Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Turning a fixed rack into a swivel

Ndawg12

I think I've asked this before with not much response so I'll try again (maybe I'll have to be the gineau pig). Has anyone used this product or something similar to turn a fixed Titan board rack into a swivel rack. Seems pretty cost effective compared to spending $600+ on a whole new set/pair of racks...

Aerial Rotating Arm for Racks

post-8316-004915800 1318455207_thumb.jpg

I think I've asked this before with not much response so I'll try again (maybe I'll have to be the gineau pig). Has anyone used this product or something similar to turn a fixed Titan board rack into a swivel rack. Seems pretty cost effective compared to spending $600+ on a whole new set/pair of racks...

BTW, does anyone know the bolt pattern on the Titan 3 clamps/Titan fixed board racks. This swivel is 2" on center....?

Edited by Ndawg12

BTW, does anyone know the bolt pattern on the Titan 3 clamps/Titan fixed board racks. This swivel is 2" on center....?

I could check the bolt pattern of my Titan II if you think that would help. I'm curious about those too, so I just sent them an email to see if the swivel will fit the Titan II and Titan III. Hopefully we'll hear back from them before spring. I like your idea of you being the guinea pig. :biggrin:

I could check the bolt pattern of my Titan II if you think that would help. I'm curious about those too, so I just sent them an email to see if the swivel will fit the Titan II and Titan III. Hopefully we'll hear back from them before spring. I like your idea of you being the guinea pig. :biggrin:

I doubt there's a difference between the 2 and 3 and the rack clamps they used. So yeah that would be cool if you can get a measurement. I allready talked with aerial and my local dist but they don't know for sure if it will work.

and no I don't really want to be the gineau pig, at least just to see if they fit. I'm kinda shocked that there isn't more interest in something like this. There's got to be alot of these racks out there and it's a pita to get or put a board in the rack, especially if someone is sitting in that vicinity, it can get real personal :whistle:

Here's a similar swivel mount in black instead of polished, in case you're interested.

I could like that swivel better if it's available in polished. The actual hing part looks more robust, nice find. I might try to call them tomorrow.

Edit- my late night math yields a bolt pattern of 1.377" (35mm), I doubt its that small but atleast we have a couple options.

Edit #2- they just emailed me and said they only come in black and they won't fit the Titan setup.

Edited by Ndawg12

Alright, I got a measurement on the bolt pattern of where the tower clamp fastens to my Titan II board rack. It's a four bolt square pattern and each hole is 1-9/16 on center (I don't do late night math). Hope this helps.

Since it is almost the off season and we might have some time here at the shop, you could always send the racks in and I will retrofit a Menace spinner to your Titan rack.. I will figure out cost for you this afternoon.. Let me know if this would be something you would be interested in...

i was already the gineau pig on this one. It does not fit the titan rack that I have. None of the holes line up and I also tried it on a air boom rack that I have and it didn't fit either. So unless you have an aerial rack brand or whatever the brand was that makes these swivels, I would avoid buying it.

Just had to pull my racks off to fit boat into it's winter home! I was wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket swivel mount for metcraft racks for an illusion tower? If not, I'm gunna have to switch out my racks for something that swivels & eat the cost.......

Kinda along the same lines......Sorry for the hijack

Koop

Just had to pull my racks off to fit boat into it's winter home! I was wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket swivel mount for metcraft racks for an illusion tower? If not, I'm gunna have to switch out my racks for something that swivels & eat the cost.......

Kinda along the same lines......Sorry for the hijack

Koop

I'll join in on this hijack. 2006 WS w/ Illusion tower & basic Metcraft racks. Would love a cost effective swivel solution.

Since it is almost the off season and we might have some time here at the shop, you could always send the racks in and I will retrofit a Menace spinner to your Titan rack.. I will figure out cost for you this afternoon.. Let me know if this would be something you would be interested in...

PM sent......nevermind your MB is full. I'm interested, what are your thoughts and pricing?

Edited by Ndawg12

That doesn't fit the Illusion X tower, does it?

Alright, I got a measurement on the bolt pattern of where the tower clamp fastens to my Titan II board rack. It's a four bolt square pattern and each hole is 1-9/16 on center (I don't do late night math). Hope this helps.

Sorry I missed this post, thanks for the measurements, I guess that eliminates all the options I've seen so far.....where did Brett go??!!

• 1 month later...

I had a go at this, using the adapters shown Here.

It wasnt very successful, on my Illusion X tower. The adaptor needs to clear the back of the tower, to allow it to rotate to 90deg (the adaptor only goes this far).

The mounting holes in the tower are tapped at an angle (approx 10 deg) at 70mm centres (sorry dont do inches etc). So I had to drill new holes in the base, so that forward facing hole had to be drilled so close to the end that there is hardly any margin for error.

Even after doing this, the adaptor could only swing back about 45deg. :(

Myth

I had a go at this, using the adapters shown Here.

It wasnt very successful, on my Illusion X tower. The adaptor needs to clear the back of the tower, to allow it to rotate to 90deg (the adaptor only goes this far).

The mounting holes in the tower are tapped at an angle (approx 10 deg) at 70mm centres (sorry dont do inches etc). So I had to drill new holes in the base, so that forward facing hole had to be drilled so close to the end that there is hardly any margin for error.

Even after doing this, the adaptor could only swing back about 45deg. :(

Myth

I'm glad you brought this up. I will be finishing my adapter 2 nite and fitting it on the tower to see how works. Then hopefully I will be polishing it up later on this week.