Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

bilge heater

I just bought the mid-sized Xtreme heater for my 23LSV. I am planning on riding until I can't stand the cold water anymore. I have completed all of the quick disconnects and bought the 1" deep socket to pull the knock sensors to drain the block. I'm sure the heater will keep the boat warm enough until I fully winterize the boat. The boat is in covered storage (not enclosed) that has full electricity hookup. So, I have the battery charger hooked up and the heater in the rear storage locker pointed at the motor/tranny/v-drive. Airjunky does the same thing and he says he's never had a problem.

+1 on the Xtreme Heater. Never winterized last year with 70 degree days occasionally landing in mid December here in North Texas. My 300W Xtreme worked like a champ even with the coldest winter on record and some sustained 15 degree days. Only thing to keep in mind is the power source, if your heater loses power, you're toast. Thankfully we were spared during the rolling black outs last year. This year I plan to have a generator on hand, just in case.

I have the Boatsafe Jr 250 watt heater in my Vride. I put a thermometer in the engine compartment to record temps. The boat has seen temps below 0 every winter, but the engine compartment has only been down to 38 degrees.

I also drain everything after each day on the lake..... heater, shower, exhaust, knock sensor & then bump start it once.

Yea, I'm gonna have to buy one of the digital thermometers that will give you a "lowest temp" reading. I'm pretty sure my 450 watt heater will keep everything nice and toasty.

I have used one for the last two seasons with no issues in my 23LSV, just note that it rarely gets below 25DEG here and usually does not stay below freezing for longer than 24 hours. My boat is stored over water on a Hydro-hoist.

If you have a heater under the dash and bow and midship ballast tanks don't forget to winterize those because the bilge heater will not provide enough heat that far away.

-Dave

What size socket does the knock sensor take? I need to pick up a long socket if that is the easiest way to remove. thanks.

I just bought the mid-sized Xtreme heater for my 23LSV. I am planning on riding until I can't stand the cold water anymore. I have completed all of the quick disconnects and bought the 1" deep socket to pull the knock sensors to drain the block. I'm sure the heater will keep the boat warm enough until I fully winterize the boat. The boat is in covered storage (not enclosed) that has full electricity hookup. So, I have the battery charger hooked up and the heater in the rear storage locker pointed at the motor/tranny/v-drive. Airjunky does the same thing and he says he's never had a problem.

What thermometer do you use?

Very similar to this one

41q2U4MMfFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Note that I am still draining everything. I put the knock sensor on only hand tight. And I have Prestone radiator flush Ts in the heater lines. So everything comes off by hand. I do use a crescent wrench to pull the hull drain plug. Plus I have the Globe run-dry impeller so I can bump start the engine to blow everything out. I can do the whole process at the boat ramp in just a few minutes. So the heater is not the sole reason things won't freeze. It's just extra insurance in case any water is still in there.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
So the heater is not the sole reason things won't freeze. It's just extra insurance in case any water is still in there.

Yup, I'm gonna drain it all AND use the heater. Can't be too careful, plus it keeps the fluids warm in the motor/tranny/v-drive just in case the weather warms up and I can make a quick trip out onto the water. :thumbup:

Anyone have any experience with using one of these bilge heaters in their boat on a lift all winter without draining the water out of the systems. Will the heater keep everything from freezing or do you still have to drain everything even with the heater

Anyone have any experience with using one of these bilge heaters in their boat on a lift all winter without draining the water out of the systems. Will the heater keep everything from freezing or do you still have to drain everything even with the heater

How cold does it get where you are?

How often does the power go out?

How much is your boat worth to you?

It doesn't take long to drain the system. Doing it also gets the water and any gunk out of the system and the lines, and makes it to where the drain plugs in the block don't become permanent.

Seems like not much work for the benefits.

So is your heater in the bilge? Most are not. If not, then any heat in the bilge won't make it to the heater core..... which always seems to be the first thing to blow when it gets cold.

I do it like that in Dallas. 200W heater magnet.

You can look up the historical temps if you want a reference point. I wouldn't recommend it to others, but I'm lazy and run my boat year round.

Be aware that the heater magnet is not really designed for this purpose. It's typically used to keep the oil viscosity thin so the oil will flow quicker & easier on a cold morning (a problem in the north). But it won't keep water from freezing throughout and engine block (like on the far side from where it's mounted). And it certainly won't help in other areas, like the shower or heater core.