Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

upgrade

windy1

thinking about something with a bigger wake than my sunsetter can offer and ran into a 2004 wakesetter vlx. we are running the sunsetter with one sack and wedge and was going to add center ballast this winter. the vlx has factory ballast (3sacks) and wedge. my question is how much bigger will the wake be on the vlx. hard to spend 10K more just for a bit bigger wake. also on the down side the owner says the jel coat around the tower has some spider cracks. will I be chasing that problem forever. I am spoiled with my t3. I have not looked at the boat yet but may look soon and a water test will be available. just looking for some feedback first.

Edited by windy1

You won’t notice a huge difference, it’ll be slightly larger i.e. taller with the additional weight in the rear from ballast and the engine placement, whether or not 10k of difference only you can determine that. Both boats spec wise are very close w/ the VLX being about 200lbs heavier. I’ve been behind both boats on many occasions and riders don’t have a problem with tricks behind either of them. What you gain in a VLX is the ability to add more weight that is hidden, smoother ride, more storage, better surf wake and more conversational seating.

Is your Sunsetter a VLX or just a direct drive? If it is a VLX, I doubt you'll see much of a difference in the wake. If it is a direct drive, assuming simlar condition of both boats, you are going to be hard pressed to only be a 10k difference unless that Wakesetter is going for a steal.

I know I was a bit optamistic if I valued my direct drive sunsetter at 20K. the wakesetter is around 30K. When I bought my boat 2 years ago I did not realize how much wakeboarding we would be doing or that I would already want a bigger wake than the wedge and one sack can make. I really just need to decide if I am going to get a better ballest system for my current boat that will always be in the way or move to a V whare I can hide it all for more money.

any feedback on the spider cracks around the illusion tower.

I know I was a bit optamistic if I valued my direct drive sunsetter at 20K. the wakesetter is around 30K. When I bought my boat 2 years ago I did not realize how much wakeboarding we would be doing or that I would already want a bigger wake than the wedge and one sack can make. I really just need to decide if I am going to get a better ballest system for my current boat that will always be in the way or move to a V whare I can hide it all for more money.

any feedback on the spider cracks around the illusion tower.

I know for fact that you can buy a super clean 04 VLX for around 30k. We bought ours last fall for 31K with 98 hours on it. I guess the way I look at is, I would rather have a boat that hasn't had any gel coat issues. I'm sure the cracks can be fixed but it will obviously add cost to your purchase.

In terms of wakeboard wake performance, you're not going to see much difference, especially if you weight the boats equally. In terms of interior space and usability with that additional weight, the VLX will be more user friendly, as the ballast is hidden and out of the wake. That is even more true if you start getting into surfing; you will eat up a lot of interior space with ballast for surfing.