Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 LSV vs. 230 TEAM

1BAYAMAHA

I currently have a 2008 Nautique 210 and i want to move up to the 23 footer. I'm thinking of moving to a Malibu. What will I find better about the Malibu? Is the 350 motor enough power for this boat? It will be used mostly for surfing with an extra 2K ballast. Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

The power wedge is a plus over that gate thingy! The Monsoon is

enough power with a lower pitch prop or what they call the high altitude prop. I think it is an option.

If you do go for a Malibu welcome to the crew.

I currently have a 2008 Nautique 210 and i want to move up to the 23 footer. I'm thinking of moving to a Malibu. What will I find better about the Malibu? Is the 350 motor enough power for this boat? It will be used mostly for surfing with an extra 2K ballast. Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

What will you like better? Well, Correct Craft makes a fine boat. However, comparing that 210 to a 23 you will find that it is less sensitive to weight distribution, a more consistent wake, and will handle better. I have never found that correct crafts ever outperform 'bus from the seat test. They just feel more sluggish to me. So, with a high altitude prop, I think youll find that its actually more impressive than your cc. Have a buddy with an '11 vlx, monsoon and high altitude. when that thing is unloaded it is amazing how hard it will pin you in your seat. Sure, you start throwing 3k pounds in things change, but I always think that how a boat handles unloaded is a good indicator or how ti will handle when loaded too.

I don't think you;ll be disappointed, good luck.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

What will you like better? Well, Correct Craft makes a fine boat. However, comparing that 210 to a 23 you will find that it is less sensitive to weight distribution, a more consistent wake, and will handle better. I have never found that correct crafts ever outperform 'bus from the seat test. They just feel more sluggish to me. So, with a high altitude prop, I think youll find that its actually more impressive than your cc. Have a buddy with a vlx, monsoon and high altitude. when that thing is unloaded it is amazing how hard it will pin you in your seat. Sure, you start throwing 3k pounds in things change, but I always think that how a boat handles unloaded is a good indicator or how ti will handle when loaded too.

I don't think you;ll be disappointed, good luck.

I haven't been behind a new 210, but if you're assuming a 23' boat will be less weight sensitive I can tell you my VLX is less sensitive than my friend's 230.

To the OP, they're both great boats. The 230 wakeboard wake is steep and the LSV has more transition, but can be peaked up with the wedge. I haven't surfed the 230, but know the LSV surfs well. Both boats handle smooth and don't drive like big boats. I'd try to get in and behind both. If you decide on the 230 and are considering used, I know someone who has one for sale in PA that's in like new condition, PM me. Good luck!

Edited by sp0tts

I haven't been behind a new 210, but if you're assuming a 23' boat will be less weight sensitive I can tell you my VLX is less sensitive than my friend's 230.To the OP, they're both great boats. The 230 wakeboard wake is steep and the LSV has more transition, but can be peaked up with the wedge. I haven't surfed the 230, but know the LSV surfs well. Both boats handle smooth and don't drive like big boats. I'd try to get in and behind both. If you decide on the 230 and are considering used, I know someone who has one for sale in PA that's in like new condition, PM me. Good luck!

That wasn't my assumption at all. I specifically compared his 210 to a 23. The 210 hull is a derivative of a ski nautique 2001 hull believe it or not and has been around forever. It is extremely weight sensitive, especially side to side. No comparison between VLX and LSV being made.

I don't know that you will find anything specifically better (opinions vary IRT how the top/bottom of the hulls are joined), but the first thing that you will notice is the styling difference. I always considered the C.C.s the middle ground between the extreme styling of MC and the more traditional styling of the Bu's. Me, I'm a 50 y/o and like the more traditional styling. I came from a '06 Moomba Outback-V at 20.6' long (325 hp) and I know I can't whip my 23 around like the OBV, but it sure feels like it. I was amazed by the handling w/ the prop (537 Acme) and the Monsoon 350 hp that came with it. I replaced the prop with a (1235 Acme/H.A.) because 90% of the time I surf and was shocked at how it woke it up and pinned you to the seat when empty, even loading it with ballast hasn't ceased to impress people. The wedge is nice to be able to tailor/tame the face of the wake for wake surfing. Me personally, I won't get behind my boat to wake board with a full load and max wedge, but my oldest son and a friend of mine who has an Avalanche (both with major skills) beat me up all the time to pull them. As far as weight sensitive goes IMO all boats have specific personalities when it comes to that. Everyone thinks I'm F.O.S. when I tell them not to move around in the boat when we surf because I can tell/see the difference. There are other guys on here that can probably give you a better read on that than I can. Hope this helps.

