Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wax the bottom of a wakeboard?

nemalibu

I have some scuffs on the bottom of my wakeboard. Is it ok for me to put boat hull wax on the board? Will it effect the performance? Has anyone tried this before?

martinarcher

I'm surprised by the responses. I wax our surfboards quite often and it makes a big difference in the speed of the board. I usually wax the wakeboard every spring, but like someone said it doesn't usually last too long.

I'm surprised by the responses. I wax our surfboards quite often and it makes a big difference in the speed of the board. I usually wax the wakeboard every spring, but like someone said it doesn't usually last too long.

You're sure it makes a big difference?

I have some scuffs on the bottom of my wakeboard. Is it ok for me to put boat hull wax on the board? Will it effect the performance? Has anyone tried this before?

Do it to all my boards...never noticed a difference. Do it every year on whatever board I have to wax out the rack scuffs or the slider scuffs. Hardly ever makes a difference to the ride or the look, but I keep doing it.

I know it's a different deal with a surfboard, but as far as a windsurfer goes, you never, NEVER wax the bottom. It creates a more turbulent water flow across the bottom of the board, which translates to slower speeds and less control. There's a reason for the dimples on a golf ball. Same concept as having water stick to and spread out on the base of a slalom ski or windsurfer: laminar flow. Maybe a more turbulent, random flow creates a looser feel on a surfboard. I don't know, but I do know that I won't wax the bottom of any of my own boards.

I've never waxed a wakeboard in 11 years of riding. Even if it successfully reduced friction (which I have doubts about) is that what you want? Do you ever feel your wakeboard is really dragging when you're riding? I don't feel it is and I don't think I'd want the bottom to be slipperier on landings?

Even on a snowboard I mean it's nice to reduce the friction for starting up (easier to get going) but once you get going down the hill do you really need a faster board? Everyone just carves down the mountain to slow themselves down anyway, nobody goes straight down because they'll go too fast.

Which leads me to my last point, the boat holds you at a constant speed. Waxing should be completely unnecessary.

I am int the camp of 'no wax the wakeboard'. As for waxing snowboards, it totally helps, but there's not a boat pulling me at a fixed 22mp the entire time. Doesn't seem like the base on a wakeboard is porous to absorb wax, except the newer slider bases.

I do ride flat based on my snowboard, but that is for picking up speed before a kicker or in a long traverse/cat walk. You can always tell who in our group waxed the most recent to.

I've never waxed a wakeboard in 11 years of riding. Even if it successfully reduced friction (which I have doubts about) is that what you want? Do you ever feel your wakeboard is really dragging when you're riding? I don't feel it is and I don't think I'd want the bottom to be slipperier on landings?

Even on a snowboard I mean it's nice to reduce the friction for starting up (easier to get going) but once you get going down the hill do you really need a faster board? Everyone just carves down the mountain to slow themselves down anyway, nobody goes straight down because they'll go too fast.

Which leads me to my last point, the boat holds you at a constant speed. Waxing should be completely unnecessary.

Yes! I wax my board every other time i go out so its always consistent especially for hitting jumps and also wax it with different waxes depending on the temperature so it doesnt feel sticky when its really cold out. Also the faster you can go, the bigger you can go. :crazy:

I am int the camp of 'no wax the wakeboard'. As for waxing snowboards, it totally helps, but there's not a boat pulling me at a fixed 22mp the entire time. Doesn't seem like the base on a wakeboard is porous to absorb wax, except the newer slider bases.

I do ride flat based on my snowboard, but that is for picking up speed before a kicker or in a long traverse/cat walk. You can always tell who in our group waxed the most recent to.

Im not even sure the slider bases are porous enough to hold wax but could be wrong. And i totally agree with your snowboard comment.

I always, always keep my snowboard waxed. Our NW snow is heavy enough without having to worry about that. Like Augie said: you can always tell the guy in the group that neglected to wax......

Wakeboards & Wakesurfs? I had never even heard of that to be honest. With the boat's speed being the determinate factor I don't understand why you would.....

I DO wonder however, if anyone has removed the factory provided grip pads and started waxing the TOP of their wakesurfs? Especially on the foam core boards, it seems like I never like the factory provided pad placement. Even if the pad is in the right spot your foot moves all over when you're doing airs, and landing on the board is slippery & sketchy. Why aren't these manufacturers simply eliminating the pads and going with wax? Any thoughts? Anyone already tried this? (i've never spent significant time ocean surfing.... would the wax residue stick to your feet and get tracked in the boat or something?)

Edited by bs001

I always, always keep my snowboard waxed. Our NW snow is heavy enough without having to worry about that. Like Augie said: you can always tell the guy in the group that neglected to wax......

Wakeboards & Wakesurfs? I had never even heard of that to be honest. With the boat's speed being the determinate factor I don't understand why you would.....

I DO wonder however, if anyone has removed the factory provided grip pads and started waxing the TOP of their wakesurfs? Especially on the foam core boards, it seems like I never like the factory provided pad placement. Even if the pad is in the right spot your foot moves all over when you're doing airs, and landing on the board is slippery & sketchy. Why aren't these manufacturers simply eliminating the pads and going with wax? Any thoughts? Anyone already tried this? (i've never spent significant time ocean surfing.... would the wax residue stick to your feet and get tracked in the boat or something?)

absolutely...heck I got wax residue from my boardies on the interior one time...surf wax not coming near my boat....that said, I'm sure you could replace stock traction pads with bigger and different shape for better coverage

With the boat's speed being the determinate factor I don't understand why you would.....

IF waxing the bottom made the board more "slippery" it would reduce the amount of line tension for wakeboarding (less drag) and would make a wakesurf board a little quicker and easier to keep in the pocket.

Why aren't these manufacturers simply eliminating the pads and going with wax? Any thoughts? Anyone already tried this? (i've never spent significant time ocean surfing.... would the wax residue stick to your feet and get tracked in the boat or something?)

Yes. You would end up with sticky wax all over everything. :yuk: Not good. :no:

Unnecessary on a wake board. most definately necessary on a snowboard!

I don't believe wax will make the board faster, in fact, I think slower. I always thought that if you sand the bottom with 400 grit it will go faster because I believe it was proven with racing sailboat hulls. Kind of like how a stepped hull create's air and less friction making the boat go faster. I'd be interested to know the truth. By the way, I do wax my boards just because I seem to wax a lot of stuff. :rockon:

If you are waxing the bottom of your wakeboard you have too much time on your hands! :biggrin: better off putting it on the boat! honestly, dont think it would do anything other than possible keep it from fading in the sun when its on your board racks!

Edited by Fman

absolutely...heck I got wax residue from my boardies on the interior one time...surf wax not coming near my boat....that said, I'm sure you could replace stock traction pads with bigger and different shape for better coverage

:thumbup: I knew there must be a reason.....

NORCAL: I'm not sure, but even if it did make the bottom of the board more slippery, wouldn't the fins & channeling on the bottom of the boards (not present on a snowboard or snowskis) just work against that when carving? I mean, I don't want my board to slip. If it did, I'd just dig it in harder to increase line tension. I'd have to think wakeboards are ridden on edge, with the fins and edges dug in, 99% of the time. Not true with snowskis, etc where it's more in the neighborhood of 50-50. :dontknow:

Edited by bs001