Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drive shaft box leak

I have a leak form the bolt on the Steering pivoit at the back of the Drive shaft box, on my 1998 Response. Does anyone know where to get the skimatics of 1998 malibu response drive shaft.

I have a leak form the bolt on the Steering pivoit at the back of the Drive shaft box, on my 1998 Response. Does anyone know where to get the skimatics of 1998 malibu response drive shaft.

The steering pivot is just a bolt with a nylock nut underneath. We had this issue with our 04'RLXi, pretty sure your 98' is the same. Remove all screws holding down the cover of the HDS box. You might have to run a blade between the lid and the box to break the silicone bead sealing the cover. Unbolt the steering pivot, it should have a stainless steel washer on both sides. Silicone both washers where they come in contact with the HDS box and bolt back into place. I never found out if there is a special washer for the pivot but this remedy worked like a charm for us and the water was literally pouring into the bilge through the pivot. Hope this helps.

I have a leak form the bolt on the Steering pivot at the back of the Drive shaft box, on my 1998 Response. Does anyone know where to get the schematics of 1998 malibu response drive shaft.

Is it at the "steering pivot" (rudder) or the "driveshaft box" (HDS or packing gland)? :dontknow:

Don't crack open that HDS box if you don't have to. :no:

:shocked: Dude!! Clean your bilge. :vomit:

:lol: OK, maybe I'm a little bit OCD... :biggrin:

Considering there is no transmission connected to the drive shaft in that picture, I think a clean bilge is the least of his worries at this point :whistle:

Yes this is where the water is comming from.

The step by step instructions in post # 2 should work just fine. When you retighten the nut & bolt you can make it pretty snug , just make sure it pivots freely.

:shocked: Dude!! Clean your bilge. :vomit:

:lol: OK, maybe I'm a little bit OCD... :biggrin:

Considering there is no transmission connected to the drive shaft in that picture, I think a clean bilge is the least of his worries at this point :whistle:

Bilge is clean! First step in the re assembly process. You guys didn't forget about this boat did you?:biggrin: I will probably start a rebuild thread here soon and the old thread on TT will just slip away. Got Chees' contact info from this site, I should have my new skins in a couple of weeks. Scored some good stuff from Capt. Moe. Hopefully I can get some work done before the weather tanks.

post-11528-022486000 1317926204_thumb.jp

had this same problem on my 97 response but water was coming in through holes in the hull from the box.. to fix had to re epoxy the inside of the box and reseal the lid then it was fixed.. i worked in autobody shop so i used windsheild urethane to seal top.

• 6 years later...
On 10/6/2011 at 1:21 PM, bouyhead+ said:

The step by step instructions in post # 2 should work just fine. When you retighten the nut & bolt you can make it pretty snug , just make sure it pivots freely.

Bringing this old thread up. I have a small leak also where the pivot mounts to the rear of the hds box. I was able to turn the bolt with my hand. I am also getting a small amount of play in steering when pulling skiers through course. Cable was replaced a few years ago. I noticed when I turn steering wheel back and forth the pivot moves slightley in both directions. Could that be where the play is coming from or should the pivot not move.