Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vinyl Repair

old skool malibu

I had a brain fart this weekend while rushing to winterize my boat (with two young kids my time is at a premium!). I left one of the rear compartments open and pulled the boat out of the garage and this is the result. Does anyone know how much I would be looking at to get this repaired? Will they have to remove the whole skin just to replace this one panel or can they just remove the panel and sew and new piece on? Do you know the manufacturer of the vinyl that Malibu uses? I also stripped a screw hole or two where the strut connects to the storage locker. I would like to fill the whole with an epoxy and drill a slightly larger hole to ensure the screw tightens snugly. Will just the epoxy work alone or is there another type of glue filler I should use? Lesson learned - always do a walk around before moving your boat. Especially in or out of a garage!

:cry:

post-4887-095331700 1318362505_thumb.jpg

just call your dealer with your hull ID, year and model, and explain which cushion that is to him...

From there he can look iup or call malibu, get your specific color options and order that exact match skin for you. I'd def buy the skin from Malibu, than go back a forth trying to match from elsewhere.

Then its up to you to go thru the dealer to have him repair it, or go find your own upholstry shop to do it, or try to do it yourself...

Not sure exactly which cushion that is, but likely that skin might cost 100$ or so...

Sat on the water this summer with a pro rider, 2007 Wakesetter 23, 1500hrs on it, and has had several of his seats redone, he talked me thru this entire process. At the time i thought I might have to replace a cushion from a stain, but its since 100% faded away so I am good to go.

But I dont think your damage is going to fade... :(

Edited by nyryan2001

So even though its just a piece of the skin you would recommend replacing the entire back compartment skin? And the dealer should be able to order for me or better yet just have Malibu send a new rear locker (starboard side)?

Edited by old skool malibu

The Hot Rodders know who does the best upholstery work, cheap.

The hotrod meets are over until spring in most places.

But if you can get hooked up with a hotrod club they will direct you to the wizards of upholstery in your town.

I can't offer any advice on the skins but I assume that your locker is made of the same composite/fiberglass material as my 2008. I had a problem with the screw stripping out and had to built a plate to expand the surface area (there are a couple of threads on here about it). It worked OK but was not real solid. On a trip to the Smokies mountains I took the lockers by the Malibu plant because they said there was a new anchor system on the present boats. All the guys did was use what looked like the big plastic sheetrock anchors. I had my doubts but after two seasons with the fix they are solid. Maybe your dealer could get the factory to send you some. That is assuming they still use them.

Good luck.

I can't offer any advice on the skins but I assume that your locker is made of the same composite/fiberglass material as my 2008. I had a problem with the screw stripping out and had to built a plate to expand the surface area (there are a couple of threads on here about it). It worked OK but was not real solid. On a trip to the Smokies mountains I took the lockers by the Malibu plant because they said there was a new anchor system on the present boats. All the guys did was use what looked like the big plastic sheetrock anchors. I had my doubts but after two seasons with the fix they are solid. Maybe your dealer could get the factory to send you some. That is assuming they still use them.

Good luck.

I was debating using something similar. I went to a bigger screw and it is tight in 2 of the 3. No. 3 is not as tight as I would like so I used some filler and will give it a try. Txh for the heads up!

If there is no piping on that piece, it would be one of the easier pieces on the boat to DIY. Just get the skin through your dealer or malibu and let us know when you get it. My 3 year old helped me do most of my seat bottoms, depending on how old they are, put 'em to work!!

Not exactly sure about the location and specifics on your screw stripout issue... when screws start to strip out first thing that comes to mind is to try to replace altogether with a bolt and lock nut. Not sure if thats possible in your situation. Next, yes, slightly bigger screw. Then look into if a reinforcement or a backing plate with a longer screw might work. Then as a last resort before ordering the new panel, I'd work with a JB weld, Epoxy or something along those lines to fill that hole back in and re-screw into the new medium.

So even though its just a piece of the skin you would recommend replacing the entire back compartment skin? And the dealer should be able to order for me or better yet just have Malibu send a new rear locker (starboard side)?

Your boat is new enough that just the skin for that cushion is available thru the dealer. Easy to DIY. Put it on and look at it. If it doesn't match up well, like from the other side being out in the sun and used, then replace the other side too. My bet is you just replace that one skin pictured, DIY, and you'll be in good shape. Bigger screw or fill the hole as others have suggested on the mounting part. Good off-season stuff to work on.