Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX rooster tail, any tips??

notorious_benny

Hey guys, now that the weather is warming up a on this side of the globe we are finally getting a few sets behind our new wakesetter.

We are all only social skiers and most of us ski at 30-32mph and 15ft off, my wife and I dont find the tail too bad as long as you just cut through, it is however upsetting some of our friends kids who come out and ski with us...... please see attached pics.

1st shot is my wife crossing the wake, at 32mph, the tail is evident but it doesnt worry her....

IMG_0329.jpg

2nd shot is the young fella getting hung up in the tail!! He just wanted to sit right in the middle!!

IMG_0314.jpg

Boat is a 2010 VTX with the diamond hull, 350hp Monsoon and the standard prop for the Monsoon. We have tried getting someone to sit up in the bow and also running only an observer and driver, it doesnt seem to reduce the rooster.

On our first outing no-one who skied recalls a rooster tail, it may be that we have only noticed it since the young bloke had a ski and got all hung up in it...... but the boat was running a low fuel load on that first outing as well....

Any tips to reduce the rooster tail would be greatly appreciated..... cheers Benny.

Edited by notorious_benny

Or shorten another loop, which ever is more comfortable for them... if he is just getting started and riding in the wake a longer line looks like it would probably give him softer water. If he is going through the wakes it looks like the bump may be quite a bit smaller on a shorter line.

He is used to an Aussie DD ski boat, and is usually a competent skier and crosses the wakes well ........ once he gets used to it I am sure he will be ok.....

I dont think he would like the longer line as it is a bigger bump back there ...... the shorter idea might be worth a go??

I would be interested though if there are ways to lessen the rooster, if its not there that is even better than getting used to it :)

Edited by notorious_benny

rooster tails happen. Going faster (if an option) usually minimizes them. If you tend to pull skiers at a given speed (say 30 mph), determine where the hump/rooster is worst, and don't put your skier at a line length that puts them in the middle of it.

Don't be afraid of lengthening or shortening the rope....sometimes the variety is good. If you are just recreational skiing, a slightly shorter line length shouldn't be any more difficult. The young fella in the photo looks like he'd be happier at the next longest line length.

On a positive note, assuming you are going 30 or 32 mph in those photos, that wake looks pretty sweet (for a V drive)...outside of the rooster.

Edited by davemac

rooster tails happen. Going faster (if an option) usually minimizes them. If you tend to pull skiers at a given speed (say 30 mph), determine where the hump/rooster is worst, and don't put your skier at a line length that puts them in the middle of it.

Don't be afraid of lengthening or shortening the rope....sometimes the variety is good. If you are just recreational skiing, a slightly shorter line length shouldn't be any more difficult. The young fella in the photo looks like he'd be happier at the next longest line length.

On a positive note, assuming you are going 30 or 32 mph in those photos, that wake looks pretty sweet (for a V drive)...outside of the rooster.

No kidding! Looks better than my Sunsetter at 15 off running 30mph!

The wake is intimidating looking at first, but once you ski through it you find that ther is not much to it. I was skiing behind a Nautique 200 last week and then skiied behind my VTX today. The wake looked huge at first today, but I quickly got used to it again. Give it some time.

The wake is intimidating looking at first, but once you ski through it you find that ther is not much to it. I was skiing behind a Nautique 200 last week and then skiied behind my VTX today. The wake looked huge at first today, but I quickly got used to it again. Give it some time.

How was the Nautique? Especially compared to the VTX?