Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do you use your VSR??

jkendallmsce

jkendallmsce

Need some feedback.

Boat is scheduled to go to the local dealer for some warranty work. One issue is the starting battery completely discharging. The boat is only used on the weekends and about mid summer, went to start it up and the starting battery was completely dead. Prior to that weekend, both battery(s) were fine. To that point in time I had not been turning the VSR to the off position. In addition there is a problem with the heater...all of a sudden the heater runs all the time...so I removed the fuse, as I don't need the heater running when its 90 degrees. Not sure if the 2 are related.

In talking to the dealer, I was told that you should turn the VSR to off all the time, and that there are enough power sources to drain/discharge a battery within a week. I find that very hard to believe, and it is more likely something else.

I use have the infamous JBl black box, hooked to jl audio 900/5 and 600/4 amps. but power is off to those amps when not in use. ANd I have Maliview

Is anyone else having a similiar battery problems, and how long do you go between outings on the boat w/o having the starting battery discharging. And both batteries are brand new as of this spring.

Need some feedback.

Boat is scheduled to go to the local dealer for some warranty work. One issue is the starting battery completely discharging. The boat is only used on the weekends and about mid summer, went to start it up and the starting battery was completely dead. Prior to that weekend, both battery(s) were fine. To that point in time I had not been turning the VSR to the off position. In addition there is a problem with the heater...all of a sudden the heater runs all the time...so I removed the fuse, as I don't need the heater running when its 90 degrees. Not sure if the 2 are related.

In talking to the dealer, I was told that you should turn the VSR to off all the time, and that there are enough power sources to drain/discharge a battery within a week. I find that very hard to believe, and it is more likely something else.

I use have the infamous JBl black box, hooked to jl audio 900/5 and 600/4 amps. but power is off to those amps when not in use. ANd I have Maliview

Is anyone else having a similiar battery problems, and how long do you go between outings on the boat w/o having the starting battery discharging. And both batteries are brand new as of this spring.

LOL, says the guy who launches unhooked because his boat starts "100% of the time" :Tease3:

Yes, I turn the switch to off every time. It's part of our "getting out of the water" protocol, along with pulling the plug.

jkendallmsce

LOL, says the guy who launches unhooked because his boat starts "100% of the time" :Tease3:

Yes, I turn the switch to off every time. It's part of our "getting out of the water" protocol, along with pulling the plug.

Depends on which boat I am referring to. This boat is on a lift at the lake house, so I don't have to trailer it. The other is not having a problem and does start every time...cause I leave a trickle charger on it. And yes I launch unhooked, but do strap the stern down

Don't you think draining a battery in a week, when everything is supposed to be off, that there is something going on? What could draw down a battery in less than a week?

Depends on which boat I am referring to. This boat is on a lift at the lake house, so I don't have to trailer it. The other is not having a problem and does start every time...cause I leave a trickle charger on it. And yes I launch unhooked, but do strap the stern down

Don't you think draining a battery in a week, when everything is supposed to be off, that there is something going on? What could draw down a battery in less than a week?

turn the switch to off and you don't have to worry about it....

A vsr is not a switch. Turn the battery switch off when not in use these boats will drain the batteries due to all the computer electronics.

Yep that's what I ment

Ft

martinarcher

Dang - that would suck to have your battery drain that fast. My battery isolator switch is on all the time and my boat can go weeks sitting and fire right up.

I wouldn't accept "computers use enough power to drain the batteries in a week". There's a bigger issue and you need to find what's pulling current when the boat is off. Your cars/trucks use an ECM just like your boat and you can leave it sit for a week and it still starts right?

Trust me if your boat battery can't sustain the system clock and NVRAM in the ECM and Maliview you have a big problem. LOL.gif

POSSIBILITY.... Assuming it is a typical 2 batt. system w a cranking batt & a house batt w an on - off - combined batt switch, & VSR..

The VSR has a sense wire that should be connected to the - (black ground) side of the cranking or starting batt. ALSO this batt. should ONLY have the priority boat + & - cables connected to it. NO SOUND SYSTEM CABLES, or accessory wiring of any sort on the cranking battery, the house batt. is for ALL of that.

If the VSR sense wire connection is wrong, and or the improper install or connection of the batts. will most certainly cause battery, charging, and distribution or supply voltage issues.

Just 1 possibility but a VERY COMMON one. I seen many boats w this issue originating from the dealership where the batteries are installed. Some dealerships don't .cross train sales staff, or summer help, or ?? with the service dept on simple but important rigging proceedures.

It used to be easy to install a battery, back when a "tournament boat" was $12,000.00 loaded, with HUGE 265hp!

Of course it could be 1001 other issues, this won't be the first time I have laughed at for pointing this one out.

Correction to my last response...

This won't be the 1 time I HAVE BEEN LAUGHED AT or told to get back in that WALLY BOAT, for such a lame observation

Dang - that would suck to have your battery drain that fast. My battery isolator switch is on all the time and my boat can go weeks sitting and fire right up.

I wouldn't accept "computers use enough power to drain the batteries in a week". There's a bigger issue and you need to find what's pulling current when the boat is off. Your cars/trucks use an ECM just like your boat and you can leave it sit for a week and it still starts right?

Trust me if your boat battery can't sustain the system clock and NVRAM in the ECM and Maliview you have a big problem. LOL.gif

my thoughts EXACTLY!!

Like I said it was fine 1/2 of this summer, then one weekend the heater would run whenever the key was on or on aux. SO I pulled the fuse to the heater motor...but have been turning the VSR to off as I don't have the time or the patience to screw with it. Besides, it is going into the dealer for some warranty items, this being one of them.

