grab a SCUBA tank. It's really more of a wipe-down in the water.

Starbrite Hull Cleaner using the rubber gloves..... and then a good coat of wax done with a power buffer. You'll be amazed how well the color comes back. If it needs more, then your looking at wet sanding the boat, followed by a powered polish & wax.

I can usually get the scum line off when it's wet though. Pull the boat & clean it up before the boat dries.

Slimy Grimy is awesome.

I never leave my boat in the water, but several years ago with my last boat I did leave it in Buckeye Lake for a week on a dock someone loaned me (anyone in Ohio knows Buckeye Lake is a shallow, VERY nasty lake). Week later, the film would not come off with a scrub brush and soapy water - not even close. A quick spray with the Slimy Grimy, let it sit for a minute or two, and the nasties just rise right off...didn't even rub it with a sponge. The stuff works, and isn't so harsh that you have to take extreme care with anything.

Slimy Grimy is awesome.

I never leave my boat in the water, but several years ago with my last boat I did leave it in Buckeye Lake for a week on a dock someone loaned me (anyone in Ohio knows Buckeye Lake is a shallow, VERY nasty lake). Week later, the film would not come off with a scrub brush and soapy water - not even close. A quick spray with the Slimy Grimy, let it sit for a minute or two, and the nasties just rise right off...didn't even rub it with a sponge. The stuff works, and isn't so harsh that you have to take extreme care with anything.

That's the best part. It doesn't eat the trailer or destroy everything like some acid cleaners will.