Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake Surf Boards

srud

Right now my favorite is the modified Broadcast.

I think my trickboardz is too small for me cuz I almost hafta hang my toes off the edge to get close enuff and stay on edge.

Edited by Brad B
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chathamsolutions

• Brad B

• SacRiverRat

• stewart

So out of the new Broadcasts, which would you guys recommend for an all-around boat board? That new Landlock is just too big, it looks like it would be easy to get up & stay up on, but I'm not sure that you can do anything with it once you're there. Plus the Broadcast will fit in a wakeboard rack.

So out of the new Broadcasts, which would you guys recommend for an all-around boat board?  That new Landlock is just too big, it looks like it would be easy to get up & stay up on, but I'm not sure that you can do anything with it once you're there.  Plus the Broadcast will fit in a wakeboard rack.

The 5'6". The 4'9" is just a little small for most people.

So out of the new Broadcasts, which would you guys recommend for an all-around boat board?  That new Landlock is just too big, it looks like it would be easy to get up & stay up on, but I'm not sure that you can do anything with it once you're there.  Plus the Broadcast will fit in a wakeboard rack.

I am 5'10" and 215lbs. Would the 5'6" broadcast work well for me as a 'learning board'?

I am 5'10" and 215lbs.  Would the 5'6" broadcast work well for me as a 'learning board'?

I'm 6'2", 230lbs and it works for me. We did start off on a Landlock, but most people in my boat preferred the 5'6" Broadcast.

I also have an Inland Surfer Green Room, (For Sale :)) which is an excellent beginner board.

how much do you want for the board - I want to give it a try this year, and my daughters really want to get into it.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, the 4'8" is a little hard for most people the first season. I could get up on it the first season and was going ropeless, but was pretty much the only one in our clan. And I couldn't hold it for long. Would have been easier to learn on the 5'6" the first season and then go to the shorter more manuverable board.

After that first season of learing though, I love the Broadcast.

The last two weeks my 5 year old and I have been working on this:

It's awesome, and yes, when we dropped the rope the fans went wild!

It was such a booster for him. He would hardly tube last year, now he's surfing with dad. Can't wait until he asks to wakeboard on his own. Hopefully this year!

post-9-1116950538_thumb.jpg

Edited by chathamsolutions

Oh ya, and no 'lack O tan' jokes. :)

These last two weeks were the first time we've gotten in the water without dry suits or shorties. And wearing a suit and tie 6 days a week doesn't help much either.

how much do you want for the green room board - I want to give it a try this year, and my daughters really want to get into it.

Are you going to McClure for Memorial Day? I could bring it with me then.

Andy - awesome picture.

Soooo, not even a farmer's tan? :) We at least get those here in MN. I'm sportin a nice one after working in the yard yesterday afternoon.

So out of the new Broadcasts, which would you guys recommend for an all-around boat board? That new Landlock is just too big, it looks like it would be easy to get up & stay up on, but I'm not sure that you can do anything with it once you're there. Plus the Broadcast will fit in a wakeboard rack.

I agree, the 4'8" is a little hard for most people the first season. I could get up on it the first season and was going ropeless, but was pretty much the only one in our clan. And I couldn't hold it for long. Would have been easier to learn on the 5'6" the first season and then go to the shorter more manuverable board.

After that first season of learing though, I love the Broadcast.

The last two weeks my 5 year old and I have been working on this:

It's awesome, and yes, when we dropped the rope the fans went wild!

It was such a booster for him. He would hardly tube last year, now he's surfing with dad. Can't wait until he asks to wakeboard on his own. Hopefully this year!

That's awesome Andy! We just got our 8 year old that is Autistic to try the tube on Sunday, & he went twice (you guys have no idea what a huge step this is). We're still thrilled over that one. Yahoo.gif

Unfortunately I've blown my budget on the Sky Ski so the board will have to wait.

Congrats Tracie. It's hard to get them to take those little steps and try something out of their comfort zone.

Well worth it though.

I tried to do tandem with my daughter (she's a bit bigger than your son Troy) and we couldn't get pulled up.

This is how we start. My heels positioned on the board where I want to stand. My boy's feet inbetween mine. His arms out straight in the center of the handle and mine on the very outside of the handle.

As soon as we feel tension I dig my heels in, the board flips up to my feet and pull myself up. Becuase he's inbetween my legs he came right up too.

