Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fraud. Headed soon to a Dealer near you!

nyryan2001

Just found this interesting, hot topic lately.... also FYI, although they share the same last name, this is NOT the Oklahoma City Malibu Dealer, Wilson Watersports...same last name, but they are in no way mentioned or implicated in any way with this.

Boat Broker Sentenced to Pay $95,000 in Restitution

An Oklahoma City man charged with 10 felony counts of violating the Oklahoma Consumer Protection Act will pay more than $95,000 in restitution after pleading guilty in Oklahoma County District Court, Attorney General Drew Edmondson said.

William Gregory Wilson, 36, was charged March 2 after he allegedly took money from 10 consumers for the sales of various watercraft but then either failed to provide the boats or refund the money. Wilson pleaded guilty to the charges May 23 and was sentenced yesterday on all counts.

Wilson, who was the general manager and a salesman for Deep Fork Marine, Inc. of Arcadia, was sentenced to 45 days imprisonment and 10 years probation. He was also ordered to pay $5,000 in fines and $95,169 in restitution.

The state had accused Wilson of defrauding 10 Oklahoma consumers of money and trade-in merchandise that was never returned to its owners. He was charged after an investigation by the attorney general’s Consumer Protection Unit.

Edmondson’s Consumer Protection Unit has statewide jurisdiction to investigate and prosecute violations of the state’s Consumer Protection Act. Anyone with information regarding suspected fraud or scams can contact the attorney general’s consumer protection hotline at (405) 521-2029.

Not sure how Gunther at Bridge City Watersports got away with it, he did the same thing. Hopefully a similar fate is headed his way :lightning: .

Exactly what I was about to post. This gives me new hope that the customers wronged by Bridge City will see justice someday... Anyone know if there is even a case against that dirtbag?

Im confused. So people brought in a boat for him to sell or bought a new boat and never got any money or the boat (depending on the case)? So what happens to the people? How are they covered? In one case he stole their boat. In another he stole their money. What happened to those people?

Im confused. So people brought in a boat for him to sell or bought a new boat and never got any money or the boat (depending on the case)? So what happens to the people? How are they covered? In one case he stole their boat. In another he stole their money. What happened to those people?

A bunch of things can happen:

-You make a downpayment, never get the boat.

-Dealer can sell you a boat that he doesn't have a title to. You have the boat, but a bank owns it.

-Dealer sells you a boat, he doesn't actually use the money you pay torwards the boat. You have the boat, but a bank owns it.

-You bring in a trade in, the dealer takes it, but doesn't pay off your loan.

Etc...

I bet that those people who got scammed do not see any real form of justice. A used car dealership did this exact thing in my town, and by the time the 30 or so people never got the titles to their cars, the money was long spent. All that they can do is put the guy in jail and slap him with some sort of reimbursement. Which now that no one will hire him will pretty well not happen. If I recall right, the guys in my town spent it all to keep their drug habit going.

I bet that those people who got scammed do not see any real form of justice. A used car dealership did this exact thing in my town, and by the time the 30 or so people never got the titles to their cars, the money was long spent. All that they can do is put the guy in jail and slap him with some sort of reimbursement. Which now that no one will hire him will pretty well not happen. If I recall right, the guys in my town spent it all to keep their drug habit going.

Hoping those that got robbed are somehow reimbursed.

Ticking off the wrong person in the wrong way could easily be bad for their health...ahem.

Steve B.

So everyone that got scammed is just screwed? Like literally out that money never see it again?

BINGO, Thats pretty much how it goes.You might be able to sue. However its pretty hard to get anything out of them when they got nothing. Besides there will be a list of peeps that got screwed as well. End up with a bad taste in your mouth and a hard lesson learned.

Edited by rammer998

reiterates the saying, if its too good to be true it probrably is... also, the need to support and reward those dealers/vendors that have established themselves as honest, trustworth and fair with your business and referrals...

reiterates the saying, if its too good to be true it probrably is... also, the need to support and reward those dealers/vendors that have established themselves as honest, trustworth and fair with your business and referrals...

:plus1:

Well this thread was a great free lesson for me. Never in a million years would I be thinking I would have to wonder if I could trust an establishment. I knew you needed to be leery when buying private, but jeeze. Whats this world coming to?

A bunch of things can happen:

-You make a downpayment, never get the boat.

-Dealer can sell you a boat that he doesn't have a title to. You have the boat, but a bank owns it.

-Dealer sells you a boat, he doesn't actually use the money you pay torwards the boat. You have the boat, but a bank owns it.

-You bring in a trade in, the dealer takes it, but doesn't pay off your loan.

Etc...

Wow, sounds like Gunther Thoma's mission statement (from Bridge City).

But you forgot: Dealer takes your trade in, doesn't pay off your loan, gives you the run-around for months while he tries to sell it to another poor sap and makes late payments on the loan still in your name....... That's what happened to me. Luckily I badgered the dealership on a daily basis until they FINALLY paid it off months and months later and avoided the final phase of that scam.........selling the trade-in to another guy and pocketing the money. Sickening, eh?

BS, I am in continual amazement at your luck. I don't know how you managed to come out of that with a clean title.

Yeah, I think "luck" sums it up for sure. I have a hard time believing anything I did really made a difference, especially hearing other people's stories of how brazen BCWS was being. To this day, I've kept all the email correspondence I got from them on the matter just in case. Though, I don't know how much it would have helped me, seeing as all I could get out of them was one word responses! I lost many nights sleep thinking what was going to happen if they didn't pay it off and I was stuck with 2 payments and 1 boat. It was really stressful. To this day I have no idea if they had sold the boat prior to paying it off......