Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing spark plugs

95 Merc 350 EFI.

This has probably been discussed, but thought I'd ask. Of course, the exhaust manifold wont let a socket get a clean bite on a plug.

Any hints how to do this simple job without removing the exhaust manifold?

The one I broke getting out doesn't look too bad though. Also, they are NGK BR6FS, any recommendations for a good replacement? I"m thinking of trying Accels or Autolites.

Thanks in advance,

Steve B.

95 Merc 350 EFI.

This has probably been discussed, but thought I'd ask. Of course, the exhaust manifold wont let a socket get a clean bite on a plug.

Any hints how to do this simple job without removing the exhaust manifold?

The one I broke getting out doesn't look too bad though. Also, they are NGK BR6FS, any recommendations for a good replacement? I"m thinking of trying Accels or Autolites.

Thanks in advance,

Steve B.

So, I bought a longer spark plug socket thinking that might help. It was worse because it was thicker.

Ended up going to Lowe's and found a nice "thin" wall socket that made the job a breeze !

Only one had ever been replaced. All others original over 1000 hours on engine. Most looked great.

Right tool for the right job as they say,

Steve B.

That thin walled socket is certainly the way to fly.

Not an NGK fan...something about putting a Japanese plug in my American V8 that just doesn't feel right. LOL.gif

I use Autolite's in my boat. I know quite a few Corvette nuts that run Autolites exclusively and swear by them for GM motors. I've had great luck with them and you sure can't beat the price.

NGK is the way to go, period. I run the TR55 in my boat and truck, and TR6 in my Formula Firebird. Run them in my wife's Audi as well (which is now th factory suggested plug and what the dealer would put in for the 2.0T replacing the POS Bosch plug).

So, I bought a longer spark plug socket thinking that might help. It was worse because it was thicker.

Ended up going to Lowe's and found a nice "thin" wall socket that made the job a breeze !

Only one had ever been replaced. All others original over 1000 hours on engine. Most looked great.

Right tool for the right job as they say,

Steve B.

what size thin wall socket did you buy to fit?

Alan, it's a 5/8", 12 point I got from Lowe's. I went there, bought the first one, thinking it would be fine. Turns out it actually runs into the block more than anything.

So, went back, and darned if they didn't have the same size in a much thinner walled version. I was skeptical, but bought it.

The thinner one makes it a breeze. Goes on solidly. I use about a 6 inch extension, then the socket wrench. Only $4.87. Hope that helps,

Steve B.

Alan, it's a 5/8", 12 point I got from Lowe's. I went there, bought the first one, thinking it would be fine. Turns out it actually runs into the block more than anything.

So, went back, and darned if they didn't have the same size in a much thinner walled version. I was skeptical, but bought it.

The thinner one makes it a breeze. Goes on solidly. I use about a 6 inch extension, then the socket wrench. Only $4.87. Hope that helps,

Steve B.