Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Electric powered EPIC 232 Sport boat

Vettesetter

Nautique has demo'd an Electric boat.

I work with companies here in Illinois that do gas/electric conversionsfor all types of boats and a motor manufacturer that builds the electric motors for them.

The only thing they lack from being able to completely compete with Gas powered is the battery/charge store capability.

As they improve, look for them to become more and more prevelant.

It is a cool thing to see someone kickin up a wake or layn down a slalom run without the traditional noise.

I think it's incredible engineering but man I'd hate to have to pony up when it's time for new batteries in 5 years or so (20k-30K?). Knowing that about the boat would make it depreciate really fast. All of the sudden the batteries become part of the depreciation and for good reason.

Perhaps someone can explain to me why you cannot have a gas powered electric motor? I know that sounds stupid, but if you could get a small/efficient enough engine to generate enough juice to run the electric motor, it seems you could have a good hybrid option. Especially if you can ditch the majority of the battery packs and use small pack/cap to handle rush current for startup. I haven't done the math - I'm sure there is a reason nobody has done this.

I am usually pretty open minded to other brands of boats, as I am likely the most non-elitest Malibu owner there is, but its a toss up for the ugliest boat between the Epic and that Tomcat boat.

I am usually pretty open minded to other brands of boats, as I am likely the most non-elitest Malibu owner there is, but its a toss up for the ugliest boat between the Epic and that Tomcat boat.

I personally think Epic wins that award..

Just me thinking, this boat will never be more than an experiment.

$150,000 boat that can pull a wakeboarder for one hour.

and yet still burns 1/2 the gas of a typical boat on a four hour trip ??

Did this company get a loan from the Energy Department?

from the website

http://www.evepic.com/water/23h/

Over 50% reduced total carbon dioxide emissions

Nearly 90% reduced carbon monoxide emissions at wakesurfing rope lengths

Virtually no risk of CO poisoning Ultra-quiet motor/generator

Burns 50% less fuel than a typical wakeboard boat on a 4 hour wakeboard outing

Wakeboard 1 hr with only batteries

Wakesurf for 3 hrs with only batteries

Oddly enough, there were a bunch of people on Wakeworld defending this boat and all of its VERY SIGNIFICANT shortcomings (price, being ugly, an I/O, price again, battery maintenance costs, battery life, did I mention price because the thing is f'ing $150,000!!!!!).