Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wake wedge (powere wedge) screws

I sheared two screws that hold the wedge fin to the bracket. I read this is commom and they are now using titanium screws. Looking to see if anyone knew where I could order them.

Thanks

I sheared two screws that hold the wedge fin to the bracket. I read this is commom and they are now using titanium screws. Looking to see if anyone knew where I could order them.

Thanks

I am no engineer but I do know that titanium isn't the best choice for everything. If I were you I would do the homework on it and make sure your source is correct (I kinda doubt it). Example, in the high end bike industry pedal spindles can be made from titanium but there is a weight limit......a suprisingly low one. Also titanium bike frames really aren't that great for bigger riders, they are flexy and can break.

If it were me, I would look for the fastener with the highest tensile strength and can withstand rust and corrosion. I would coat the threads with anti-seize before installation. I would also verify that the bolts were not even the slightest bit to long....I believe your best choice is stainless but you should look it up.

Edited by Ruffdog

Strength is all dependent the alloying. Stainless can have a yield strength from 60-110 + ksi and titanium is in the same range based on alloy. In my world... refineries.... We use titanium for high temperature corrosion mechanisms vs strength. If you use stainless you want min 316 or 321 (B8M or B8T). no use trying to find titanium bolts as it will be much harder to find... the local bolt supply place will be much more capable of helping with the stainless.

as a young engineer I designed and installed a pair of titanium exchangers about the size of a bu..... but could have bought 50 boats for the price of the exchangers.... if i ever go into business I'm building exchangers not boats

+1 on the antiseize.

Edited by G-Mack