Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

NEW OWNER! Gas consumption, the new Precision Speed control, wakes, and other Malibu Q’s

sandvign

Ok, we have FINALLY decided that this is the year we drop the 1988 Rinker and step up to an actual wakeboard boat. After comparing the big 3 in manufacturers we think Malibu is the best for the money, even though I have extensive experience with Nautiques and Mastercrafts and none whatsoever with Malibu. I have a lot of questions to ask and my local Malibu dealer is good but I am kind of leery towards what he really knows and what he says because he read it. Really he is a smaller dealer and because of this, his minimal exposure to Malibu’s concerns me. I’ll write more on the issue below.

First off, we just aren't sure whether to get the Wakesetter VLX or Wakesetter LSV. We like the added room the LSV offers but are curious as to the differences in the wakes. We will primarily be hardcore wakeboarding behind it but also need the little kids to learn to ski behind and tube and such. The Malibu rep at the boat show said as long as your not looking for competition ski wakes, which we definitely aren’t, either boat would work fine for us.

My next concern is speed; I like the new Precision speed control but am concerned on how it would perform with 2000 lbs of water in it and 10 people. Speed control is a BIG issue because of the variety of drivers that operate the boat. I have used Perfect Pass wakeboard pro before and LOVE it.

My next question is on which engine to get. The minimum we will get is the Monsoon regardless of the boat we choose. I am used to driving my friends 04 X Star with the HUGE 8.1 L GM 8100 in it and like the fact that power is there for you whenever you need it, but that also is a ton of power that I did not have to pay for, unlike my situation. I would like the Hammerhead but is it really worth it over the Monsoon. Also what kind of gas consumption should I expect from the two?

My dealer also wasn't sure of the weight of the front ballast tank. If anyone is sure what the individual tanks weight, that would be great. Plus in other makes of boats, especially Mastercraft, my groups of guys has run into issues with the ballast pumps choosing when they would like to work. How do Malibu's work for everyone?

My final and maybe GREATEST concern is with my dealer. We went the KC boat show this weekend and the Malibu guys there said that you can only buy an 06 model boat from the area dealer where the boat is stored, and since our cabin is on a lake in northern Iowa, we must buy from the dealer in Delhi, Iowa. After talking to the dealer in Delhi, he said that he has never ordered or sold a Wakesetter, which really concerns me. Should it?

Thank you in advance for your help. If there is anything else you would like to inform me of to ease my concerns on dropping 50k on a boat that would be GREATLY appreciated. If I have any future questions/concerns I’ll be sure and let you guys know. Thanks again and I look forward to join the Malibu family.

Thanks!

Nick Sandvig

Welcome Nick,

Sounds like you are going through some of the new-boat-buyer questions.

I don't know if I can add much to your questions:

- Atta boy on choosing Malibu, we also like them Thumbup.gif

- VLX vs LSV... the VLX is now bigger than it use to be... so they are a lot closer now, are you trailering, will you be spending all day in the boat, or will it be more of a -go out, get 'er done and come back?.. All day, and lots of people lean towards the LSV. As for wake, they'll both be good - take a test drive before you choose!!!!

- If you can afford it, get the Hammerhead.. or the 8.1

- The pumps work great, no common issues here

- Tank size.. why are you concerned? Test drive, and see the wake for yourself

- I don't know anything about the dealer issues, someone else can chime on that

Welcome to the party!

I would like the Hammerhead but is it really worth it over the Monsoon. Also what kind of gas consumption should I expect from the two?

Wish I could answer more of your questions, but you'll get lots of responses. First, welcome to the site and enjoy your new Malibu! From articles I've read, gas consumption for similar speeds with same/similar hull is fairly consistent. You will get disparate results at WOT.

Go for the bigger boat. Based on your brief description and assuming you have the towing, storage, docking, hoist capability, you will never regret it. Same for the HH question. If $ is not an issue, go with the HH because it will never leave you wanting.

Welcome Nick,

- VLX vs LSV... the VLX is now bigger than it use to be... so they are a lot closer now, are you trailering, will you be spending all day in the boat, or will it be more of a -go out, get 'er done and come back?.. All day, and lots of people lean towards the LSV. As for wake, they'll both be good - take a test drive before you choose!!!!

