Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

transmission fluid leak

Well as you can tell I have a transmission fluid leak. I was out on the lake a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the boat made a funny sound / feel in the wheel when I turned right but was nice and smooth when I turned left. Well I went back to the dock and noticed that I had a transmission fluid leak. I was bummed. I did not have time to look at is so I went back to the boat the next week with a some transmission fluid as it was time to take to boat out of the water. Filled it up and it seemed to fix the sound / vibration I felt / heard. I searched for the leak around the transmission thinking it may be a seal or something but could not find it.

Well the other day I was able to get in the boat as I need to get my number off the transmission so I could start reading to see if this was something I could do on my own. Well the good news I think is that it looks like the leak is from the hose or fitting on the lower side of the transmission cooler. Again not enough time to really look at it. I hope to have some time this weekend.

My questions are:

1. Should I just try to tighten, or should I take the lines off and use some sort of RTV or something to seal them?

2. Is it likely that the transmission cooler has a leak in it vs. a loose fitting?

3. If I am taking off transmission lines should I be changing them and or getting them tested? I assume that I would need to take them to a special shop. I did not see replacements on Bakes.

4. Anything else I should look at while I am doing this?

Thanks for any help and I am stoked that the transmission is not what is leaking.

• 1 month later...

Just to close the loop, for future readers... I was able to get out to the boat the other weekend:

1. The fittings were on tight.

2. I took the hoses of and, I am no expert on how these hoses seal but one of the ends had some play in it and was leaking from there.

3. Went to a local hydraulic shop and was able to get them made there.

4. I replaced the two of them vs. just the one so I don't have to deal with the mess again in the future.

I had a loose crimp on one of my lines too. I too, replaced the whole line.

I think the CA plant must have had a bad run of these for the 2000 boats. Mine is a 2000.

It was a long time ago that I dealt with this but, IIRC where the rubber hose meets the metal sleeve is the problem. They aren't crimped tight enough. If you can twist the hose inside the metal sleeve, that's your problem/leak.

This is the only pic. I have...

Image050.jpg

What is JIC?

When I brought my hose into the hydro. shop the guy just twisted the fitting and immediately knew what was wrong.

He made a brand new line while I waited.