Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

oil level

Have a 2007 340 Indmar , seems to be burning alot of oil ,250 hrs on engine ....... Just did a change, filled a gallon jug half full and the filter was full , no spills , no low oil psi warning , is this common ?

Thanks

Have a 2007 340 Indmar , seems to be burning alot of oil ,250 hrs on engine ....... Just did a change, filled a gallon jug half full and the filter was full , no spills , no low oil psi warning , is this common ?

Thanks

Nope, I know of an 05, my 06, and an 07, all 340 Monsoons that don't burn oil.

sounds like more of a draining issue. What did the dipstick say.. did you have to add between oil changes. if you drop the nose of the boat as much as you can it will help get more our or move to a vacuum extractor.

after 3/4 of the season last year the oil warning light came on , was 2 qts low . This year checked at the 1/2 way point of the season looked to be a bit down from previous check , then yesterday 2 qts low at oil change . It seems that some oil was still in the pan due to the fact the dipstick had a bit of a dirty not clear tinge to it after the change, but I don't think 2 qts were hiding in the pan ??? ( any make of vac extractor you would recommend? ) It seems that the boat is burning it, time to hit the shop I guess ........

Thanks for the reply .....

An engine burning some oil is nothing our of the ordinary. About how many hours are we taking?

My monsoon with 586 hours now did 50 hours this season and burned maybe 1/2 to 1 qts.

300 hrs on boat , seems to burn 1-2 qts per season . 90 hrs this season . I will need to keep a much closer eye on this next season . We have been pulling heavy loads skiing and tubing so that may play a part in it ????

without tilting the boat and adding a vacuum pump to the drain hose I only get a 2-3 quarts out (although mine is a hammerhead) vauum pump gets the rest. search vacuum oil extractor as there are many types and as many opinions. Mine is a cheap set up i put together from home depot so my recommendation may not be the place to start.

Edited by G-Mack

without tilting the boat and adding a vacuum pump to the drain hose I only get a 2-3 quarts out (although mine is a hammerhead) vauum pump gets the rest. search vacuum oil extractor as there are many types and as many opinions. Mine is a cheap set up i put together from home depot so my recommendation may not be the place to start.

Thanks for the info . this is a great place for info and help !!

Seems to be a buring issue, added 2 qts mid season, now down 2 qts again , dealers here won't touch till after fall winterizations are done ( meaning spring ). Thank God it's still under warr. ( who knows what that will cover ? )

Thanks for the info . this is a great place for info and help !!

Seems to be a buring issue, added 2 qts mid season, now down 2 qts again , dealers here won't touch till after fall winterizations are done ( meaning spring ). Thank God it's still under warr. ( who knows what that will cover ? )

Whose the dealer? old Heckels marine or Skipper Bud's

Whose the dealer? old Heckels marine or Skipper Bud's

Tinus, Oconomowoc ...... I got an answer from Indmar .......... But I think I will pay to have the tests??? I can't just trade each year .....

".It really is not unusual for a marine engne to use some oil. The duty cycle of a marine is much more severe than a car or truck. The harder they work, the possibility there is to consume some oil. As long as the engine doesn't seem to be down on power and isn't blowing clouds of black smoke there probably isn't a lot to be concerned about. There is no specific number, but for a 5.7L engine like yours, a quart of oil in 15-20 hours is not considered excessive. In oil conumption investigations, we generally have the dealer do a compression and a cylinder leak down test. If those numbers are within specification, we normally wouldn't do anything but caution the customer to keep the oil level up. "

I just checked my level this weekend, still right on the money from my spring oil change. And we're just over 50 hours with a good mix of surfing, boarding, and cruising. Maybe "Engine Nut" can clarify this, what is different between our Monsoons? Not trying to fire you up but I would be pi$$ed if I had to constantly monitor my oil level, I guess I'm spoiled...?

I just checked my level this weekend, still right on the money from my spring oil change. And we're just over 50 hours with a good mix of surfing, boarding, and cruising. Maybe "Engine Nut" can clarify this, what is different between our Monsoons? Not trying to fire you up but I would be pi$$ed if I had to constantly monitor my oil level, I guess I'm spoiled...?

It's not a good feeling, that's for sure ! I will keep a running post on this one ! This boat has been nonstop BS from delivery . Had to send back to Tennessee for a new deck to be installed due to gel cracks ( 12" long no lie ) and all sorts of other items ..... Oh well .... I'm in it for the long haul now, can't just dump it . Oh ..... I called Indmar again and got a diff. person ...... same line..... it's a performance engine , It can use some oil ????