I owned 3 SANTE 230's and I've got 2 friends who have '07+ 210s. I loved the room and styling of the 230's, but the wake gave me problems because I like to add extra weight. From what I've read, most 230 owners who run lots of extra weight ride at like 85+ feet at 27+ mph. I'm not comfortable with that. The surf wave behind the 230 was awesome.

I really like the LSV wake and wave as well. The styling of the LSV is a little different from the 230, but it's definitely on par with it. I had the zr409 in my last two 230's (a zr390 in the '08 I had), and I can tell you that the big motor is a must in the 230. That boat is way underpowered with the small motor.

I don't own a LSV, so I can't comment on the motor that that boat really needs under x,y,z conditions. I did have an '07 VLX, and the 340 monsoon was a solid motor for that boat. I have a '11 Axis A22 right now with the Raptor 400 in it. I can tell you that I use every one of those horses when we ride, but, again, we add extra weight via the plug n play system.

If surfing is your priority, then both boats will perform really well, and it comes down to a matter of price and styling preferences. If wakeboarding is your thing, and you like a bigger than factory wake, I'd demo both boats with extra weight in them so you know going into the deal what you're working with.

I owned 3 SANTE 230's and I've got 2 friends who have '07+ 210s. I loved the room and styling of the 230's, but the wake gave me problems because I like to add extra weight. From what I've read, most 230 owners who run lots of extra weight ride at like 85+ feet at 27+ mph. I'm not comfortable with that. The surf wave behind the 230 was awesome.

I really like the LSV wake and wave as well. The styling of the LSV is a little different from the 230, but it's definitely on par with it. I had the zr409 in my last two 230's (a zr390 in the '08 I had), and I can tell you that the big motor is a must in the 230. That boat is way underpowered with the small motor.

I don't own a LSV, so I can't comment on the motor that that boat really needs under x,y,z conditions. I did have an '07 VLX, and the 340 monsoon was a solid motor for that boat. I have a '11 Axis A22 right now with the Raptor 400 in it. I can tell you that I use every one of those horses when we ride, but, again, we add extra weight via the plug n play system.

If surfing is your priority, then both boats will perform really well, and it comes down to a matter of price and styling preferences. If wakeboarding is your thing, and you like a bigger than factory wake, I'd demo both boats with extra weight in them so you know going into the deal what you're working with.

funny to see you on here chattwake. i'm kevfran99 on plantet nautique. got screwed by TRC with a repair when they went out of business in your area. Just glad to get my boat out of there.

Thanks to all for their opinions. they are greatly appreciated. i will be heading the the dealerships next week for test drives and solid check outs. I just don't like the price of the new 230's. Over 100K is getting out of control! Keep the opinions coming!

Edited by 1BAYAMAHA

I have talked to a few people who said the same thing as Chattwake, the 230 was very weight sensitive. It would clean up at faster speeds, but would sometimes still wash out right as you cut into it. Combine that with already going a bit faster than you wanted and you have a recipe for hurting yourself. The older 220 I rode behind felt like a nice solid boat and I really like all of the rear facing seats, but it was also extremely weight sensitive to any sort of movement in the boat.

Sorry to hear about your experience with TRC. Not sure exactly what happened there. I heard some odds and ends about your boat, but there are generally two sides to every story. My friends and I had nothing but great service from them. Go figure. Good luck with your search though.

why is that needed for "mostly" surfing?

- Better fuel mileage

- More power

- Less sacrifices. Seems those running the old GEN-I SBC motors always end up running the "high altitude" prop to make up for the lack of power. This just = higher RPM's and more thirst when crusing to your favorite location. Slower top speed to go along with it

- 350 is a very dated motor. Last update GM did to it was in 1996, installing heads similar to the LT1 heads. Before that the last revision was 1987. These aren't entry level boats - why put the cheapest, most dated motor you can come up with in them? The GEN-I SBC is a fine motor, but there have been many, many better Marine powerplants available for years now.