I admit, it's easier with my 5 year old vs. my 9 year old. My 9 year old is big for her age, and heavier. It was harder to start, but we did it. Talk her through it.

You can always try sitting on a tube together to get started.

Here's a picture of us starting, have seen many others try different ways to get up. I'm convinced this is the easiest for beginners vs. trying to put the board partially underneath you.

And another picture where my boy is smiling :)

post-9-1116994973_thumb.jpg

post-9-1116995061_thumb.jpg

OK, maybe not smiling, but not a grimace :) He really did have a good time. This was two weeks ago. This last weekend we really got it down. He was really excited.

Cool pics!!!

Andy, I'll assume getting up wakeboard style is easier than surf style (belly first)??

I have a buddy that is a real good ocean surfer and he's been riding an ocean shortie behind our boat, it's cool, but I'm getting ready to ban it due to (A) wax and (B) size and bulk. I'm not gonna drop 3 hund for another specialty rack for "his" board. I'm thinking of getting a board (Never surfed). There's no way I could ride a <5' (Gravity kills me) Do you think a good surfer (my buddy) would be disappointed with a 5'6" HL? (HL should fit in my Lowrider racks, right?)

P

Edited by Faceplant409
Cool pics!!!

Andy, I'll assume getting up wakeboard style is easier than surf style (belly first)??

I have a buddy that is a real good ocean surfer and he's been riding an ocean shortie behind our boat, it's cool, but I'm getting ready to ban it due to (A) wax and (B) size and bulk. I'm not gonna drop 3 hund for another specialty rack for "his" board. I'm thinking of getting a board (Never surfed). There's no way I could ride a <5' (Gravity kills me)  Do you think a good surfer (my buddy) would be disappointed with a 5'6" HL? (HL should fit in my Lowrider racks, right?)

P

Yes, we get up wakeboard, or really wakeskate style. Not belly first.

We had a real surfboard on the boat the other day and I was having so much fun on the Broadcast I didn't even try it. But yes, wax is nasty and the size is a bummer. I'd go for the HL Landlock - it'd be a good fit for you, and I think your friend as well. Unless he's really good at surfing and goes with you all the time. Then he may want a shorter board.

I do not think the Landlock (5'6") will fit in the lowriders :( I'll try again on Monday, but I don't think so. The Broadcast (4'8") does.

Here's what I tried today. Everyone, including the CFO thought I was nuts. But he wanted to come out in the water and I wanted to try it. Even though he doesn't look very happy, this is a picture of him waving. Definately a sign that he's having a good time.

He's 19 months. Can't start too early - right?

It was AWESOME!!!!!

Here's what I tried today.  Everyone, including the CFO thought I was nuts.  But he wanted to come out in the water and I wanted to try it.  Even though he doesn't look very happy, this is a picture of him waving.  Definately a sign that he's having a good time. 

He's 19 months.  Can't start too early - right? 

Wow! That is great. I'm going to have to tell some friends about your 19 mo old. The wives will probably not be too happy though to hear it.

Wow!  That is great.  I'm going to have to tell some friends about your 19 mo old.  The wives will probably not be too happy though to hear it.

Ya, I had second thoughts at first. But once we were in and committed, well... It turned out well.

Once we were up I was worried about how I was going to get him off the board, without making it such a trammatic experience he'd be scared from water sports for life. My younger brother, 22, was sitting in the boat taking the pictures. I told him to drop the camera and I rode up to the platform, handed the baby to him. Once the baby was safe I bailed off the back.

Crazy, maybe. But it was cool and I bet my boy is going to want to go again tomorrow Biggrin.gif

Will have to get him used to the falls on a later date.

Patrick,

Just FYI, the new Landlock this year doesn't come in the 5'6" size, it's a 6'1 now plus the thing is so thick that it won't fit in a standard wakeboard rack. If you want the smaller 5'6", you'll have to go to a Broadcast which will fit in a wakeboard rack.

My weight distribution:

Full MLS, minus the port locker

Wedge

Two - 440lb SL Launch Pad fat sacs - both are in the starbord locker

- yes, that's what you see in the pic. I actually have the locker open, so the sac fits on top of the other one, just inside of the air shock that holds up the locker/pad door. That's why you see it sticking over the edge of the transom. Made the mistake of putting the sac on top of it, and both were bent by the end of the day :(