Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ECM failure? No start.

Went to start the boat this morning to go for the haul out/winterization and she didn't start. Turned over fine, all accessories work. But the tell-tale whine of the fuel pump was missing when I turned the key to the run position. And the electronics on the dash didn't power up. Is this indicative of the ($$$) ECM or a blown fuse/breaker somewhere else? I have tome before freezing becomes an issue, but was hoping to cross this off my list. Your thoughts? Thanks fellas.

--T.

Kill switch.

Checked it. Secure and where it's supposed to be. Main breaker as well as the breaker panel beneath the throttle all check OK also.

Checked it. Secure and where it's supposed to be. Main breaker as well as the breaker panel beneath the throttle all check OK also.

pull the cover on the ECM and check the fuses located under it. There should be three. One that says fuel pump and another that says injectors. Check them both since they are related in the schematic.

As mentioned, the kill switch would be the place to start. Not with just a visual check, but with a meter if need be. The dash will not power up without power through the kill switch.

Peter

See this thread, could be the buss bar but I'll bet you a bag of donuts if you wiggle the kill switch the gages will spring to life and the engine will fire right up.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33470-electrical-mystery-no-power-at-dashwont-start/

Sounds like the standard kill switch issue... No gauges, engines cranks but won't fire.

The kill switch cuts the ground to the gauges and fuel pump, most of the time you can slip a penny behind the button and it will depress the button just that little farther to connect the circuit and supply ground again.

If you replace the kill switch, go to the newer style lanyard that holds the button out and not in. Its a better switch that won't fatigue over time like the old one did on you.

-Paul

I didn't think to fiddle about with the kill switch. I visually checked it and it appeared OK. Crud. It is in the garage 2-1/2 hours from here so it will wait until next weekend. If it's a relatively common issue I think I can trust the input from TWO dealers on here. :werule:

• 2 weeks later...

I made arrangements for a qualified person to take a look at it. He stopped by, turned the key, "adjusted" the kill switch and everything came to life perfectly. I have not been able to get back to the boat since that horrid rainy day when we pulled the boat and stuffed it unceremoniously in the garage. We've been too busy with home projects and I'm flying to Denver first thing tomorrow for the week. Next weekend we'll winterize and properly clean, wash & wax.

Dave - you may know the Hickson brothers - one used to work for Barry. Chris checked it out.