- Resale. People will pass up boats with the low-end motor...no one will pass up a boat because it has the better motor in it. Some buyers will also pay more for the better motor as well come resale time, in some cases making up all (or more) of the up-front cost of optioning the better motor. This would especially be true on a bigger boat that would benefit more from having a larger motor.

You know how much gas you have to burn to pay for that upcharge? It would never pay for itself on fuel economy. Actually you'll find that most with the larger engines also run the high altitude prop as well. That's because often the limitation is not power, it's traction when running extreme weight.

The question from OP was whether it was enough. In my opinion, the answer is yes, especially for someone who primarily surfs. Doesn't bother me a bit that Indmar still uses the GEN 1. I've had about 6, all have been trouble-free and performace was more than satisfactory.

It's been my personal opinion that the argument of gas cost for a bigger motor or smaller motor are a wash. Bigger motors have to work less hard and thus use less gas than you'd think has been what i've always heard. I think whether you go big or small is irrelevant so long as you have as much power as you want.

I have a 23 LSV and I'm not even running the "high altitude prop" yet (what people are referring to is the acme 1235). I'm running the stock 537 prop and I have plenty of get up and go with stock ballasts. I have 2 750's in the back and I fill those up and drop the wedge when I ride. It's a *little* slow on start ups - emphasis on little. You could still get by with it. When I get the 1235 it won't be a problem at all.

I don't necessarily like the verbiage "make up for lack of power". I think of it as running the appropriate prop for the application. I don't think getting a larger motor is going to alleviate the need for an appropriately sized prop for it's application. Just my $.02 - coming from an LSV owner, I don't think you'd have a desire for a larger engine than the 350 unless you're going to be running massive amounts of ballast.

(I currently am running 2750 when the 750s are full + wedge) and I feel that the 1235 upgrade will be more than adequate for me. If you're going to be running well over 3k total in ballast maybe then start looking at larger engine options would be my advice. Of course if you don't mind spending money on an upgrade - just get it anyway.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

- Better fuel mileage

- More power

- Less sacrifices. Seems those running the old GEN-I SBC motors always end up running the "high altitude" prop to make up for the lack of power. This just = higher RPM's and more thirst when crusing to your favorite location. Slower top speed to go along with it

- 350 is a very dated motor. Last update GM did to it was in 1996, installing heads similar to the LT1 heads. Before that the last revision was 1987. These aren't entry level boats - why put the cheapest, most dated motor you can come up with in them? The GEN-I SBC is a fine motor, but there have been many, many better Marine powerplants available for years now.

- Resale. People will pass up boats with the low-end motor...no one will pass up a boat because it has the better motor in it. Some buyers will also pay more for the better motor as well come resale time, in some cases making up all (or more) of the up-front cost of optioning the better motor. This would especially be true on a bigger boat that would benefit more from having a larger motor.

I completely understand what your saying. I would never have the 230 with the 350 motor. From what i've seen, and have been told by the dealership almost all the 23 lsvs come with the 350 and swear it's plenty of power.

I have the option to buy a new/used 2011 with full warranty/ 150 hrs for 74K with what seems to be every option(full balast, pop up bow light, complete deck kit non skid, rear sun deck walk over, battery option 3, 2 outlet heater, power wedge, maliview, boat cover, bimini, trailer w/20's led lights, prop guard and 4 wheel disc, gold sound pack with 12 sub, and sound pack 1, docking lights, and hot water shower with the 350 motor). Is this a solid price? Should it be cheaper?

That sounds like a lot for a boat with 150 hours on it. I could be way off here since I'm not that familiar with the 23 LSV pricing, but I thought I remembered people saying they got loaded up LSVs with 0 hours on them in that price range. Again, I might be wrong.

I ride behind a friend's 230 all the time. It surfs great with a 750 in the corner, even better with that plus more people. On my Malibu, I REALLY like the ability to tweak the surf wake with the wedge while underway, and I like the Catalytic converter getting rid of a lot of the emissions issues that otherwise would concern me more with surfing and people riding on the back platform. I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to surf behind either boat, so if you have a real strong preference for one or the other based on other factors, don't think you will be disappointed in either.