Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

info on adjustting throttle cables

guys anyone have a tech sheet on adjusting throttle cables on 98ish malibus and the neutral switch? Mine is acting up more than normal and is clunking into gear more than usual, thanks in advance!

Sorry...its a monsoon efi vdrive. Looking at it tonight it looks like its sloppy by maybe a 3/16" each way off neutral. when moving the transmission arm on the tranny under the ecm it sounds as though the slop is in the throttle arm, the nuetral lock seems to be worn looking at it from the drivers seat, might be my winter project I just hope it not the transmission itself.

Being a '98 the cables may well need to be replaced, but before doing that you should replace three items. The neutral detent spring is almost definitely broken. If you remove the throttle control from the side panel (Put control in reverse to get out) you should see a small metal leaf spring on the aft side of the shift control. It probably has snapped in the middle. This is a common issue on slalom boats, ski school boats, or older boats - anyone that is constantly shifting in and out of gear. Some folks will double it up when replacing, but you may find that a new one will work just fine.

The second issue that contributes to sloppiness more than many realize is the brass cable connectors. You can't visually see it while connected, so remove the cotter pin from the connector so the cable can be removed from the shifter. You may find that the connectors are worn at least half-way through. Usually these wear items create a hard shift or hard throttle movement, as they are grinding, but again it's normal for folks to not notice or realize it.

Take a look at those, both available from most all Malibu dealers, ourselves included.

Peter

This is what the connectors look like :

DSCF5795.jpg

Yeah, check the little brass fitting. My finally wore through on my '93 echelon. This spring I went to put the boat in gear and hit the throttle and it went into gear but I had not throttle. The little bugger wore clean through. At least it was a cheap and easy fit.

I replaced my throttle cable this summer with a Teleflex TfXtreme, these cables are great, gives me total control of the throttle, I know this is a little different then what you are asking about, but they are the same type cables. It may be worth getting new cables. The issue I was having, was a slight sticking at 20 I would give it just a little throttle, and then it would shoot up to 25, replaced the cable, not I can adjust in 1/2 mph increments. I will be replacing my shift cable next summer with these TfXtreme cables, they cost a few bucks more, but they are worth it.

I have a 98 echelon that jumps from 27 to 30. So does that sound like a throttle cable problem? i was worried it might be something more serious.

I replaced my throttle cable this summer with a Teleflex TfXtreme, these cables are great, gives me total control of the throttle, I know this is a little different then what you are asking about, but they are the same type cables. It may be worth getting new cables. The issue I was having, was a slight sticking at 20 I would give it just a little throttle, and then it would shoot up to 25, replaced the cable, not I can adjust in 1/2 mph increments. I will be replacing my shift cable next summer with these TfXtreme cables, they cost a few bucks more, but they are worth it.

Thanks guys!! exactly what I was looking for. I tried taking the throttle unit out once but couldnt getit out so Ill try it in reverse this time.

I would like somw more info on the other cables that could be upgraded for.

• Like 1

I have a 98 echelon that jumps from 27 to 30. So does that sound like a throttle cable problem? i was worried it might be something more serious.

I hope it does work for you, once I got my old cable out, I could not feel any slippage, in the cable or in the throttle for that matter, mine was in a 98 Sunsetter. Just remember to to pull the new cable in as you are pulling the old cable out. You may need to replace the ends like SmoothWaterMan indicated.

The TFXtreme cables are all that Malibu uses (in recent years) and likely most of us dealers. Email me or a dealer close to you for prices.

Peter

• 2 months later...

The TFXtreme cables are all that Malibu uses (in recent years) and likely most of us dealers. Email me or a dealer close to you for prices.

Peter

peter still trying to find these parts you suggested in canada my malibu dealer has no idea what Im talking about...I tried to email you but it may have gotten lost in the shuffle. Can you help me out here?

Jason

• 6 years later...
On 10/3/2011 at 7:28 AM, SmoothWaterMan said:

Being a '98 the cables may well need to be replaced, but before doing that you should replace three items. The neutral detent spring is almost definitely broken. If you remove the throttle control from the side panel (Put control in reverse to get out) you should see a small metal leaf spring on the aft side of the shift control. It probably has snapped in the middle. This is a common issue on slalom boats, ski school boats, or older boats - anyone that is constantly shifting in and out of gear. Some folks will double it up when replacing, but you may find that a new one will work just fine.

The second issue that contributes to sloppiness more than many realize is the brass cable connectors. You can't visually see it while connected, so remove the cotter pin from the connector so the cable can be removed from the shifter. You may find that the connectors are worn at least half-way through. Usually these wear items create a hard shift or hard throttle movement, as they are grinding, but again it's normal for folks to not notice or realize it.

Take a look at those, both available from most all Malibu dealers, ourselves included.

Peter

Excellent advice, Peter!  I can't recall when I read this post but I kept it in the back of my mind.  I opened up the helm area for part of a "remodel" of my boat and to remove the shifter mechanism we had to free the cables.  They both looked excellent and with very little play...after we popped off the cotter pins I saw this:

2ecf409.jpg

2ecf409.jpg

So just as the poster you replied to, I also have the leaf spring on the aft end of the unit broken...will both of these be carried by dealers?

Edited by formulaben

I've replaced those cable connectors.  You don't need to get those from Malibu, the shifter is most likely a Teleflex Morse  you can get the parts from almost any marine parts supplier.  They cost barely anything.