Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Leaky tarp

Hey Crew,

Has anyone applied a waterproofing product to a factory malibu tarp to help keep water out? Not sure if its even possible but might as well ask.

Thanks

A couple of upholstery shops in the Seattle area (where it rains once in a while) have suggested a product called Aqua-tite. The stuff is unreal & will waterproof a paper towel.

I've personally used it to waterproof an old MC cover with these exact results.

Bill,

Did you have to apply the aqua tite to the cover OFF of the Boat ?

Some of these water repellants will adversely affect paint.

I know the stuff you use to rewaterproof automobile convertible tops warns against getting any of that stuff on the paint.

I would recc. off the boat but, it's really hard to evenly coat the canvas due to all the compound angles.

Next best idea is a big roll of saran wrap and wrap the hull of the boat, all the way around, a few feet below the lower edge of the cover.

Bill,

Did you have to apply the aqua tite to the cover OFF of the Boat ?

Some of these water repellants will adversely affect paint.

I know the stuff you use to rewaterproof automobile convertible tops warns against getting any of that stuff on the paint.

The video does say to apply with the cover off the boat and let dry. I would not apply to the cover on the boat. Only to be used on a cover after 5 years. Why not use http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/66/303-high-tech-fabric-guard.cfm

This stuff works great

FWIW

Yea, I did it off the boat, after I scrubbed all the funk off the cover first. We got a lot of funk growin on the boat cover in the rain forest.

303 does good too, but I wouldn't spray that on the boat either. And it's the kind of thing you have to reapply all the time. One application of Aqua-tite will last a year or two in this climate.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I have used the Aqua-Tite, on two different boats, including my BU last week, the stuff works great. First time I used a sprayer, over spray, what a mess. This time I used a 6" trim roller, this seemed to work the best for me. I did it with the canvas on the boat, there was some that soaked through, I like Pistol Pete's idea of saran wrap, it will save you a lot of post clean up time. Wish this question was asked last week. I got mine from a canvas shop in Indy. :thumbup:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Waterproof-Spray-Gallon/dp/B0000AY4RE/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

Used one of those 1-gallon pump up sprayers. Laid the cover in the driveway, and used almost a full gallon on it. Has held up all summer and seems to work really well. OUTDOOR USE ONLY - this is some strong stuff; make sure your windows are closed. I used a 1 gallon hand-pump sprayer to dispense the product.

• 3 months later...

80 lb washer, cold water. I use regular Tide and then when it's done I run it again. Been doing this to covers since I was a kid. Some people use no soap, others use Woolite.

Might scrub the real dirty spots with a soft brush first and mild detergent.

80 lb washer, cold water. I use regular Tide and then when it's done I run it again. Been doing this to covers since I was a kid. Some people use no soap, others use Woolite.

Might scrub the real dirty spots with a soft brush first and mild detergent.

:plus1:

Good Thread

Bill,

After you put this super shield on, does the cover still breathe?

It seems like it wouldn't. :dontknow:

Sorry, I'm just now seeing this.

I think your on to something here, Pete. It's the old cliche about "too much of a good thing". If you load the AquaTite on really thick, I think the cover won't breathe as well. But you want it to be waterproof so how much?

My own cover hasn't needed a coat in 4 yrs now. Of course I live in the desert now whereas I was in the rain forest. So I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I think I would do a light coat or two, see how well it repels when it dries. Then reapply as needed.