Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for a replacement rub rail on a 1990 Malibu skier

Hello everybody first post on this forum, I've been searching up and down all over for just a simple answer, i've read lots of possible options but just want a simple answer I need a replacement rub rail for a 1990 malibu skier. Does anybody know where to order a rub rail from that will fit this boat?

Hello everybody first post on this forum, I've been searching up and down all over for just a simple answer, i've read lots of possible options but just want a simple answer I need a replacement rub rail for a 1990 malibu skier. Does anybody know where to order a rub rail from that will fit this boat?

i have the same boat with the same problem. let me know what you end up doing

I had my rub rail repalced on my 90 skier a few years ago...Let me check.

When I replaced the rub rail I was not able to find an exact match. I used a kit by Taco Metals that was the same dimentions and came with a dvd for install. I purchased it at Discount Inborard Marine.

When I replaced the rub rail I was not able to find an exact match. I used a kit by Taco Metals that was the same dimentions and came with a dvd for install. I purchased it at Discount Inborard Marine.

Very nice did it turn out ok?

do you remember the style of kit you used by chance that would help a great bit

The kit # V11-0809 was very close to the original dimentions. As in the dvd it is critical to get it warm and strech it on the boat. I am happy with the results but would consider a larger size for more protection. In looking at other boats the Skier rub rail is much smaller.

Another set of hands is a must . Good Luck !

The kit # V11-0809 was very close to the original dimentions. As in the dvd it is critical to get it warm and strech it on the boat. I am happy with the results but would consider a larger size for more protection. In looking at other boats the Skier rub rail is much smaller.

Another set of hands is a must . Good Luck !

Thanks i ordered that kit today

It was a nightmare getting my replacement from Malibu. It took over a year before I finally got a base that matched the insert they kept sending. Even the one I did install doesn't match perfectly, but it seems to have locked good enough.

I suggest to use a heat gun to make the rear corner and nose bends. Practice on some of the old pieces so you get the feel of it. Use a cool wet rag to help lock the hot section into shape. It doesn't take much. I bought mine at Harbor Freight Tools for about $35. Well worth it.

Also, have an extra friend or two with you to help hold the extra base while you drill and rivet it into place. I was able to do it in one piece all the way around.

Do you know what the "actual" dimensions of the stock rub rail are? i am looking at this one it is 1/5/8" tall and 5/8" wide in comparison to the one you ordered is 1-1/16" tall and 11/16'' wide. so that leaves a minimal difference. do you think ordering the kit from rub rails direct will fit properly? it is a rigid base with stainless steal insert vs the all vinyl kit you ordered. when i bought my skier the rub rail was already removed. does the factory rail have a stainless steel strip or is it all vinyl? thanks for any help

http://store.barbourcorp.com/rubrailflexiblerub-rail02002black-2-4-3.aspx

vs. the one you ordered below

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6824#

Edited by Baileyak228

Every time I see an old skier I am surprised how different some of the parts are. I think the only rule is that it fits well and you like the style. The stainless steel may be harder to bend ?

• 2 years later...