Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 Winterization

Murphy8166

Just want to list out what I plan on doing to winterize our 2011 VLX with the Indmar Monsoon Motor. Please let me know if I have missed anything.

No heater and no shower

1.) Fuel Treatment: (we have already added Stabil Fuel Treatment and put an hour on the motor with the treatment in the tank)

2.) Fluid Change: (oil, filter and transmission fluid)

3.) Block Preparation: (remove two knock sensors, disconnect quick connect that exits each manifold, remove hose from impeller to tranny cooler and remove J shaped hose)

4.) V Drive Preparation: (remove both bolts on front of V drive and/or remove hoses entering V drive)

5.) Ballast Preparation: (turn on all pumps to remove any remaining water)

We do not plan on introducing antifreeze into the block.

Fogging: I know that the proper way to fog this engine is by introducing fogging oil into each of the 8 cylinders via the spark plug hole. Is the absolutely necessary?

Thanks for the help

Just want to list out what I plan on doing to winterize our 2011 VLX with the Indmar Monsoon Motor. Please let me know if I have missed anything.

No heater and no shower

1.) Fuel Treatment: (we have already added Stabil Fuel Treatment and put an hour on the motor with the treatment in the tank)

3.) Block Preparation: (remove two knock sensors, disconnect quick connect that exits each manifold, remove hose from impeller to tranny cooler and remove J shaped hose)

4.) V Drive Preparation: (remove both bolts on front of V drive and/or remove hoses entering V drive)

Fogging: I know that the proper way to fog this engine is by introducing fogging oil into each of the 8 cylinders via the spark plug hole. Is the absolutely necessary?

Thanks for the help

Here is our punch list for winterizing

Winterize with Oil & Filter & TransmissionService

• Add Fuel Stabilizer & Circulate into Fuel System
  • Test Run Engine to Operating Temperature
  • Change Oil & Filter, Test Run After Change & Top Off
  • Change Transmission Fluid, Test Run after Change & TopOff
  • Check Belts & Hoses
  • Check Alternator Output
  • General Systems Check
  • Fog Engine Cylinders
  • Remove All HullDrain Plugs
  • Drain Block, Manifolds, Cooling System, & AnyAccessories
  • Coat Exterior of Engine with Corrosion Guard
  • Coat Electrical Terminals & exposed Connections
  • Disconnect Battery or Turn Off BatterySwitch
  • Hang all Plugs & Hose Clamps on Throttle

How long is your winter lay up? Up here I think fogging the cylinders is very important because we usually lay up for 5-7 months, the motors are too expensive and with the high performance parts and limited slip piston rings they use to pick up performance the 30 minutes it takes to fog the cylinders is well worth every minute of your time.

If you run the motor once a month in the winter (the guys that go year round) I don't think its necessary to fog the cylinders.

-Paul

Great list Paul,

Can you provide some more detail on fogging the cylinders. I am thinking that I would remove each plug, spray oil for about 3-5 seconds into each cylinder and then puts theplugs back in.

Would it make sense to pull the kill switch and bump the starters to get the fogging oil all over the cylinders?

Great list Paul,

Can you provide some more detail on fogging the cylinders. I am thinking that I would remove each plug, spray oil for about 3-5 seconds into each cylinder and then puts theplugs back in.

Would it make sense to pull the kill switch and bump the starters to get the fogging oil all over the cylinders?

Yes...do you spray it in thru the spark plug hole and nothing more, or have the piston do one rotation to coat the cylinder wall. And what about the sensors...remove them?? Can you put too much goop in the cylinder?

Thanks Paul,

We all apprecaiate you helping us out keeping our investment running in tip top shape.

I would check with WSA, I was told yesterday that you actually can do damage by fogging the newer motors.

Only if you spray through the air intake, that is not what Paul was talking about. In fact he went into depth on that subject in another thread. No worries Paul knows his stuff.

No heater and no shower

Thanks for the help

Can i ask why you remove the knock sensors?

Only if you spray through the air intake, that is not what Paul was talking about. In fact he went into depth on that subject in another thread. No worries Paul knows his stuff.

Good to know, I'll check that other thread. Thanks!