Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu gps mapping option

nemalibu

I've got it on my 2011 LSV 23. Have not used it much as most of the time we have a surfer behind the boat so we don't need it. We ordered it just to have all of the available options. Would probably pass on it next time.

I have it. Really like it on big lakes that I'm not familiar with. Never use it on our home lake.

Currently waiting for a software update from Malibu to get it working again. We'll see if it will fire up once I have the update.

I don't have one but when I place the order for mine I will make sure I get it in there. If I only stayed locally at the lakes around me, I probably would pass on the option as I know these lakes pretty well and they are all open. Kind of hard to get lost in those. Then you have the DELTA which is various waterways that break off every so often and go different routes. This place is easy to get lost in and I would definitely use it there.

I don't have one but when I place the order for mine I will make sure I get it in there. If I only stayed locally at the lakes around me, I probably would pass on the option as I know these lakes pretty well and they are all open. Kind of hard to get lost in those. Then you have the DELTA which is various waterways that break off every so often and go different routes. This place is easy to get lost in and I would definitely use it there.

I have the GPS. I’m pretty familiar with the Delta but ordered it just in case and for friends or family that may take the boat out.

I have not used it much and it is not really easy to use. I would pass on it the next time.

I don't really use it for "finding my way" on lakes unless it's a large chain. Then, you can zoom out and take a look at the map and shoot for the right channels to get you into the next lake, etc. What I find the most useful is the shallow water markings. The lake maps don't have the detail you would expect-- the screen is white where the water is deep, and blue where it's shallow. The shallow water blue marking can also be changed to different depths. It's very handy if you're cruising an unfamiliar lake to keep you away from the shallow water. It's also nice if you're trying to find a good ski spot on an unfamilar lake because you have a map to look at. If the bay you're looking at is all white, it should be safe (however a quick one pass through would still be smart).

At first, I was kinda mad that all the lake detail wasn't there when I first fired up the system, however, the white vs. blue water is very easy to see and comprehend while cruising, so you're not staring at the screen trying to read the depth levels. I can see why they did it the way they did it.

I would probably do the option again on my next boat, but I'm kind of a gadget guy....

On the software issue- I got an update last night from Malibu and loaded it. The system starts up fine now (it was locking up while starting the navigation). I haven't tested it on the lake yet, but it was working fine in my garage.

How hard is it to add, and how expensive. My 2011 247 has an unlock code screen for it, but I'm not sure if there is hardware to buy also. If the price isnt too high, I wouldnt mind having it.

I have it on my 2010 23 LSV. I love it and use it all of the time. But it really depends on your boating patterns. If you only boat at a single lake all of the time, or a small handful of the same lakes all of the time, then you won't need it or use it.

Also, if you do any night time boating on lakes where there is no reference lighting then it is extremely handy.

It has saved my a** numerous times on lakes I'm unfamiliar with or on lakes at night with no reference lighting.

I love the bread-crum feature and I also love the ability to mark waypoints on the water, especially hazards.

Adding it is just loading the software. The GPS chart plotting is already built in to the Viper Module (blue module under the helm). What is needed is a Navionics Region Hotmaps SD card. Your Malibu Dealer, or Medallion Instrumentation (manufactures the Viper Mod.) @ 800-828-8127 x314 I have also heard that West Marine carries the region maps as well?

There are 5 regions to choose frim, in 2010 it was around $150 per region SD.

INSERT SD into the Viper Mod SD card slot and power up the system to enable GPS Chart Plotting.

Adding it is just loading the software. The GPS chart plotting is already built in to the Viper Module (blue module under the helm). What is needed is a Navionics Region Hotmaps SD card. Your Malibu Dealer, or Medallion Instrumentation (manufactures the Viper Mod.) @ 800-828-8127 x314 I have also heard that West Marine carries the region maps as well?

There are 5 regions to choose frim, in 2010 it was around $150 per region SD.

INSERT SD into the Viper Mod SD card slot and power up the system to enable GPS Chart Plotting.

Yes, it's built-in to Viper, but there are additional hardware pieces needed- The controller piece (may be a part of the touch screen on '11 and up, but on my 2010 it's a separate controller near the throttle), and also a GPS receiver. The GPS receiver goes on the fiberglass in front of the windshield. (If you have Zero-Off, you end up with 2 GPS receivers next to each other up there).

Besides that, just the card with the charts.

There are some great iPhone Apps that I use. I have both Navionics and Charts and Tides. I like the Navionics best. I paid $5 for the Navionics App a couple years ago and I believe it is like $15 now. The charts load onto your phone so you don't need a cell signal. I use it a lot on the Delta. Not sure how much the Malibu option costs but I would guess four figures given what the chart systems cost on larger boats. It would be cool to have but hard for me to pull the purchase trigger when there are other options that are basically free (less than $20).

• 7 years later...