Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lifted the boat on the PROP!

My teenage son helped me one evening by putting the bu on the lift by himself (because I had broken my ankle skiing). I usually position the boat and have one of them crank it up, but since I wasnt availible he did it himself. He did a good job and I appreciate his help but a few days later when I was able to go check out the boat, I hobbled down the dock on crutches and noticed the rear of the boat was sitting higher than normal. What had happened was he pullled the boat in too far and the prop ended up resting on the cross member of the lift. The rear of the boat was completely supported by the prop. The prop isnt stainless its more of a brass color and supposed to be an upgrade from stock according to the previous owner. I checked it out as best I could and lowered it into the water, took it for a drive. Nothing seemed out of order, but I am more sensitive to a vibration now. Unsure if it was there before the lifting mishap or if it was always there. I intend to take it in for winterizing and have it checked.

I really hope the shaft and prop are true, if not what does the future hold for my wallet? Anyone ever have something like this happen?

I intend to put some kind of boat stop on the lift for next spring to keep this from happening again. Like two padded bars that catch the bow and dont allow the boat to go too far forward.

Thanks everyone!

Is there a way that I can check it myself? Can I fire the boat on the trailer out of the water and put it in gear and spin the prop for just a few seconds to see if its true without causing damage? I me like just 10-20 seconds?

Edited by WoodyBC

My teenage son helped me one evening by putting the bu on the lift by himself (because I had broken my ankle skiing). I usually position the boat and have one of them crank it up, but since I wasnt availible he did it himself. He did a good job and I appreciate his help but a few days later when I was able to go check out the boat, I hobbled down the dock on crutches and noticed the rear of the boat was sitting higher than normal. What had happened was he pullled the boat in too far and the prop ended up resting on the cross member of the lift. The rear of the boat was completely supported by the prop. The prop isnt stainless its more of a brass color and supposed to be an upgrade from stock according to the previous owner. I checked it out as best I could and lowered it into the water, took it for a drive. Nothing seemed out of order, but I am more sensitive to a vibration now. Unsure if it was there before the lifting mishap or if it was always there. I intend to take it in for winterizing and have it checked.

I really hope the shaft and prop are true, if not what does the future hold for my wallet? Anyone ever have something like this happen?

I intend to put some kind of boat stop on the lift for next spring to keep this from happening again. Like two padded bars that catch the bow and dont allow the boat to go too far forward.

Thanks everyone!

Is there a way that I can check it myself? Can I fire the boat on the trailer out of the water and put it in gear and spin the prop for just a few seconds to see if its true without causing damage? I me like just 10-20 seconds?

Luckily you don't have a v-drive. You probably just bent one the ears on the prop, if it was a v-drive I would suggest being concerned about the shaft and strut/bearings as well. But this is all just a guess. To run the boat in gear out of the water, obviously you need to get water to the engine but you also need to run water on the strut bearing as that's how they are lubricated. Just run a garden hose on it.

Edited by Ndawg12

Is the prop bent?

Thats the first thing to check, if you want to be really sure, take it off and send it to a prop shop. If the prop is not bent and its not the stainless steel prop, then I doubt anything else has been disturbed.

Edited by Bozboat

You can check both yourself. Look at the prop and see if any of the any of the blades are bent, you can take off the prop and lay it on a flat surface to check some of it and then also use visual references to check the rest. I would assume that the outer edge of the prop would have been damaged so you can stand the prop up on each blade and measure up to the shaft hole to see if any of them are now "shorter" or were cruched down. Did you mark the one it was resting on? A prop shop can also do the same and also correct it for you. You can also check the shaft by using a dial indicator and reading the runout on the shaft. If you don't have access a pretty simple way would be to rig up a pointer (coat hanger, nail) pointed right at the center or right on the edge of the shaft at the very back, then rotate the shaft by hand and see if there is any "wobble". Your eye will detect a pretty small amount of runout. If none, you are in good shape, if some then try to get some help on setting up a dial indicator to determine if there is enough to worry about. Good luck.

Oh good. I've been worried that the entire shaft was bent, etc. This year I'm taking it in to be winterized just for peace of mind and the inability to climb around on it right now. I'll have them check it out and fix whatever so I'm ready to go in the spring. Thanks Boz, Woodski, and Ndawg. :thumbup:

I think I will pull the prop and do some measuring. Good advice

Edited by WoodyBC

This would be an excellent project for your teenage son to get engaged with, a great way to learn about the boat and it's mechanicals. These type of projects are much easier with two sets of hands and three feet (sorry about that!).

This would be an excellent project for your teenage son to get engaged with, a great way to learn about the boat and it's mechanicals. These type of projects are much easier with two sets of hands and three feet (sorry about that!).

I totally agree. They have been awesome with this boat so far. One cranks the lift up every time while the other one wipes it down.. They have learned to wax, clean vinyl, stow gear properly, launch the boat (backing at the ramp, fender in water placement etc,. We'll do it together so we both can learn and appreciate the boat. And to show him how important it is to do things properly to avoid any unnecessary expenses. :thumbup:

(i'm diggin your user name, is it because you use wooden ski's?

martinarcher

I totally agree. They have been awesome with this boat so far. One cranks the lift up every time while the other one wipes it down.. They have learned to wax, clean vinyl, stow gear properly, launch the boat (backing at the ramp, fender in water placement etc,. We'll do it together so we both can learn and appreciate the boat. And to show him how important it is to do things properly to avoid any unnecessary expenses. :thumbup:

(i'm diggin your user name, is it because you use wooden ski's?

Awesome plan. I got my "mechanic" training by tagging along with everything my dad did years ago when I was growing up. Thumbup.gif Talk about knowledge that will save you money throughout life and help you appreciate how things work!