Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SM/CG vs. SJ/CG4 oil--does it matter?

I purchased some diesel oil last night (Rotella 15w40 SM/CG) for my Indmar monsoon. The indmar manual calls for SJ/CG4 oil. Does this difference matter? I wasn't able to find any SJ/CG4 oil, it was all SM. Maybe is has just been updated and is fine to use? Thanks.

To OP, it is my understanding that as the ratings get "better", the lower ratings are all surpassed. In other words, at the time of your manual, SJ was standard, M follows J in the alphabet, and is approved for use in any engine requiring a rating "below" the Oil's rating letter.

To OP, it is my understanding that as the ratings get "better", the lower ratings are all surpassed. In other words, at the time of your manual, SJ was standard, M follows J in the alphabet, and is approved for use in any engine requiring a rating "below" the Oil's rating letter.

I have the same understanding.

Correct, SN rating came out recently and reflects an improvement in the oil to work properly with direct injected engines. It is also better than SJ, SL, and SM rated oil in non DI engines. As for the diesel rating, they are now up to CJ-4, which is a low soot formulation. Again better than CG or CG-4. There is no such thing as a bad oil anymore.