Welcome to the party!

Trailering is not an issue becuase we have lakefront property with a dock and lift. I think we'd rather have the LSV but thought if the wake was better on the VLX we could throw the Hammerhead in that for the same price as the LSV without the HH. And ballast tank size isn't a concern, but weight is. I'd like to know how much it weights because I have fat sacs I could throw up front, but if I could get alot of weight (like 600+) with the flip of a switch, that would be great. THANK YOU SacRiverRat!

Welcome Nick,

Welcome to the party!

Trailering is not an issue becuase we have lakefront property with a dock and lift. I think we'd rather have the LSV but thought if the wake was better on the VLX we could throw the Hammerhead in that for the same price as the LSV without the HH. And ballast tank size isn't a concern, but weight is. I'd like to know how much it weights because I have fat sacs I could throw up front, but if I could get alot of weight (like 600+) with the flip of a switch, that would be great. THANK YOU SacRiverRat!

The wake is probably a little easeir to get with the VLX, but you sacrafice some size & storage.. definitely a personal call - I wouldn't choose on just the wake, becuase it isn't that much different, and unless you're really hard core, you'll spend more time enjoying the boat for the comofort & space more than riding the wake.

Get the ballast tanks FO-Sure... so much easier than sacks. you can always use your sacks in addition to the tanks. Just maximize the built in weight capability, then worry about the sacks later Yes.gif

If you are making cost trades (who isn't) avoid the 8.1, and go with the HH - either way.. be sure to drive the boats before you order!

You'll run into the annoying dealer territory issue with all the big three (Malibu, CC and MC).

I certainly don't see an issue with buying from the local dealer near your home and then just taking it up to the cabin and having your dealer up there service it. Realize, though, that most likely you will not be at the top of the list when you need service on the spot, which is an important thing to remember if your at the cabin on vacation for the week and the boat takes a turn for the worse.

I would personally be much more concerned with their overall responsive to issues and expertise with any Malibu (or other brand inboard for that matter) then whether or not they've ever sold a Wakesetter before. In other words, just because they have never sold a Wakesetter doesn't mean they would be a bad choice. There are certainly a lot of very big Malibu dealers out there selling a lot of Wakesetters that leave a lot to be desired and some small ones that are fantastic.

Just my $.02.

Mike

...we could throw the Hammerhead in that(the VLX) for the same price as the LSV without the HH.

I'd take a VLX with a HH over a LSV with a Monsoon everyday of the week (Sorry Troy :( )...but then what do I know...I'm a slalom skier. :lol:

Individual tanks: front 350 locker 500 rear 200 each

As for the wake I have ridden behind both with the Vlx a whole lot more, but with 2klbs in each they are very similar, with the LSV being a little wider.

If you want big and dollars aren't too much of an issue, I would look into the 247. I understand that it throws an awesome wake from stock and it has the size you are looking for. Just make sure that the bigger boats won't be a problem with trailering, storing etc.

Welcome to the site Nick.

First off, we just aren't sure whether to get the Wakesetter VLX or Wakesetter LSV. We like the added room the LSV offers but are curious as to the differences in the wakes. We will primarily be hardcore wakeboarding behind it but also need the little kids to learn to ski behind and tube and such. The Malibu rep at the boat show said as long as your not looking for competition ski wakes, which we definitely aren’t, either boat would work fine for us.

If you're at all concerned about ski wakes, then you're looking at the wrong line of boats. Otherwise, I'd say that if you go out with more than 8 people on a very regular basis, go for the LSV. 8 or under, the VLX will do the job nicely. It sounds like with you being on a lake that storage may not be as big of an issue as it is for some. Coming off of a dock for example can leave the need to carry a lot of gear onboard behind. Think about how you use your boat now & the little things that you think it might be nice to have when you're out on the water.

My next concern is speed; I like the new Precision speed control but am concerned on how it would perform with 2000 lbs of water in it and 10 people. Speed control is a BIG issue because of the variety of drivers that operate the boat. I have used Perfect Pass wakeboard pro before and LOVE it.

I've found the new speed control to work well & haven't found a reason to spend the money on Perfect Pass. Remember, if you don't like it or find it wanting, you can always spend the money on PP later. It's not a problem to add after the fact.

