Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Side panels are off, what should I do?

Michigan boarder

In preparation for the new stereo I took the side panels off. I'll have to cut holes, surround the backs with an enclosure, etc. All easier with the panels off and in my basement now that fall is here. The question is, while I have them off, are there some changes that I should make, now that everything is easier to install and I don't have to worry about damaging the vinyl? A couple come to mind:

--Change interior lights to LED

--Add LED to speaker grilles. Anyone done that? I've seen them on Ebay, never really looked seriously at it.

--Add two pop-up cleats to stern (I have no cleats currently)

--Replace speedo tubes?

--Run new wiring for stereo

post-8942-046942600 1318348378_thumb.jpg

post-8942-099404000 1318348397_thumb.jpg

post-8942-004349400 1318348410_thumb.jpg

Was just thinking about taking my side panels off to replace the storage netting which is torn all to shreds. Doesn't look too difficult to remove the panels. Anything I need to watch out for?

Yeah, do it all now.

Do try and keep all the wiring in the factory wire guide tubes, though. Easiest way to do that is to connect the new wires to the ends of the old wires before you pull them out. Remember that the passenger front speaker wire actually travels around the back of the boat from the head unit. To make it an easier pull, find the nearest break in the guide tube and start there. When you stop your pull wherever there is a break in the factory wire guide tubing, you can cut the excess wire off. Breaks in my boat are: one halfway up the side panel by the light (IIRC) and each rear corner.

Are all those holes mounting locations for the side panels?

Yeah, do it all now.

Do try and keep all the wiring in the factory wire guide tubes, though. Easiest way to do that is to connect the new wires to the ends of the old wires before you pull them out. Remember that the passenger front speaker wire actually travels around the back of the boat from the head unit. To make it an easier pull, find the nearest break in the guide tube and start there. When you stop your pull wherever there is a break in the factory wire guide tubing, you can cut the excess wire off. Breaks in my boat are: one halfway up the side panel by the light (IIRC) and each rear corner.

Are all those holes mounting locations for the side panels?

That's a good idea on the wiring, thanks for the tip.

Yes, all those holes are for mounting the side panels. Twice as many as necessary, but I guess it's better to have it all too tight than not enough. And the two 6" holes by the spotter seat were already there too, no idea what those were for.

Edited by Michigan boarder

Was just thinking about taking my side panels off to replace the storage netting which is torn all to shreds. Doesn't look too difficult to remove the panels. Anything I need to watch out for?

It's incredibly easy, maybe took me 10 minutes each side. But watch out for stray strands of fiberglass when you are reaching your hand up under there...reach slowly. I was fast at it, and took a chunk out of a finger. Bandaged it up real quick. Went back to removing the hardware. It started hurting even more. Took the bandaid off and had to pull out a 1/4" long piece of fiberglass from my finger.

the two 6" holes by the spotter seat were already there too, no idea what those were for.

Access for the guys to mount the windshield??

Edited by Pistol Pete