Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sagging trailer = wheel/fender rubbing

Hi everyone,

My single-axle boatmate trailer is sagging on the right hand side. The left wheel well has plenty of clearance between the tire and wheel well, but on the right side it looks as though there isnt any support, and I noticed that the wheel well fender is contacting/cutting into the tread of the tire (along with evidence of burnt paint on the fender from rubbing at high speed).

I can't find any leaf springs to replace or see if they're broken - only a pivoting arm that rotates when I jack up the frame with a floor jack.

Has anyone else had this issue? My trailer is only 3 years old and seems like it shouldnt be doing this. I just can't see anything loose or broken that would make it do this.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Broken torsion axle. Time to replace. :(

:plus1: - Buddy's dual axel just did it. In need of axle replacement. He ended up taking his to the local dealer and they welded it for a temporary fix and he was able to go on his Shasta trip (about a 6 hr drive each way) and it held up great! you will just loose suspension on that side.

Edited by MalibuKarl

Hi everyone,

My single-axle boatmate trailer is sagging on the right hand side. The left wheel well has plenty of clearance between the tire and wheel well, but on the right side it looks as though there isnt any support, and I noticed that the wheel well fender is contacting/cutting into the tread of the tire (along with evidence of burnt paint on the fender from rubbing at high speed).

I can't find any leaf springs to replace or see if they're broken - only a pivoting arm that rotates when I jack up the frame with a floor jack.

Has anyone else had this issue? My trailer is only 3 years old and seems like it shouldnt be doing this. I just can't see anything loose or broken that would make it do this.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Those are UFP axles, mine packed it in after two and a half years. I decided to replace BOTH axles, and just put the second one in yesterday. All my brake pads were broken off the backing plates and the reverse solenoid has also failed. 2008 was a problematic year I think.

Those are UFP axles, mine packed it in after two and a half years. I decided to replace BOTH axles, and just put the second one in yesterday. All my brake pads were broken off the backing plates and the reverse solenoid has also failed. 2008 was a problematic year I think.

Did you get them both replaced under warranty?

Did you get them both replaced under warranty?

The Malibu dealer said the trailer axles were out of warranty.

Since only the rear axle failed, UFP kindly , as a courtesy, supplied a new axle, shipped it from California, and put $220 towards labor. They then offered to give me a good deal (cost) on another axle and shipped it to me so both axles would be new. I took this as a possible bad batch of axles and never want to go through the experience of breaking down, on the way to my holidays, ever again. It cost me a small fortune to get my boat home not to mention the abuse and damage the tow company did to the boat and trailer. Thats why I decided to pay for another axle and put it in myself. Now I have a spare axle just in case.

• 1 year later...

I finally had a torsion axle go bad. 10:30 AM on a Friday morning. Left for my 1 week housboat vacation to Dale Hollow and stopped after 2 miles to gas up truck before 120 mile trip. Noticed front tire squatting and knew we just checked everything the night before. Went to trailer and gave tire a kick to make sure it had air. It was rock hard, kicked back wheel and it spun. Oh shat, now what? Rear torsion axle had spun in tube and tire was way up in fender well but not touching yet. Limped back 2 miles to home and started making calls. Rear tire was rubbing top of fender before I got home. Called local trailer repair places, none keep parts in stock. Called SMP (Sweetwater Metal Products) the trailer manufacturer, they said they have to get them made and it would be a couple weeks cause they come from UFP ( Unique Functional Products) in Winchester TN. Good news as I have had great cooperation from UFP on other issues. Called UFP and got girl from warranty that said, "I will Email waranty form" this on an eight year old trailer and without me asking for warranty. I just wanted parts as soon as possible. Still would be 5 days before they could make them though. Now I ask if they know anyone in my area that may stock the axle and they said no, but did have an idea to get me on the road. She handed me off to Dennis who I had worked with before on a couple other trailer problems. He mentioned that I could just weld the spindle to the axle tube to get me through. I said great and set out to the dirive way to do just that. 2.5 hours after the failure and a bit of sweat and labor, I was back on the road and Vacation saved. THANKS UFP! I have now towed 250 miles on the welded axle and no problems, Another plus is UFP is 60 miles from my home and I will drive to pick them up. Cost will be about $35 in gas. They are replacing both of my 8 year old axles for FREE! I will pick them up this week and paint and install them. Untill I get that done, I am again today goint to tow another 120 miles to get to a lake and home. Not worried about axle at all.

• 3 weeks later...