Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Chrome Cleaning.. Steel Wool + Windex

Took some steel wool along with Windex to the rear chrome hose inlet last night and it cleaned it up like new and I do not notice any small scratches from the steel wool. Has anyone used this combo to clean the large chrome Malibu decals and board racks? Wanting to get some opinions before I use this combo to clean the rest of the chrome rails and board racks.

A lot of the surfaces on you Bu are either stainless or polishe aluminum, both of which will be damaged by the steelwool and windex combo. For those surfaces a good metal polish and a buffing wheel or pad will do wonders.

As Ndawg pointed out above the windex/steelwool combo will do some serious cleaning on the trailer wheels :yahoo:

I always heard it was a bad idea to use steel wool on chrome. :dontknow: maybe urban folklore.

As a kid, every spring I would get my bike out of the attic and spend a day scrubbing the handlebars and rims (between and around every spoke) with a soapy SOS pad.

Was the chrome just dirty and faded or showing signs of pitting? I might have to give this a try.

Dirty with water spots that did not want to come off with just about every chemical I tried, included stainless steel magic that we use on our pots and pans. Very lightly went over the rear Malibu logo on the transom and it cleaned up really well with no signs of scratching. Going to polish them up with some collinite wax when it arrives next week. I have also read some threads about 'bartenders friend" working wonders. I have some of this under my kitchen cabinet so I am going to give it a go on the bow railing and around the windows which will be less harsh than the steel wool

My mirror and board racks on the other hand look like they have more going on with them then hard water spots, what is this pitting you speak of?

Dirty with water spots that did not want to come off with just about every chemical I tried, included stainless steel magic that we use on our pots and pans. Very lightly went over the rear Malibu logo on the transom and it cleaned up really well with no signs of scratching. Going to polish them up with some collinite wax when it arrives next week. I have also read some threads about 'bartenders friend" working wonders. I have some of this under my kitchen cabinet so I am going to give it a go on the bow railing and around the windows which will be less harsh than the steel wool

My mirror and board racks on the other hand look like they have more going on with them then hard water spots, what is this pitting you speak of?

Pitting will be dark spots that are actually into the metal. My guess is that you have some oxidation on the aluminum of the racks and mirror arm. Bartenders friend, never dull. mothers, ect will take care of that but you will be rubbing a bit. Tape off or cover as much of the boat as possible as the dust will turn what ever it gets on black (not hard to clean off but why if you don't have to). You can also remove the racks and mirror arm for polishing. The bowrails will also respond to the metal polish as well but youwill have to rub more. Again tape and cover as much as possible.

We use a cream polish (metal polish) on the leading eadges of the Lear and it lasts for about 3 to 6 months before we have to polish again. The polish on the Bu should last a year or more depending on where you store.