My next question is on which engine to get. The minimum we will get is the Monsoon regardless of the boat we choose. I am used to driving my friends 04 X Star with the HUGE 8.1 L GM 8100 in it and like the fact that power is there for you whenever you need it, but that also is a ton of power that I did not have to pay for, unlike my situation. I would like the Hammerhead but is it really worth it over the Monsoon. Also what kind of gas consumption should I expect from the two?

We drove a VLX with the Monsoon before ordering our VLX & found it wanting, particularly under heavy ballast situations. I don't find the Hammerhead wanting at all. Both boats were set up with identical props & ballast configurations so there was no deviation there, the only difference was the motor. Fuel useage & differences between the 2 motors will probably be negligible, mainly because even if the HH isn't working as hard you'll be more tempted to goose it every once in a while (it's just a gas to drive). You'll get different opinions on that, this one is just mine so take it for what it's worth. I will say this, if you don't want to spend the money on it, don't drive the HH because you'll want it. (The 8.1 is not available on the VLX & I don't know that I'd get it even on the LSV. I've heard reports of up to 30% higher fuel useage, & with the way that engine performs in our Chevy Silverado, I'd believe it. It will pass everything except a gas station. :))

My dealer also wasn't sure of the weight of the front ballast tank. If anyone is sure what the individual tanks weight, that would be great. Plus in other makes of boats, especially Mastercraft, my groups of guys has run into issues with the ballast pumps choosing when they would like to work. How do Malibu's work for everyone?

The bow tank is 350 lbs, the mid tank is 500 lbs & the 2 rear tanks are 200 lbs each. No problems with the pumps on either of my boats.

One note, the VLX has a lot more bowrise than the LSV. It's not a huge problem, but a consideration when making your choice between the 2.

Best of luck on your choice & let us know what you decide. :)

Edited by WakeGirl

My only 2 cents is, don't just look at the sticker prices on the boat. I would have liked a bigger boat or a bigger engine, but by the time I added the stereo, the cover, the bimini, pop up cleats, perfect pass, etc. The decision gets a little easier.

I have the VLX with the monsoon, I am not hardcore, but I think it is an exception boat with a ton of versatility. I have had 11 people on my boat a couple of times, a little crowded but definitely doable. But, my motto is always buy the biggest, baddest toy that you can. Then you will have no regrets.

Good Luck and welcome,

Joe

Nick,

Welcome to theMalibuCrew!!

You are in the right place to find the answers you want to these questions. Many people here have been Nautiques and MasterCraft owners before and something or other has brought them to Malibu. I grew up going through many brands - primarily outboards and I/O's but when I got into the market for an inboard, to me, there was no comparison. I wouldn't hestiate to ask any questions you ahve on your mind. We are an opinionated group and you will certainly get responses wether you want them or not :).

As for your questions, when I upgraded from my Sunsetter LX to my Wakesetter VLX, the one thing that kep me from going straight to the WSLSV was that I rarely have a full load of people. Typically its just my wife, a few friends and myself. I would have loved the extra space, but am VERY happy with my decision. Luckily I never tried out the HH engine - had I tried it, I may have gotten one. On that same note though, I'm perfectly happy with the Monsoon right now :)

As for dealer issues, I'd buy at the dealer you are more comfortable with using for your service. You are in a lucky situation in that you could get away with buying from either. If there is a dealer close to your home that you like better, I'd buy from them, but do heed the warning that should you need immediate service from the dealer near the lake, you may not be at the top of their list unless you put your money where your mouth is :)

Good luck with your purchase!

JZ

We are very happy with our 2004 VLX with the Monsoon. With all 3 tanks full, and 3-4 people in the boat, it pulls up my linebacker son (250#) with ease. I am sure a fully loaded boat would be more of a challenge but we just dont have over 6-7 people in our boat - except maybe once a year. One caution on the larger boats if you have a boathouse/lift - check the max width for your lift (and slip) to be sure the boat is not too wide. Also the weight - a lot of boat lifts are rated at 3- 4,000# and you will be over that pretty quickly. Of course you can always replace the cradle and entire lift/hoist system as long as the width of the boathouse is OK.