Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting ready for the cold!

Hey Crew,

We are getting our VLX ready for the Canadian winter and I just wanted to share how we flushed the system and get some feedback.

1. Added fuel stabilizer and topped up fuel tank.

2. Hooked up water supply to fake a lake and ran engine for 15 mins to get stable fuel into engine and get engine up to operating temp so t-stat is open.

3. Ran 20 liters of R/V antifreeze into water intake. Caught the antifreeze in a rubbermaid container coming out of the exhaust. Once the antifreeze containers were empty we put the hose connected to the fake a lake into the container collecting the antifreeze at the back of the boat. We circulated the antifreeze for about 10 minutes.

4. Changed engine oil & filter

5. Changed trans oil

6. Changed V drive oil

7. Removed plug from right side of engine block to confirm antifreeze was in engine block.

We are waiting for parts to finish the rest of the layup procedure: impeller, plugs(going to fog when these are changed) etc.

So that's where we are at right now. We figured circulating antifreeze is a good bet in our climate (-30 C) rather than draining all the water and risk missing something.

Just wanted to throw this up and get peoples 2 cents. If it wasn't for this site I wouldn't have known about the t-stat needing to be open!!!

Also would it be worth it to run antifreeze into the ballast tanks and pumps?

Thanks in advance ehh!

I'm a new Malibu owner, but the dealer I bought my boat from told me that you should always run some antifreeze through the ballast system. My 2 cents.

I have never put antifreeze in my ballast system but I am not in your climate. Really don't want that stuff in the lake, it says non toxic but I still have my doubts.

Holding a shop vac over the ports will allow the shpvac to suck out all the water that the pumps wont get out on their own. Different climate though it just doesn't get as cold here.

We figured circulating antifreeze is a good bet in our climate (-30 C) rather than draining all the water and risk missing something.

Just wanted to throw this up and get peoples 2 cents. If it wasn't for this site I wouldn't have known about the t-stat needing to be open!!!

Also would it be worth it to run antifreeze into the ballast tanks and pumps?

Thanks in advance ehh!

Waste of time and money to put the antifreeze in the block and riskier. Better to just pull out the knock sensor on one side and drain on the other and remove all the hoses and let it drain, don't forget the transcooler little plug either. Then you know nothing will freeze because there is nothing in there. With the antifreeze you run the risk of it being diluted and then if it freezes there is nowhere for it to go other than to crack your block. Why people keep perpetuating this miss information of the need to put anti freeze in the block is beyond me when draining the entire block is the proven method on an open system. Then in the spring you are all polluting the waters with all this antifreeze. What a waste. And yes, it can get that cold here, 16 years without a problem.

As for the Ballast and pumps i have no comment as I don't have experience with those, other than heater and shower. And with those, I just blow the water out with a compressor.

I have never put antifreeze in my ballast system but I am not in your climate. Really don't want that stuff in the lake, it says non toxic but I still have my doubts.

Holding a shop vac over the ports will allow the shpvac to suck out all the water that the pumps wont get out on their own. Different climate though it just doesn't get as cold here.

I'm really glad somebody shares that opinion... You won't ever see Bake's using anti freeze to winterize a boat.

Waste of time and money to put the antifreeze in the block and riskier. Better to just pull out the knock sensor on one side and drain on the other and remove all the hoses and let it drain, don't forget the transcooler little plug either. Then you know nothing will freeze because there is nothing in there. With the antifreeze you run the risk of it being diluted and then if it freezes there is nowhere for it to go other than to crack your block. Why people keep perpetuating this miss information of the need to put anti freeze in the block is beyond me when draining the entire block is the proven method on an open system. Then in the spring you are all polluting the waters with all this antifreeze. What a waste. And yes, it can get that cold here, 16 years without a problem.

As for the Ballast and pumps i have no comment as I don't have experience with those, other than heater and shower. And with those, I just blow the water out with a compressor.

You bet, there a lot of customers that self winterize and we always end up replacing something because they "thought" they ran enough anti freeze through the system.

-Paul

We recycle all our used oils and antifreeze. I don't want that stuff contaminating our lake either.

We figured circulating the anti freeze would ensure we are safe, and leaving it in the system would prevent corrosion.

I see what your saying with the added risk of not draining the antifreeze. Maybe I'll pull the hoses and plugs just to be safe.

Nearest Dealer is 4 hours away. So that's why we are on our own.

Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really glad somebody shares that opinion... You won't ever see Bake's using anti freeze to winterize a boat.

You bet, there a lot of customers that self winterize and we always end up replacing something because they "thought" they ran enough anti freeze through the system.

-Paul

Paul I drained my 99 Sportster then replaced drain plugs / clamps etc then removed the intake hose at the hull and funnelled 3 gallons of plumbing antifreeze through while running until it came out the exhaust.I did not run it to operating temp though. Then I redrained the system and left everything open including a few hoses as well as removed the impellor. Our winters here in Ontario can on occassion reach minus 40 cel ( same as minus 40 Fahr) so figure the antifreeze flush just helps remove any lingering water left behind. I have seen plumbing antifreeze rated for minus 50 cel freeze before just sitting in the jug outside in northern Ontario . I figure the antifreeze flush is cheap insurance.

BTW....thanks for the great service shipping me the parts to Toronto....great price and great service !

Gord

Edited by Sliderfiii