Edited by jkendallmsce

A vsr is not a switch. Turn the battery switch off when not in use these boats will drain the batteries due to all the computer electronics.

NOt sure what you are saying. As far as I understand, the VSR is a switch to that allows you to turn off the power to ALL power sources within the boat.

NOt sure about the bilge pump, as I would think you'd want power to that all the time...say you turned the VSR off while you had the boat in the water overnightt...say house boat trip. That could be a bad thing when ya wake up!!

And there are not that many computer electronics are there??? The maliview, the ECM and possibly the JBL black box?? Am I missing any? If not they cant draw that much power?? And when off, does Malibview go into sleep mode, or hibernate??

POSSIBILITY.... Assuming it is a typical 2 batt. system w a cranking batt & a house batt w an on - off - combined batt switch, & VSR..

The VSR has a sense wire that should be connected to the - (black ground) side of the cranking or starting batt. ALSO this batt. should ONLY have the priority boat + & - cables connected to it. NO SOUND SYSTEM CABLES, or accessory wiring of any sort on the cranking battery, the house batt. is for ALL of that.

If the VSR sense wire connection is wrong, and or the improper install or connection of the batts. will most certainly cause battery, charging, and distribution or supply voltage issues.

Just 1 possibility but a VERY COMMON one. I seen many boats w this issue originating from the dealership where the batteries are installed. Some dealerships don't .cross train sales staff, or summer help, or ?? with the service dept on simple but important rigging proceedures.

It used to be easy to install a battery, back when a "tournament boat" was $12,000.00 loaded, with HUGE 265hp!

Of course it could be 1001 other issues, this won't be the first time I have laughed at for pointing this one out.

YOU BETCHA. I could leave my 90 skier off for a month even 2, and it would start right up. No Maliview, no ECM, but that was when a new boat was 15k!!

NOt sure what you are saying. As far as I understand, the VSR is a switch to that allows you to turn off the power to ALL power sources within the boat.

NOt sure about the bilge pump, as I would think you'd want power to that all the time...say you turned the VSR off while you had the boat in the water overnightt...say house boat trip. That could be a bad thing when ya wake up!!

And there are not that many computer electronics are there??? The maliview, the ECM and possibly the JBL black box?? Am I missing any? If not they cant draw that much power?? And when off, does Malibview go into sleep mode, or hibernate??

A VSR is a voltage sensing relay, ACR is an automatic combining relay. They will connect/separate battery banks at specified voltages. These cannot be switched on or off unless you rig a switch to the ground for some reason. These are external devices that are different than your battery switch that is selectable On/Off/All. A perko is a type of battery switch.

A VSR is a voltage sensing relay, ACR is an automatic combining relay. They will connect/separate battery banks at specified voltages. These cannot be switched on or off unless you rig a switch to the ground for some reason. These are external devices that are different than your battery switch that is selectable On/Off/All. A perko is a type of battery switch.

Are we talking about 2 different things?

I am referringto the switch adjacent to the 2 batteries. Where you can switch off, the starting battery or the house battery...although the switch om my boat is different that wht is shown in the manual.???

I am referringto the switch adjacent to the 2 batteries. Where you can switch off, the starting battery or the house battery...although the switch om my boat is different that wht is shown in the manual.???

do you have another little black box mounted near your switch that after the boat has been running a while will light up?

do you have another little black box mounted near your switch that after the boat has been running a while will light up?

The jbl HU is located next to the batteries too. and the jbl does not light up...does yours??

I think you are talking about two different things. You are talking about a battery switch and calling it a vsr.

The jbl HU is located next to the batteries too. and the jbl does not light up...does yours??

no

I don't want to use the wrong acronym but there should be a small black box mounted near switch that controls when the juice from alternator starts to recharge battery 2. The concept is that people would want all the juice topping off a strater battery before any others. That is an independent system from the battery selector switch which is just selecting from which battery the boat is operating from (none, 1, 2, or both). On systems with the ACR, you normally want that switch on one, the starting battery.

As to your original problem, have you tested the cranking battery? How old is it? did you then select combine batteries to start the boat the day it was dead?

no

I don't want to use the wrong acronym but there should be a small black box mounted near switch that controls when the juice from alternator starts to recharge battery 2. The concept is that people would want all the juice topping off a strater battery before any others. That is an independent system from the battery selector switch which is just selecting from which battery the boat is operating from (none, 1, 2, or both). On systems with the ACR, you normally want that switch on one, the starting battery.

As to your original problem, have you tested the cranking battery? How old is it? did you then select combine batteries to start the boat the day it was dead?

Not really sure, as to the voltage shutoff switch, which is what Malibu called the VSR (I will have to get the manual out to verify that) is different than what is shown in the 2010 manual. I thought the dial that isolates the starting battery vs the house battery and also allows me to shut off all power to the boats electronics was called the VSR?? The manual is at the lake house, so I can't verify that....so now I am really confused?? I saw somewhere on this site where all the manuals were located, but can't find it now...so any help would be appreciated.

All I know is I have 2 new batteries as of this spring, the heater motor was running all the time, until I removed the fuse....and the starting battery was dead 2 weekends running. The first week I thought, ok I left something on...my mistake....but then the second weekend I had the same problem. SO I left the fuse out of the heater slot (so the heater motor would not run) and turned the battery switch to off.....cause I knew the boat ws going into the dealer for some warranty work at the end of the season and I did not want to waste my time diagnosing what is goin on.

I could pull the battery and do a load test on it, and put a meter on the battery and see how much juice it is being drawn down by....but I figure why do that when the dealer will do all that for me.

Edited by jkendallmsce