Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best newer boat for skiing-is there a downside to tower?

amehr

I have a 00 Response. i wnat to upgrade to a newer boat. I only ski through a slalom clourse, but occasionally hav a passenger that wakesboards. is ther a down side to getting a tower? Added weight affect the skiing? I am not a high end skier-do not do tournaments.

What about the Lx vs the Lxi??

For your use there is no downside beyond the initial cost. The Response LX is your boat with a hole in the deck. The 2011 Response LXi or the new 2012 Response TXi are phenomenal course boats like yours, but offer more room, more amenities, better ride, etc. On a '11 or '12 you can get a G3 tower, the XTP xtreme, Samson Blade or the Series 1/2 from StarOneWake. On a Response LX the Series 1/2 from StarOne or the Samson Blade are the options.

Here are some pics -

2011 Response LXi with a G3 Tower :

2012 Response TXi :

Response LX with a Samson Blade Tower :

2012 Response :

Here's a 2011 I have for sale :

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2011-Malibu-Response-Lxi-98887398

Hope that helps -

Peter

Edited by SmoothWaterMan
jkendallmsce

I have a 00 Response. i wnat to upgrade to a newer boat. I only ski through a slalom clourse, but occasionally hav a passenger that wakesboards. is ther a down side to getting a tower? Added weight affect the skiing? I am not a high end skier-do not do tournaments.

What about the Lx vs the Lxi??

The LX is the same as the Response, as long as both are the same year. The lxi is bigger, both wider and longer. FOr the longer line lengths, I prefer the lx...and as you get to shorter line lengths, it is harder to say which is better. With a lx and a wedge and some sacs, you can surf all day. no tower needed. although the illusion tower is still, to me , a nice looking addition...kinda a star trek look.

Not sure how new "newer" means, but the Response is going to be the best boat for skiing - hands down. However, the iRide (available from 2005 - 2008/9?) throws a great ski wake and is more flexible than the Response for doing other activites. The iRides also had the optional wedge, the center ballast and the tower which is good for those that like to wakeboard or surf.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I happen to have one for sale, FYI.

Link here

For me, the downside to a tower is getting it tucked nicely under a canopy. Or needing to drop it to get in your garage, depending on your storage situation.

Very good point, PITA. Gotta monkey with it each time I leave the lake. One week I even just took it off altogether, so my wife could use the boat while she stayed there and not have to mess with the tower.

post-8942-083122800 1318011243_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michigan boarder

Here’s my perspective: I personally love the feel of open air above a boat. I’ve owned an Echelon (with extended pylon), an iRide, and now an LSV. I primarily wakeboard now, but if I bought another ski boat it would definitely not have a tower on it. The extended pylon is the same effect for a rider, but it tucks away nicely when not in use. So, if you really don’t “need” one, you should consider the feel of the boat and if that might be a factor for you.

For me, the downside to a tower is getting it tucked nicely under a canopy. Or needing to drop it to get in your garage, depending on your storage situation.

If you have the right set up that really isn't an issue. We can pull the boat on and off the lift without doing anything to the tower and can raise it well out of the water as well. When we leave for the week we collapse the tower, cover it, and really tuck it up there.

With tower up and this picture is without the canopy extensions.

DSC05865.jpg

Collapsed and with the extensions. Note the water level is extremely high and the pier had begun to float away.

IMG-20110506-00050.jpg

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

Best looking tower on the response is the xtp promo tower (I believe that is what is called). The g3 does not fit the lines of the boat, IMO. This is what my next malibu will be.

P1030898e2.jpg

Edited by bamabonners

I have an '11 Response LXI with a G3 tower and it works great. It is forward enough on the hull that it does not impede access to the boat at the dock. If you want a kiler ski boat that has increased flexibility then go with the LXI (or new TXI) add a tower and a power wedge and you can do most anything. We don't wakeboard but the skiing is amazing and with the wedge down and some buddies strategically placed in the boat we surf ropeless without the benefit of any additional ballast.

Best looking tower on the response is the xtp promo tower (I believe that is what is called). The g3 does not fit the lines of the boat, IMO. This is what my next malibu will be.

P1030898e2.jpg

Georgeous Boat ..

I did not remember that Huntsville had nearby hills.

There are no tags on that boat so I am confused.

Is that picture in Huntsville ?

Where does a " Rocket City Redneck " go to waterski ?

Has the area been recently hurt with the cutback in the space shuttle program ?

P1030898e2.jpg

Yeah that boat is awesome looking. I love how the lines of the windshield flow so well into the tower and the swooped back look. Ive always loved the look of direct drive boats for some reason even though i dont ski and would never own a direct drive but this and the prostar look amazing IMO.

Off topic of original post, but why the switch to the Response from the VLX bamabonners?

P1030898e2.jpg

Yup this is a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet looking boat would love to have on n my garage. :rockon:

P1030898e2.jpg

That boat belonged to the Malibu Promo rep for Utah.

Boat was SOLD last month.

That also explains the "no numbers", only used on a private lake.

XTP tower does look great on the 07 -11 LXI but doesn't match the new windshield on the TXI, although still a good look.

As noted the LXi is roomier inside, both ski very well, but I give the advantage to the LXi. I feel it has a flatter/softer wake particularly at shorter line lengths (a prop has a significant impact on the wake, so two similar boats can be very different). There are also differences between the same series (RLX,RLXi) depending on year, the Response/Response LX hull has 3 variants (SV23, Diamond, Diamond Cut) and the LXi a couple. the 2003-2006 LXi is often considered one of the best for slalom skiing. Not mentioned, but barefooting performance is different between the LXi and RLX if that matters at all. If considering a new boat, the TXi deserves a look, it skis really well across the entire range and is certainly getting less hype than similar offerings that perform at the same level. I would highly recommend a test run prior to buying or choosing.

Based on your comments, I would not recommend a tower but would use a pylon for the infrequent wakeboard runs. Unless using it all the time, I would feel the inconvienience would outweigh the benefits. Also, many of the towers cause interference with the rope at short line length's, so that is something you have to evaluate. I use a pylon when footing, and it works great.

Edited by Woodski