Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Was 2004 a bad year?

Hi Guys,

not currently a bu owner - hopefully coming soon though. I'm looking through various "used, but not old" Response Lxi's and it seems like I find 4 times as many 2004 model years than any other model year in that vicinity. It's so overwhelming that I started to wonder if it's something I should be worried about. Was 2004 an off year for manufacturing and the boats seem to have problems? Or was 2004 a perfect production year, so there are 4 times as many 2004 models out there because so many people wanted to buy them? Wondering if I should be worried or excited about the fact that I mostly only find 2004 model years on the used market. Thanks for any input.

Scott

MalibuNation

Hi Guys,

not currently a bu owner - hopefully coming soon though. I'm looking through various "used, but not old" Response Lxi's and it seems like I find 4 times as many 2004 model years than any other model year in that vicinity. It's so overwhelming that I started to wonder if it's something I should be worried about. Was 2004 an off year for manufacturing and the boats seem to have problems? Or was 2004 a perfect production year, so there are 4 times as many 2004 models out there because so many people wanted to buy them? Wondering if I should be worried or excited about the fact that I mostly only find 2004 model years on the used market. Thanks for any input.

Scott

Nope

'04 was a very good year.

Speaking as someone with a "pre '04" SSLXI who has a close boating buddy who has the '04 model of the same boat, I can attest to the ways Malibu stepped up their game in that model year. I believe this was the first year with much thicker vinyl on the seats. Those in my friends boat are nearly indestructable compared to mine. Also, this was the first year of the 340 Monsoon, I believe. That engine has much more torque, and is smoother too I believe, than the 325 in my boat. Also, the trim is much nicer....more chrome, less plastic, and it holds up much better. I could go on but you get the picture...

Anyone have a lightly used '04 SSLXI that they want to get rid of?

I can't imagine why anyone would sell an '04 RLxi, I NEVER will. :-)

Trouble free is an understatement.

Get one, you will see!